No announcement yet.

Project Mustang Consolidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I told her it was not working right she suggested I check the settings on the welder I had it set to high. I asked he if she wanted to help, she said "I will do it" that was not my intention so I desideed to do it myself. A year ago I would have said I was the better welder. She has practiced a lot and even has a certification. Sheet medal is tougher than the thicker stuff.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Nice job on the trunk repair!
      Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post

Thanks, in the truck to the right of the spair tire well

I'm glad you spelled it correctly - after all, it's despair tire

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

When I told her it was not working right she suggested I check the settings on the welder I had it set to high. I asked he if she wanted to help, she said "I will do it" that was not my intention so I desideed to do it myself. A year ago I would have said I was the better welder. She has practiced a lot and even has a certification. Sheet medal is tougher than the thicker stuff.
          Sheet metal takes practice, for sure.

Folks - Mrs. Russell teaches (my words, not hers) Agricultural Mechanics (among other things) at a local trade school. She HAS chops well beyond mine in the welding world.

Dan

Comment

• I think women make some damn good welders! When they were putting gas lines in from the wells, my friend was telling me there was this woman welding, she was like a machine just laying down beautiful welds. I was watching Wheeler Dealer. They were working on a V8 Rover and had a set of custom made headers done. The shop building them, I guess the guy's wife was bending the tubing and tig welding it. Her work would have given any guy a run for the money.
            Last edited by Huskinhano; February 17, 2016, 10:13 AM.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Sheet metal takes practice, for sure.

Folks - Mrs. Russell teaches (my words, not hers) Agricultural Mechanics (among other things) at a local trade school. She HAS chops well beyond mine in the welding world.

Dan
              Minor correction. It's an "normal" high school. She is going to a welding work shop at Lincoln this summer.

I went in the other day and tried my hand at TIG aluminum was not pretty but I made it stick together and it even held up when I hit it with a hammer. Will need more practice before I am ready to weld on intakes.
              Last edited by Russell; February 17, 2016, 10:47 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Cool! Now I know where to get aluminum welded! Sorry about the "trade school" reference - darn ol' memory ain't what it used to be.

Dan

Comment

Cool! Now I know where to get aluminum welded! Sorry about the "trade school" reference - darn ol' memory ain't what it used to be.

Dan
                  No problem, I make no promises about quality apearance or turn around time!

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

• But is the price right?

Dan

Comment

But is the price right?

Dan
                      If I do it the price is right, Jennifer's class charges reasonable rates. They have a plasma cam, half the time she claims it not working, if I had a bunch of fab work I would try to get my hands on it.

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

• Messed around in the shop tonight trying to figure out which holes I want to fill. Removed the carpet to check out the floor boards. I hammered on the shifter opening and compared to the 89 this car was an auto or the 4 cyl did not get the hump. Read some on the Internet seems like some add it and others don't. Sounds like more time and money.

After a little work.

Done for now.

The angle bars go through the floor and weld to the sub frame connectors, my idea is to ad some metal to get the hole smaller then use fire proof caulk to seal the floor to the bar. How is this normally done?

Last edited by Russell; February 23, 2016, 08:35 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

• I think I would cut the area around the tubes out a bit larger and fab a piece to fill it in. It's like doing a sheetrock repair. sometimes you have to make the hole bigger for a cleaner repair rather then farting around with a bunch of little pieces.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Floor welded to the bar? Yes? No?

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

• I think I would. it's a unibody, the more you can tie things together the stronger it'll be. It certainly isn't going to hurt anything.
                              Last edited by Huskinhano; February 23, 2016, 09:43 PM.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Floor welded to the bar? Yes? No?
                                yes, or bolted, with reinforcement plates. See the NHRA rules, it should cover you for a lot of ECTA too. I think it's 6"x6" plate on unit body cars. Not sure how thick without looking it up.

BBR thread, page 14 (I'm not sure about that crossbar but as far as I know he's never been turned away because of

You can see the bolt holes for if you wanted to bolt it in. I would use a plate on the other side of the car as well to sandwich it if I were bolting it in. Something like this (without the patented BBR mounting bolt.)

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X