Project Mustang Consolidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    It's SO cool that you're running those times with Volvo power! But the other racers couldn't tell that it was old, used Volvo cast-off. I'm sure I speak for Dick as well as myself when I say that this is exactly what we hoped for when I passed the engine along to you.

Dan
    The mustang is a good chassis for drag racing and it does have after market control arms and drag radials but it is all Volvo power! I have never pulled the valve covers, the only real change is I am not running power steering. Not sure what the 245 weights but I hear they are lighter than they look.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Not sure on the weight. Might be on the registration so I'll ask.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        Not sure on the weight. Might be on the registration so I'll ask.

Dan
        No worries, not sure how correct it would be on the registration. There is always the dump, truck scales, or my favorite, track scales!

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

• Thanks for the recap of your adventure. I wish i knew that you were going, I could have watched for you on the feed.
          Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
          79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Very cool indeed! As a point of reference, I had a 90 LX hatchback, 5 speed. The fastest I ever ran was a 13.15 ET at milan 1/4 mile.
            That was with a totally stock short block, stock cam, twisted wedge aluminum heads, roller rockers, shorty headers, explorer intake, and oversize throttle body, on drag radials.
            Your times with a completely stock engine are fantastic!

I've only run dragweek once, in 2012. I'll never run it again without AC!

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
              Very cool indeed! As a point of reference, I had a 90 LX hatchback, 5 speed. The fastest I ever ran was a 13.15 ET at milan 1/4 mile.
              That was with a totally stock short block, stock cam, twisted wedge aluminum heads, roller rockers, shorty headers, explorer intake, and oversize throttle body, on drag radials.
              Your times with a completely stock engine are fantastic!

I've only run dragweek once, in 2012. I'll never run it again without AC!
              Oh yeah AC is a requirement! That's not a bad time do you remember your mph?

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Sorry Russell, I don't remember my MPH, I want to say it was just over 100mph. I beat that T5 relentlessly and never had an issue with it - I really think the "T5 are fragile" line of thinking is fueled by paranoia.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                  Sorry Russell, I don't remember my MPH, I want to say it was just over 100mph. I beat that T5 relentlessly and never had an issue with it - I really think the "T5 are fragile" line of thinking is fueled by paranoia.
                  No worries. I wonder how many T5 just lost a shift fork?

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

• I got word from the insurance company the check was in the mail so I decided to pull the tail lights and rear bumper cover to see how much the body is pushed in. Hopefully I can get some of the pictures to load. What is the best way to move it back where it should be. Hammer, porta power, stud gun, it's junk cut it out and weld in a new one.

Attached Files

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Pick a date and come over. We'll fire up the PortaPower and shove that sucker back. I can borrow a stud gun but I really think the PP will be a better bet. Call me!

Dan

Comment

• Dan, good to talk to you this morning I wish we were closer it would make finding a day to get down there alot easier.

I am sure it would turn out better if we worked on it together, but I am inpatient. I went to HF and got at 4 ton porta power. I am sure I will need more advice along the way. At some point paint will need to be sprayed!

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                          Dan, good to talk to you this morning I wish we were closer it would make finding a day to get down there alot easier.

I am sure it would turn out better if we worked on it together, but I am inpatient. I went to HF and got at 4 ton porta power. I am sure I will need more advice along the way. At some point paint will need to be sprayed!
                          Bring it down! That red hood needs to be made purple, too - or the whole car needs a respray. Prep it at your shop and I'll come and teach you.

Dan

Comment

• That red hood will more than likely going back in the barn it has lot of dents and I want remove the hood pins. I have a maroon hood that I think is dentless. I would like to spray it purple along with the white trunk lid, and Calypso green bumper cover. The whole car needs paint but if I am going to do that I would like to paint it black, and that is a bigger elephant than I want to eat right now.

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

• We can definitely make everything purple. When you're ready pull the gas filler door and take it to the paint store for a color match - they'll be able to get it pretty close.

EDIT: Best to paint the bits before installation, of at least spray the edges. Otherwise it's likely the color coat will eventually peel at the edges and look crappy. I've installed lots of fully painted panels with success - you just have to be a bit careful - tape edges, etc.

Dan
                              Last edited by DanStokes; October 13, 2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Porta power is my new favorite tool! I moved some metal tonight. It needs to move alittle more but it's getting better.

Photos are to big to upload. They are on my Instagram. Will try later to resize them.

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X