Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beagle
    replied
    My 302 truck pan was the same as the 5.0 pan, I'd try it if it's a dual / rear sump pickup. "Back in the day" the story was E series van pan is what was in the Motorsports kit. This car has a tubular k-member?

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    The F4TE blocks are getting harder to find, there is one local with 223k for $600. I didn't know they had a fox pan or the truck pan would fit in a fox.

My plan was to keep the fox shorties flipped forward. I have 60 lb deka injectors. (would rather have 80+) The turbo I have is the eBay T78 "78/75".

I think the stretch goal is 650 tire. I have a cowl lift off hood. I have never really thought about keeping the truck manifold. I was thinking about building a box for the truck lower.
    My 5.8 was a truck engine to start with. The pan that came on mine would not fit in a Fox but FMPP makes a swap pan and pickup which, as I recall, wasn't too pricey. With the pan and header swap along with the convertible engine mounts (they're shorter) it fit right in. I don't know why the convert mounts are different but I guess they are.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    The F4TE blocks are getting harder to find, there is one local with 223k for $600. I didn't know they had a fox pan or the truck pan would fit in a fox.

My plan was to keep the fox shorties flipped forward. I have 60 lb deka injectors. (would rather have 80+) The turbo I have is the eBay T78 "78/75".

I think the stretch goal is 650 tire. I have a cowl lift off hood. I have never really thought about keeping the truck manifold. I was thinking about building a box for the truck lower.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Russell lives a couple of hours from ME and me and even that's too far. Russell and family are super folks!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Man I wish we lived closer - I have allota parts we could swap and make this happen! I look forward to seeing how this plays out!

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    You guys are right - preliminary search for a F4TE based long block is overpriced @ 800-1100 around here. That does give you the Fox oil pan and FEAD though, truck pans work, and so do the manifolds... you don't need headers for a cheap boosted mill. I'd still do that before taking on a full LS swap. There are several 500.00 ish EFI 351w's, I wouldn't fear putting a flat tappet in them although it's not my first preference. Truck motors have decent rods, late models are about 8.8:1 last I checked. Add gap, Comp 268 flat tappet, and an atmosphere of boost, go zoom.

While looking around, though, I did find a set of GT40's from a boat (F3JE CA castings, marine GT40) for 200.00 , may go pick them up just because. Thanks Russell. lol.
    Last edited by Beagle; October 2, 2021, 10:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    The super frugal and bench racey part of me is saying ring gapped 351 with truck manifold and bigger injectors, 5200 rpm trap with 3.27's on a 26" tire is 125mph more or less, somewhere in a 10.70... about 2800 at 70 with a 28" tire and 1:1 C4

According to Wallace, it should take 500 or so hp to do that, which would be well within the GT45's capabilities with GT40p's and BEE CAM! ;)

/edit ... Super Frugal me just reminded Super Lazy me to get off my ass and go clean parts. Thanks Russell!
    Last edited by Beagle; October 2, 2021, 08:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I have a Trick Flow intake on mine. I NEED the Z/28 style hood. But the basic engine fits just fine. I'm running the FMPP swap shorty headers but I'm pretty sure there are long tubes out there that fit well. Pretty sure the headers go in before the engine - remember, the 351/5.8 is a lot wider than the 302.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    I don't think the truck 351 needs an intake per se, just change the wastegate spring. Honestly, I think an HO cam and 1/2 drill bit for some Explorer heads might get you there...3.27's and 600-700 foot pounds, let it pull against something.
    The frugal said of be says give it a try! F4TE block, (need) GT40P, B303, 1.7 rockers, (have). I was thinking about one of these for an intake, get an elbow to the mustang TB.
    "JEGS 513046: Intake Manifold for 1969-1996 Small Block Ford 351 Windsor [Hi-Rise, Single Plane, Open Plenum] - JEGS High Performance" https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/5130...xoC944QAvD_BwE
    I think if the HG will hold and I can cram enough boost though the heads it might run low 10s.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    You are not the only one look up "anti ls consortium". I for one think once the hood is closed it doesn't matter what the engine looks like. Other than having to pull the heads to change the lifters (there are some dumb DOD VVT stuff on some) it's a better design than the sbf, mod, sbc. The dry intake it nice! Not having to beat the water pump out of a 4.6 is much appreciated.
    The question is which is cheaper HCI 351 swap or a cam only LS?

More than likely the T5s will not live long. So then I am looking at upgrading the transmission the new TKX looks nice but I assume you'll have north of $3k before the first burn out. I am starting to wish I would have gotten the Holley Terminator X Max. I might need to go auto. If ford power I would look into the 4R70w if I went LS I would try to find one with a 4L80 attached to it. I like overdrive!

I might max out the current combo, if I am not happy with it sell it and start over.

​​​​​​​Right now I need to focus on making boost (and sell the Lighting while the weather is nice!)
    I don't think the truck 351 needs an intake per se, just change the wastegate spring. Honestly, I think an HO cam and 1/2 drill bit for some Explorer heads might get you there...3.27's and 600-700 foot pounds, let it pull against something.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

There are lots of losers out there who have beautiful engines.
    Depends on your definition of "winning".

But I grew up in a time when manufacturers had engine stylists so I'm used to opening the hood and seeing something that somebody thought about the appearance. Nailheads were lovely as were BBBs. The Olds air cleaners we excellent and Cadillac script on the valve covers was yummy. FEs were nice to gaze on, too. SBCs with the Chevrolet script were nice, too. Then the whole thing went to crap.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I may be the only one on the planet that hates LS series engines because they're just too ugly. GMs solution was to put a plastic tub over them but that doesn't fix the problem it just hides it. The point is that GM KNEW they made an ugly engine.
    Dan
    You are not the only one look up "anti ls consortium". I for one think once the hood is closed it doesn't matter what the engine looks like. Other than having to pull the heads to change the lifters (there are some dumb DOD VVT stuff on some) it's a better design than the sbf, mod, sbc. The dry intake it nice! Not having to beat the water pump out of a 4.6 is much appreciated.
    The question is which is cheaper HCI 351 swap or a cam only LS?

More than likely the T5s will not live long. So then I am looking at upgrading the transmission the new TKX looks nice but I assume you'll have north of $3k before the first burn out. I am starting to wish I would have gotten the Holley Terminator X Max. I might need to go auto. If ford power I would look into the 4R70w if I went LS I would try to find one with a 4L80 attached to it. I like overdrive!

I might max out the current combo, if I am not happy with it sell it and start over.

​​​​​​​Right now I need to focus on making boost (and sell the Lighting while the weather is nice!)

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

There are lots of losers out there who have beautiful engines.
    You talking about me?

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I may be the only one on the planet that hates LS series engines because they're just too ugly. GMs solution was to put a plastic tub over them but that doesn't fix the problem it just hides it. The point is that GM KNEW they made an ugly engine.

Dan
    There are carbed and distributored ls derby motors. Do very well stock. Even better with a cam. I’m told there is a difference in how they sound roaring

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    For the Mustang, 10's with a 351 and a hairdryer is probably less than 10 psi, anything bigger than an HO cam, and a decent set of heads. The LS may look cheap on paper but you covered it already, you have most of the stuff for a 351 swap... may have to add some tubing length. You'd be hard pressed to put an LS in there any cheaper. I'm pretty sure you've got enough hood for a truck manifold (if I remember, can't find a pic right now). You can probably buy and build a C4 for less than a converter for a 4l80e.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X