X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    Russell - doubling down on your 401K and paying extra principle on the house are excellent decisions!
    So your mustang - is it mostly what you want - just a little down on power? Even if you sold it for your parts investment - you would lose all your sweat equity!
    Would you look forward to building another one after you retire? Would you be able to allocate funds to build another car at that time?
    Not sure what it's value is right now or how much that lump sum would help your current plans but it might be prudent to just park it for a while as it is frequently heard from us old guys " man I wish I had kept my (insert make/model) car"
    Sweat equity = education + entertainment!

I will be lucky to get my parts money out of it, but you never know fox body coupes are hot right now.

It mostly what I want. I always wanted a coupe I thought they looked better, but they really have no truck room. If I buy another one I will look for another hatch back.

I like the hunt for a car, like the build, and I like driving / racing. I am not much on storage.

My goal is to always have a "toy" if I sell this one it the money will go into another project car. I really don't know when I will retire or what my funds will be like. About that same time I will have kids in college so retirement might get pushed off.

I figure it's worth between 5-10k I would need closer to the high number to let it go. One of my sayings is I can't own them all at least not at the same time. I still have my first car and my first (failed) project car. But I have sold a few that could be man I wish I had keep.

93 Mustang GT convertible
    93 Lincoln Mark 8
    89 Thunderbird Supercoupe
    88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe
    98 Mustang GT
    89 Mustang LX hatch (already miss this one)
    79 Mercury Capri (this car was to ruff to ever be nice but would have been cool to restore)

I guess have a history of sell stuff.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Russell - doubling down on your 401K and paying extra principle on the house are excellent decisions!
    So your mustang - is it mostly what you want - just a little down on power? Even if you sold it for your parts investment - you would lose all your sweat equity!
    Would you look forward to building another one after you retire? Would you be able to allocate funds to build another car at that time?
    Not sure what it's value is right now or how much that lump sum would help your current plans but it might be prudent to just park it for a while as it is frequently heard from us old guys " man I wish I had kept my (insert make/model) car"

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Those darn grown-up decisions are tough. Hard to fault anyone for wanting to retire early - it's worked out for me. Still, sorry you don't get out to play more often.

Dan
    Thanks Dan, I did take it to the store last night. It was good to get it out. It really does have some good points. The cold A/C is worth alot!!!! I like the 5 speed and I am sure my budget turbo car would have a slush box.

I am very fortunate to have all my needs, and I am old enough to not let my wants hurt me. I need to get back on the car seat latch install so a kid can ride. There is a week I will only have one rider to daycare maybe we can DD it a few days.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Those darn grown-up decisions are tough. Hard to fault anyone for wanting to retire early - it's worked out for me. Still, sorry you don't get out to play more often.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I don't know if its my Auto ADD or what but I have been thinking about selling the mustang. I have chosen to put most of my discretionary income in to my 401k and paying extra on the house, there for there is not a lot left for speed parts. Wanting to be able to retire early is costly!

I am itching for a turbo car, the plan was, in three years it will be inspection exempt and I was going to put a turbo it.

I don't want to monkey with the budget and at my current rates I will not have the cash to dump into it. If, BIG IF, I can sell it for what I have in it I think I can buy an 1984 or older car and turbo it.

On one hand I have a running driving car, that needs very little other than more power. But I don't feel like I get to enjoy it. Right now the kids can't ride in it and JP doesn't want to. Its fun at TNT nights but I have not been to the track in 4 months. It not fast enough for any of the heads up classes, there is a foot brake bracket class I have wanted to try but have had other things so far on race day, and then the wife cost of being gone all day doing something I enjoy while she is with the kids....

Leave a comment:

• AndyB
    replied
    Safety wire is your friend. Do it once and never screw with it again.

(Until it inevitably burns out because it has to fail somehow just to annoy you....)

Leave a comment:

• JWS4621
    replied
    I have had some starter issues the last few years. Mine likes to fall out and get caught by the long tube headers. Or be barely hanging on by the bottom bolt. I have no clue I tried lock washers different bolts. I was going to lock tite it but I got to the point of changing everything over to the new motor.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Been working on the car a little this week nothing major but it's a win for me with my lack of time and motivation lately. The starter has been grinding pretty bad. I pulled it out and the Bendix was chewed up. I had a mini stater in my stash. Got it on and over tighten the post and rung it off. I had another full size starter that will not turn with a good Bendix so I pulled the both apart and put the good Bendix on the one that turns. I really hate it when I break stuff. I normally don't care about weight all I have done is add weight to this car. For some reason I was looking forward to saving a few pounds, but I don't think the weight savings is worth the cost of a new starter if my pieced together one works.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Picked up .04 in the 1/8 and .08 in the 1/4Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190107_191659_293.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	1226971

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    XLNT!!!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Got there and back in one piece. Made 6 passes have to go back and look but I think it's a new PB by a few hundredths.

1.78, 8.67 @ 77.69, 13.70 @ 97.70

All in a good day at the track!

Leave a comment:

• langleylad
    replied
    Good luck Sunday !

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Put the DRs and skinnies on changed the oil and put the stock alternator pulley back on the 3G. Had an over drive on it when I was running the race crank.

I think the electric fan will save more HP than the race crank pulley. Planning on taking it to the 1/4 Sunday afternoon to find out!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Cool to hear what the Volvo engine is doing. I TOLD Dick it had a lot of life left in it but he got what he wanted. Did you send Dick an update?

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Finished up the electric fan install. I cut down the shroud and added some tabs to bolt it in the stock location, and mounted the over flow tank near the stock location on a volvo fan. I kept the stock relay and fuses. It was pretty easy to wire. Power, ground and switched ground to turn it on. When I replaced the head light switch I got one with fog lights. I don't have fog lights so I used it to turn on the fan. The extra load did seem to pull on the alternator so I swapped the race crank pulley for the stock one and put the race crank back on the shelf.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X