Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell
    replied
    99 mph out of a VW is not bad, my car is slower than that.

The next thing I am going to have to spend money I think will be a new battery. It starts great cold but has a hard time cranking at operating temp. I have an old resistance tester and it test weak, put the jump box on it and it starts with out issue, so I don't think its the starter.

Am I missing something or do I just need to quit being cheap and replace the battery? It's old enough to need replacement as well.

Leave a comment:

• AndyB
    replied
    Nothing quite rocks like taking your ride down the track!

There's something about going out and seeing all of the big talkers go quiet, and the timeclocks starrt talking. Isn't that awesome? It tells you what's right and what's wrong (to a point... my FWD VW runs 14.7's @ 99mph... so it tells me that I should get my crappy eurobox off the track until it's RWD!) but it's the ultimate playground. In no other place will you see genuinely fast stuff moving so slowly... idling around the pits....

Track was closed this weekend for snow. I cannot wait for them to be open on the next one..

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Whoo hoo! Keep chipping away at it!!

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Driver still needs more work. I am going to try to plot out the 4 link and maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Not many cars there tonight could have made as many passes as you wanted. I made 12, three were in the 8.90's. So I got a new personal best. I am still having to take it easy off the line to keep from spinning the DRs to much.

1.899, 8.904 @ 76.86

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    The toughest thing to fix! But that's OK - we like you anyway. (good luck!)

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Planning on going back to the track tomorrow! Have not made any changes just plan on working on the driver.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Went to Roxboro Motorsports Park this afternoon got there late it was free test and tune, a ton of people came out. I only had time to make 3 passes. It spun the first two my last pass was better. I think this is my frist 1.XXX 60' and did it just make it, and new PB. 1.999, 9.077 @ 77.45

Oh and I meet the PO^2, he said the car's name was Elmo, he said he would like to have Elmo back. I told him I would sell it for what I had in it. So we will see if Elmo goes home.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Changed the rear shocks last week. The Motorcraft (original? ) were wasted. I put the KYB agx adjustable shocks I had on the 89 they only 14 ish years old hopefully it will help with the wheel hop / tire shake.
    I orderd a clutchtamer from weedburner, Hopefully it will keep the stock parts safe, and maybe make the car consistent, I think it would be fun to bracket race it.

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Last fall I swapped out the driveshaft in my 66. I found out the aluminum driveshaft out of a 94 Explorer 4 door 2WD was a perfect match. I don't know if it was my imagination or what but I swear it seemed smoother even at 35 mph

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Glad that you found a culprit for the shake!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Took the shaft to a shop in Goldsboro. They said the rear yoke needed replacement, and suggested 2 new joints. $166.11 later there is much less vibration.

Fox mustang Driveshaft

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Between lack of time and lack of drive I pulled the driveshaft. Motor and trans have normal vibration time to get driveshaft fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Front tires on the ground. Jack stands under axle tubes. Rear tires and brake drums removed.

Edit: don't think it matters but all the rear suspension has solid links.
    Last edited by Russell; January 14, 2018, 06:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    no vibrations.... you have something out of balance that won't go away when on the road.... with that said, where are the jackstands? is the suspension at full droop? you can get a vibration at full droop that is non-existent when the suspension is loaded (driveshaft slip yoke)

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Didn't feel like something was going to come loose but something might be out off ballance. It gets worse with speed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X