Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR
    replied
    I've run them up waaay fast on stands before with just the normal "heavy things are spinning really fast" type vibrations. Not the "holy crap something is coming loose" type.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Got the cover on and the rear filled. Moved the jack stands from the body to the rear axle. With both rear tires and brake drums removed I ran the car in 5th gear 2k rpms 55 mph. There was a good bit more vibration than I expected, but then again I have never ran a car on stands, but it almost felt like there was something out of balance.

Should it vibrate on stands or should I look for problems?

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I'd put the stands where they hold the suspension up under the car, probably under the axle tubes. If the stands are on the "frame" (a relative term on a unibody car) the axle will hang and the U-joints will be at a bad angle.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Pulled the oil brakes off the right side and the cover. I picked up a trick flow rear cover off CL it's overkill for a 14 second car but the stock cover had seen better days and it think it will be nice to have fill / drain plugs in the cover I seem to spend alot of time back here.

I am starting to think the c-clip eliminator is leaking through the bearing / seal not where I glued it to the housing.

what are the rules for running a car on jack stands? I would like to run it in gear with the wheels and brake drums off, maybe I can see where it's leating from.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Not sure if you can tell much from the pattern. Looks like it deep but centered?

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post

So this show flex? I don't know if I am worried about flex I figured it might not be stright.
    Kinda rare for cast centered rears to be bent.. Have 3 main housings we swap car to car going on 10-12 years now that have 3:73, 4:56 and 4:86 ratios. They do not seem bent despite being hit and hit with often.

Maybe you have a bent axle or the c-clip eliminator is in crooked?

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Scribe lines on the tubes while on the ground, jack it up and see if the lines misalign
    Scribe round the tube and tube and housing.. Make a line on the housing then another on the tube. As you jack it up, if it is off, they will not match anymore
    There is a jig you can buy to install in bearing areas on ends and the saddles.. But not worth the $$ unless you plan to narrow housings or change housing ends

So this show flex? I don't know if I am worried about flex I figured it might not be stright.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Before I went to the track I filled the rear with lucas oil might have helped alittle but the gears are still wining it's loudest at 55-65 mph if I get up to about 75 it smooths out.

The right c-clip eliminator is leaking again. Need to deside what I want to go about the gear wine and my leak. I am also not in love with the spool.

I am thinking about getting a junk yard trac loc and 4.10 out of an explorer those are normally 31 spline so I would have to get new axles. My axles are 33 spline did ford ever make a 33 spline trac loc?

To bad there is no such thing as a cheap bolt in 9"

The cheap side on me says reseal it one more time and live with the spool and the whine.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I had a grest time at the track was able to hot lap it 8 passes in less than an hour. Recorded a new personal best for this car. 2.04, 9.15 @ 77.69, 14.20 @ 97.49!

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Scribe lines on the tubes while on the ground, jack it up and see if the lines misalign
    Scribe round the tube and tube and housing.. Make a line on the housing then another on the tube. As you jack it up, if it is off, they will not match anymore
    There is a jig you can buy to install in bearing areas on ends and the saddles.. But not worth the $$ unless you plan to narrow housings or change housing ends

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    The big weight had been removed. I had one on another rear so I bolted it up yesterday. It may have been a touch better but still there.

there is a good chance they are not set up right. The PO had them set up with very little back lash. I moved the shims to get the back lash in speck but didn't adjust the pinion depth. I thought the pattern look ok ish. I will run the pattern again before I put the cover back on. It looked like the ring had been hitting the cover more. I add some clearance.

is there an easy way to see if the housing is straight?

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    If you changed ring and pinion, the mesh may not be "perfect"

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Russell, do you still have the big weight on your axle? Perhaps the noise you are hearing is the reason Ford put it on there?

Just speculating. Here's the item in question.

Click image for larger version

Name:	180px-Ford_8.8_w_damper_weight.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	1180307

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    About a month ago I drove it to Foxtoberfest 300 miles round trip more miles in one day than the whole prior year. Did great but NHV is pretty bad. I would like to get rid of the gear noise.

Finished installing new door pins. Wow so much nicer not having to slam the door. Second best thing I have done to the car other than make it run.

I think last time I filled the rear I just used what ever was cheap I think I got 75w 90? Been doing some reading sounds like 85w 140 could quite it some and I got Lucus it says on the bottle that it quotes gear wine. I love their ATF in the T5 hopefully it will be just as good in the 8.8. There was more sparkle in the gear oil than I expected with so few miles.

Oh drove it to the grocery store and advance auto. #gtfo

hope to take it to the 1/4 soon!
    Last edited by Russell; November 16, 2017, 09:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Got the car inspected today. Only 4 more years then it will be exempt! (That's if they don't change the rules) it will be nice, no one seems to want to do, the Man has been busting guys for missing stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X