X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Sorry you're feeling crappy. Probably worth a COVID test. A friend has it right now and started Paxlovid so is on the mend.
    they checked for that first thing. All negative, no flus, colds.
    they are forced to call it pneumonia due to infection of a raw area lung (you could say it was self induced - confined area welding.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	cab corner 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	927.4 KB ID:	1342933

wheezing my firecracker in the lung sound yesterday and today in the sun, got cab corner number 5 done... looks kinda nice as one layer thick, the weld seam is natural on the rust line. cleared out the last of the debris..from front of rocker to the cab corner is empty and fresh inside. ..

this one only took two years to put my fist through it. free truck stop 20gauge steel.. next round is a real panel...again. Just go full wrap with it. My stainless adventure is all done... I ran out this summer. the 4x10 foot sheet f perfect blessing. I got the entire truck rocker and cab corners..and did not have enough for this one.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	radiator support.jpg Views:	0 Size:	729.3 KB ID:	1342934

this photo has an illusion. much stronger than it appears.the golden road plucked a steel washer through the rad support bolt hole so hard, it stayed part of the old bolt. VERY violent ride. I am impressed at how well this older looking area did. I had to start over. the hole you see reveals the rust is extremely local, and that stainless is two inches away from it. the camera makes it look like there is no cab mount in the middle...there is also a thickened area, gm has it there just for rad support mount.. that is the seam of the rust hole.. it could not decay it.
    not sure or what got that violent in a tiny area. the battery is above... maybe that was an even in the distant past.

only 3 business days before inspection sticker is expired...and now I have my tools put away, and i am wheezing my man made gmc pneumonia.
    I should not need a wish me luck.. 36 years of maine inspections memorized. Just insane.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 26, 2023, 01:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Sorry you're feeling crappy. Probably worth a COVID test. A friend has it right now and started Paxlovid so is on the mend.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    repairs complete and sick as a dog
    truck did amazing for the hell ride I gave it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cab mount passenger b pillar.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.31 MB ID:	1342764
    My favorite as for looks is the cab mount repair using plasma cutter to create the shape. Welder made it like butter. Better than new. As you can see the gauge is still quite healthy..it just shows how violent my torture test was.
    . Click image for larger version  Name:	rear cab mount pass side.jpg Views:	0 Size:	632.8 KB ID:	1342765

the most difficult one was welding from the inside the cab to keep a factory appearance outside for the rear cabmount. This one has a lot of work to do.. I gave it a two half corten a588 , welded to nut plate and together at the seam... and shaped like a slight V or bowl.. as pressure increases, it goes into the factory mount as geometry..not just weld. You can see the violent damage here too.. there was plenty of steel. I am simply the animal of my truck torture test.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	frame patch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	1342766

lastly was a quick frame patch to a slam on the bump stop (this repair is common in all trucks) the bump stop sent some chunks flying ..but no fracture of cracked frame.
    on the other side is shock mount, I gave that some extra weld while in there.

Now I am very sick, it is not usual for me to have an arthrtic feeling from head to toe, and chest pain.
    there is 10 days left to go for my inspection. and I have a few more details.

the brake line that was pointed out at inspection, is not one of them.

this truck is in some kind of awesome state, and it is because of me...and 8 years with it...there I said it.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 21, 2023, 12:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    golden road test rating
    Click image for larger version  Name:	baxter park.jpg Views:	0 Size:	697.1 KB ID:	1342604

I jumped at 430 am sleepless. An inspector doubting my truck is not a decent thought to keep...and went to baxter state park leaving my yard before dawn.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	mooseweb.jpg Views:	0 Size:	823.4 KB ID:	1342605

saw a moose.
    I took it down 76 miles of maine's golden road, hitting buimp stops, bouncing sideways to finish with 1/8th of a tank and two cab mouints needing attention..
    45-55mph. if you are familiar with toyta in half road... you would understand the feat my 27 year old 392k miles truck accomplished. I then set cruise to 80, smooth as glass for the 65 mile section of I-95 back home.

all 6 hours on dash cam.(I shut down once to take a leak at rumbling brook)

the frame and all else did not budge a millimeter...not even my "crusty" welded shock mounts.
    those bumps are so hard, you can aerate the hydraulic brake lines.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	cab mounrts.jpg Views:	0 Size:	894.1 KB ID:	1342603

so, next sunny day, I can tend to this common repair.. does not take long. I even have cab mount routine nailed down...not just for my truck...
    and back to the inspection station with a new factory muffler.(very quiet). This was along for the golden road torture test.
    my big booger welds do it right every time.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	muffler web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	417.5 KB ID:	1342606

since my first inspection attempt, ICM has strangely failed, simpy did not start in the morning... and a plug wire was removed in a way that had me scratching my head (it needed hands to do what it did- raccoon? skunk? whio knows.) and I got a new coil just in case. O'reailly is very stubborn about lifetime guarantees..at 2 yrs old and 2200 miles...but I did get new ICM for free ($82.11 value). I bought the coil, am sure I have en extra now.

will post inspection drama when it is all over with. Same garage, he simply made a brake line suggestion in place that is harbored forever. I figured he must have been wanting his partners opinion, and that guy sometimes says, "if it aint broken...can't be fixed" but he was not working that day. It is a good garage...mostly. 8 yrs with this truck there.. only gets bigger and better every year.

I proved it tomyself this round. Been along 8 yrs really.. I took on each section in the summers.
    it is at a finale in structures.
    .body stuff is never ending. not doing bad there either. I'll check over the tail end of bed more closely.. I must have thrashed that skinny sheet metal ending all the beds get..seems to be alright from a distance anyway.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 18, 2023, 10:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    inspection failed! my truck is junk!

just kidding.
    This is my 16th to same garage..9 with this truck. he recommended brake line up front and muffler welded or replaced.
    these two items were mentioned for 4 years. I agreed whole heartedly. my welded flowm,aster must weight 600 pounds by now.

good to stay ahead of the curve.. I have had the full stainlessbrake line kit for at least 5 years. I only rebuilt the back half of the truck.
    looking forward to adding some shiny lines under the hood.

I am also doing the unthinkable...
    putting a factory muffler reinstalled. Call me boring.

all else is mint.
    I added a stainless gasket for EGR.. cannot trust it anymore. I am not giving it a third egr in 3 years.
    The spell with egr began after new injection. the clean and lean is roasting the egr..and it gets sticky.
    I followed advice, and sure enough, no more codes.
    it is stil plugged in and controlled by computer. the gasket does not allow it to have the exhaust anymore.

will check back in on attempt two of the inspection in coming days or weeks...
    ​​​​​​​.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sep5prediction.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	1342440
    meanwhile my own hurricane prediction is 9 days old..and actually happening out loud.
    it's like part of me has lived here for 40000 years.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    purple haze, its' in my brain

damn kenahdans.My locale in maine is the thickest haze I have ever seen.
    wasn't me welding my truck after all.. could not see length of bangor airport when driving by..

big welds. This truck has it's chore list 99% complete.
    little scabs, some sheet metal work... the biggest thing was monster frame patches welded in. Hideous of course.. but that is how I roll. I hardly grind under there.

might be hauling a boat tomorrow. Nothing to notice in drivability..as original frame was still working just fine.
    I just want a monster truck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	driver side rocker web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	1340773 Click image for larger version  Name:	passenger side rocker web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	1340774 Click image for larger version  Name:	right frame patch web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,007.5 KB ID:	1340775 Click image for larger version  Name:	left frame patch web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	1340776
    reflecting on 8 years and taking on sections each summer.
    my dad and I sat back and reeled in some memories along the way.

it is beyond 50 pounds of mig wire...and steel weight added, unknown.
    I am ready to give this one a 750 tongue weight, with ease.
    the hellwigs bumped the springs to a progressive 2350 pounds some years ago.(they get dramatically tougher as you add weight- comfortable when empty.)

a lot of metal chores.

I left the rockers nearly raw welded..just quick grind and paint. All stainless.

my heavy duty half ton. God damn it has a lot of weld. I took my time and reflected underneath it today. I will enjoy at what rots into extinction all around it. My evil revenge..
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 6, 2023, 02:41 PM. Reason: needed my reading glasses, blind typing

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    I can see electric assist bikes and such.
    Cars? Not really.
    wonder how much draw does the bike charge at.
    read where regular dryer outlets (which are in garages) are not enough for car charging.
    I have yet heard real person’s installation cost for electric cars in a home, it’s all “friend’s auntie’s nephew”
    same for me. I do see one tesla pull in here , they never clean it.
    I live in a university town, the bike trails even have pavemnt in many places..nothing but for bikes/walkers.
    Years ago I remember driving around at 1am with some frat house friends on these trails. seemed endless..I made a vow. "I am going to get a bike"
    it is only 27 years later..and the frat house was torn down years ago. LOL
    the bikes charge with a simple outlet..regular 15A house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crossmember.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1340080

back under my truck..this fuel tank crossmember was quite a chore. I think it is the most work I have done with this...I did remove bed and added cross sills some years ago...but that fuel tank crossmember was an OMG chore. I found after removing rivets the top and lower potion of C rail on driver side needed some serious help. Ended up a 12 hour day with some brutally hot welding...and ugly..

full bolt conversion now.. whole back end of truck..Hangers front and rear, fuel tank crossmember Shock mounts is the only thing left..

I need to get under it again after tank strap stretches and make that bolt a little bigger..exhaust hanger..and more photos..
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 24, 2023, 04:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster View Post
    From the current technology we have, I believe electric vehicles are just a stop gap and the future will be hydrogen.
    Hard to know how supercapacators will enter into this but it is a technology that is being explored.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster View Post
    From the current technology we have, I believe electric vehicles are just a stop gap and the future will be hydrogen.
    You aren't the first person I've heard say that. The real issue now is that the electric grid doens't have the capability to handle the charging of electric vehicles, even in the "Electric car battery production capital of the world" (i totally want to barf every time i hear our idiot governor say those words)

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    I can see electric assist bikes and such.
    Cars? Not really.
    wonder how much draw does the bike charge at.
    read where regular dryer outlets (which are in garages) are not enough for car charging.
    I have yet heard real person’s installation cost for electric cars in a home, it’s all “friend’s auntie’s nephew”

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    rivet removed with plasma

not enough time to get the crossmember in..
    I still setup the air compressor, generator, plasma to remove one rivet.
    5 minutes. I have mastered it enough to need apunch and 2 pound little handle hammer. This keepos the hole original ten millimeter. no reaming or imperfections.
    worked like a charm

sharing some photos.. A 27 year rivet...removed in 5 minutes or less.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rivet 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	306.0 KB ID:	1339629popped right out of there..while still glowing red, I hit it with a hammer and punch.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	rivet 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	335.0 KB ID:	1339630
    this used to be a real pain for anyone. Now I am doing it upside down, sitting in strange angles..truck on ramps etc.
    the humidity in new england is on par with some very old rare memories. The flooding in vermont? it is the reason we moved to maine. Grandmas original intention was vermont..but that year in 1986 or so was incredibly flooding rains. Now 35 years later...that cycle is back again.
    We also got a yellow air alert. I stopped today with some chest pain..

Age 50 is catching up to me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	s18.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.3 KB ID:	1339631
    so I bought an electric assist aostirmotor s18 1500w mountain bike.
    1200 delivered.
    top speed 30mph.
    I found my university town address has an extensive bike trail network..I mean miles and miles. Alot of it is paved. just for bikers and walkers. Through some woods, into malls, restaurants, parts stores, laundromat etc.

the cold starts on my truck use fuel. I hate sparking it up just to go 1 mile.
    I will weld up a rack for the bike if the delivery and product turn out ok,. I have seen many bad reviews... but when it is good,it is damn good.
    I also made note publically to talk of purchase. I suddenly have fed ex and signature needed delivery and left a decent message to store owner.
    anyway. this should add even more time to my old truck..

This is my ode to electric powered transportation. I will never have a car version The evolution and changes is interesting anyway.

“If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.”

― Nikola Tesla​
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 13, 2023, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    rain hole. I mean a/c drain hole

with 90 days of rain in the past 60 gone by, today was almost warm at 89F. That means heat warning by the ice bergs forecasting the weather.
    To me, it was chance to finally do some welding...

A simple chore, I was thinking of what to do waiting for my bolts for the new crossmember.
    Inspector mentioned the right front near a/c 7years ago... it was nothing to worry about, but that is his most dramatic frame breakage he had witnessed personally, in a similar truck that pulled in one day. Does not seem like an area that could ever fail...
    I dug my plasma cutter and welder out of the winter closet and went to my favorite driveway (16th year in dads driveway, thanks dad)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	truc ac hole web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	263.8 KB ID:	1339320

The a/c has dripped in the same spot so long, it made a gutter path out of the frame.Smacking area around with a hammer, it failed my test.. this is about 12 inches long, two inches wide...and strangely looks like a knife blade. I went about my monstrous ways... this is a very fancy shape and bend, plasma cutter and hammer welding made it easy. Corten a588 steel. I also made the a/c drip tube much longer, down past the top side hole it was using, to get into the frame.

The chore list is very small now... and going about looking good is never ending.
    I am going to put it on a scale at the end of my own finale.. it left off at 5600 pounds, last check a couple of years ago.I have added unknown amount of steel since then..
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 6, 2023, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    my big member.

18.8 pounds of uniquely shaped hardness.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230513_104519.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	1337117
    found this on ebay for 88 bucks delivered. 44 inches.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230513_104650.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	1337118 these curves and angles at the rivet holes.. as one piece of steel...easier to see by eye than a camera. Precision indeed.
    I also noted the holes are 12mm. that is bigger than hangers for suspension. this rail had some work to do. My bed rails are so large..did not even matter really..

no regrets. Even with weld, my old one would be lucky to weigh 12 pounds.. very old.
    between this and doubled cross sills I already have there at the bed...welded frame...very strong.
    and it will reassure anyone the frame is exact factory dimensions on the width between rails.
    new gas strap on the way too.

all is well heading into spring.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 13, 2023, 08:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Time to order up a fender? You must have a guy like Harry that can paint it for you (he's our local back-alley body shop guy) and then it's just a matter of bolts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X