1996 GMC 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nissan titan tow
    far left of photo is a glimpse of the big nissan.
    5.6L normally sounding awesome with 2 pipes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01947w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	362.6 KB ID:	1252357 a relay is keeping it from starting.
    I had just mentioned the "thick" rain from the other day.
    it can grab at any make and model. Hard to be prepared.

my neighbor asked if I could tug him out of the pit and back home. only 1 mile or so
    wanted to tug at my summer welds anyway.

the gmc looks huge next to it.. and with a smaller 5 liters.
    you could imagine how fun that little nissan must be

truck did good at the tug. had to use reverse and forward gears.
    no creaking or squeaking.
    the shame of this manual v8 gmc is feeling infinite... a reason it needed welds in the first place.
    an owner got too ambitious many years ago with tow ability. I am the one fixing it since I have owned it.

I can call it a full half ton again.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 27, 2019, 09:55 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• working the new buzz
      looking over the truck this AM,
      30.6F was the low
      our coldest day since July

the new welds are being stubborn with the paint I used. It's not coming off but leaving a thin layer instead. the new buzz is dialing into the cold. I am sure quench is still the word for it.. change my mind.

anyway, still wanting all the tools for frame working...
      I found this 60A plasma cutter in the less than 200 dollars search (a number I play around with sometimes)

Click image for larger version  Name:	plasma.jpg Views:	1 Size:	124.8 KB ID:	1253001

so I bought it.
      even when not on sale the price is very good.
      other sellers have it at $319.

reading the ad carefully, they mentioned the brand names into their chips.
      reminded me of the american marantz stereos, picking and choosing what they wanted from overseas to build something.
      I have done the same in my little electron motivatons

anyway, first project is the new hangers, and I was line drawn with grinding when I found friction welding.
      this truck ran for that long... it made new steel out of connections. It is an act of science that is against odds

I knew i needed something like the plasma. I also found too many complaints on the 50A versions...I mean everywhere I checked reviews.
      it was actually discouraging.

So, I stepped it up to this cheap 60.

with a 30 day return, I'll be attacking scrap in the cold to be sure its good.

18mil maximum, 14mil nominal on steel cutting ability.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 5, 2019, 07:35 AM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
          I guess this one will take a week to get here..
          I'll be going at a chore right away. its getting cold but can play with bolts and new holes anyway.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• the hunt for white october
            its a famous movie with the russians who shoot at school kids.
            or is that a submarine movie

white dawn. that's the one with russians and school kids
            anyway...

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02084w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	433.0 KB ID:	1253052
            something cold going on...
            I hope the frozen twizzlers stay together

for the 1200 pound glacier it may gain in the back.

at 37F my truck ices over.. I have to knock off some degrees to my reading.
            thermistor too close to the building I guess

it seems we went to 24.5 or colder.. shows 27 in the thermometer memory

the iron dust of july is a movie in the making...
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 6, 2019, 05:43 AM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• the only recall
              23 years..
              may as well humor the trucks only error today

my wipers turned on, but intermittent was goofy, the washer switch would be random, and sometimes wipers would not shut off when they were told to

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02085w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	231.5 KB ID:	1253237
              so, I swapped in the new board, used some seal all at the top..back to new.
              this second board is a valeo, showing truck was already updated a long time ago.
              it outran the dope on the resistors, and that challenged the tiny relay spring tension.

the new board, its third.. has ceramic coated resistors, different outer color. I think this will nail it for some time. the little relay will be the fail again. the tiny tension inside them can only spring back and forth so many times. I figure a decade or more anyway.

I am impressed.

... this truck has zero errors.
              all switches, all functions.
              knock on welded steel.. lets hope it enjoys this time in space for some years to come.

..and the plasma cutter is on its way. I hope to be trying it out on some indian summer day soon.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 8, 2019, 09:26 AM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Check if you can just change the cord to 220. My kid bought a 110 corded model and the seller said just change plug ends. The 110 version was working to cut 3/16.. 220 plug cuts 3/8 fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  Check if you can just change the cord to 220. My kid bought a 110 corded model and the seller said just change plug ends. The 110 version was working to cut 3/16.. 220 plug cuts 3/8 fast.
                  I would have to go generator for the 220.
                  that is my next gadget... don't need it quite yet. just playing with gmc frame and old boat trailer.
                  I also found some tricks in the garage to narrow down the circuit just for what I got plugged in.

would love to blast some 1 inch plate for giggles some day
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• hood adjust ?!
                    why didn't anyone tell me.

went 5 years with the manual trans diesel grumble shaking gas stations and old people and house pets for almost 5 years.

anyway, looks nice. going over details this fine autumn day thinking of the 7 months under the ocean season...at 20 below.

all ready.

I have something emerging in the back end handling its like a cradle rocking feeling..fast motion. I found the sway bar kit for a burban, might use it.
                    as for now its quite ok. It reveals on the rutted right lane of the highway at 80mph or so. I am finding all vehicles have to do something a bit goofy swapping lanes there anyway.

it is nice to have a toy like feeling weighing 5000 pounds. its very confident.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• $200 plasma cutter 60

I just went to leave a feedback.. price is back up to $284
                      By chance looking for instructions, I found it amazon for $419
                      holy cow.

ebay link

Anyway, wired in the plug, hooked up regulator etc..
                      will be trying on metal soon enough. I just had to verify that it turns on.
                      the dial reads up to 63 on full amps.

no errors yet.
                      the air hookup is vague, found a guy on you tube playing with the 50 cutter
                      same hoses and regulator...and he paid 60 more for the 50 earlier this year.
                      same company

found aliexpress as well.. english alibaba I guess.
                      a discount there too, on the 50.

ebay has been my thing for 18 years now.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 14, 2019, 03:06 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• priiiis'es batteries

what was that word for more than one prius.
                        priiii
                        priuses

my neighbor has a prius.
                        I learned today he needed to haul them batteries to get rebuilt.
                        talking of cost etc.
                        I found he had no ride.

I offered to use my truck, as the batteries need to vent, especially moving around over the road bumps etc.
                        I also did it for free.. about 30miles round trip.
                        my building is retired and elderly, disabled.

there is something peculiar about batteries. I knew they were not there on the ride back.
                        they only weigh 100 pounds. I carried them into the garage.. my gimpy leg did not mind.
                        there is more than weight to a battery pack. a nystery heaviness.

I am done making fun of rice.
                        I am however going to save some customers, one at a time.

in less than two weeks, towing a nissan, and hauling prius batteries.
                        we got the craziest cycle of winter coming on.. it does not happen but every 30 years.

anyway, this warm autumn, its allowing me to plan on some last minute metal chores.
                        I want the back end to take on 1000 pounds.. that way I can ignore my truck in the yard for the winter.
                        the killer seems to be ice pack and melt, and storms piling on.
                        I am simply aiming to add bolts through the new steel and old hangers.

god damn that gets heavy. I only got a wimpy tail truck after all. Welded.. I digress.

found my weather for the next two days
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	bombo2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	125.4 KB ID:	1253797

joking aside... it is one of the reasons I love welding this 96.
                        it responds to mild steel and weld perfectly.

my subaru used to perk up to the weather, instead of sag down. I will always find barometers and many other facts amazing with steel.

(a mechanical barometer uses bi-metal mated to gain a reading)
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 16, 2019, 05:20 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• realizing home

for giggles, after watching TFL trucks torture test on the dodge to mt. evans

I found I can shave off 102 miles if I cut through canada to head west.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mtevan.JPG Views:	1 Size:	197.5 KB ID:	1253972

interesting.
                          To go to chicago etc...
                          I better get my passport.

detroit is 848 miles... less than 1000.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 19, 2019, 12:27 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• I don't shortcut through Canada because their Mounties are adzholes...
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              I don't shortcut through Canada because their Mounties are adzholes...

I had heard the legends of the mounties.
                              I actually got a ticket in a tom hiltons once, thought it was a bar...took my beer in with me.
                              oh wait.. tim hortons.
                              I nver did pay it, but did make a phone call to square up some years later.
                              they said they had no record of it, don't worry about it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02091w.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1254180

today I swapped a belt.. it had the "8 foot chirp".. this is one little area on the belt, which is 8 feet long causing a chirp.
                              I got to looking at it, and am impressed. it gathered a sheen of metal and you can just start to see the rib lines.
                              still worked great, but response to thermals was going away and I don't want any noise at all.
                              this has been on the truck since I owned it.

was not new when I bought it either.
                              back to super quiet.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• industrial reign
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02093w.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	599.0 KB
ID:	1254259 autumn has gone by, blizzards in coming days.
                                30 below is hours away.

speaking of metal under my belt..
                                the rain is drenching now. nothing of nature growing wants much.
                                went for a ride with the wipers working exactly as intended by GM.

I figure its the cleanest rain in the world.. the storms that send a straight line north from the atlantic east of the pig states.

a time to clean off the flux in gods way
                                the summer welds becoming cold steel
                                Should do good for yet another round of winter.

a power problem at the garage I go to, leaves me with the plasma cutter sitting here. I hope its fixed soon. I need to get two new bolts in the old hangers just to respect that much more.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X