Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rain
    long time to wait for rain.
    according to bangor almanac. January 18 got some. I do not recall 40 something anything in january, but anyway, that was 67 days ago.
    That was the last rain.
    2 months and about a week.
    prior to that was christmas day in bangor.

two rainfalls in 90 days.

went for a ride being curious. I have not seen the rain in this truck since day of purchase (jan 30). No hitching or wet signs anywhere. I intentionally hit some deeper grooved puddles, got the belt to squeal.

in maine lights need to be on with wiper, good test for the alternator, as defrost is always on at those times too. I could only imagine how annoying that gets adding 60 more amps to the parking. No regrets on the LED swap at all. That belt must have been real loud if to do what I just did on the oem circuit. Got a few 30 seconds of squeal, dialed back in. alt gauge did not move during the slip.

Big footprint, the groovy roads filled in with 3 to 5 inches. Sustained 55-60 no problem. Good heavy truck.

I am looking forward to the headlamps over to LED with ballast as final amp drop. This color black is very hot rod mystique. The LED does something nice. I spotted a white z71 in my travels, already swapped to the LED, very vivid, made the bright white paint look dull...with a hint of the xenon. I must say these things are beautiful. I always look without fail, even if they are rusting.

The LED was a huge change for the better. This time of year with melting snow, drenching rain, the ground layer fog contrasting 5 months. Tropics is not this wet, this fast. Excellent proving grounds.

always will be.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 26, 2015, 04:40 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• drain plug key
      got this from england.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	drainkey 001.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	818.5 KB
ID:	1019368

being a former quick lube guy, the drain plugs as female anyhting are a real p***y. A pun somehow.
      One look at this from the web, and I bought it.
      On the back it mentions specific gearbox. For this gmc, "bmw" is the keyword. The Get Rag build, and New Venture is the same.

the right tool allows the very thin walled drain plug to not dig in anywhere, the depth of the tool is the keeper.

Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Fancy tool, Barry! To invade the interior of my Getrag gearbox behind the Mercedes I just took an all thread bolt with a 17mm head and screwed a 17mm nut all the way down to the bolt head. Then I cut off the stub of the threaded section and welded the two together. Any 17mm socket or wrench will turn it and the cost was - FREE!! But when I'm rich I might get one of those fancy wrenches.

I thought I had a pic but I can't find it - oh, well.

BTW - that plug was REALLY tight. I hit it with some of that penetrating oil that also freezes and it did the trick.

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; March 27, 2015, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Fancy tool, Barry! To invade the interior of my Getrag gearbox behind the Mercedes I just took an all thread bolt with a 17mm head and screwed a 17mm nut all the way down to the bolt head. Then I cut off the stub of the threaded section and welded the two together. Any 17mm socket or wrench will turn it and the cost was - FREE!! But when I'm rich I might get one of those fancy wrenches.

I thought I had a pic but I can't find it - oh, well.

BTW - that plug was REALLY tight. I hit it with some of that penetrating oil that also freezes and it did the trick.

Dan
          I am familiar with them, with rage.
          the shape of the right socket should get the tight ones. I got a look already, and I hope I can shrug off what appears to be a chisel tap on an edge of the drain socket.. looks like a little gouge...but original anyway, top and bottom.

Up top by the shifter, it seems someone went lucas or other above 50F super fluid...clear color, coagulated (another reason for keeping a cold insulated shifter). But it is a tough tranny no doubt, no errors to feel out. I am liking how silent everything is getting. Its quiet like a cadiilac only with a bigger engine bay...and a manual tranny.

most go ape with making sounds at the sight of a manual tranny...must be the racing world influence. I do the opposite sometimes. This one is a great candidate for long distances.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• door pin and bushings
            spring is here in maine. Time to let it hang out.

yep. that is cow poop on the tire. Click image for larger version

Name:	tuckdor 001.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	739.8 KB
ID:	1019748

just kidding. it is still 12 below at night.

my sister asked about the tall shifter. I guess it really is a unique sight. This photo should explain it. That is my actual seat position to drive comfortable. I can push clutch all the way in to avoid reverse grind. I may be half a sasquatch.. odd shape.

interesting chore. I was doing it for alignment, but oh, it is much more.
            did you know the door changes shape to a bad pin or bushing?
            that is quite a smooth area now to wax up, ignoring the dent.

Name:	tuckdor 004.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	765.4 KB
ID:	1019749

this is the bottom of door, they hold the busings there.

4 bushings, one bent pin. Back together. A big thing to notice is the seal tightness when bushings are good. Ready for the rain season.

Name:	tuckdor 003.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	770.0 KB
ID:	1019750

this is the top hinge at the cab. this one got new pin. My bro n law has been running these since the late 80s. He had the exact spring tool for the door in his box. Made easy work of it, my brother was my helper.

interesting enough..the door is original. the cheap paper used for the gvwr sticker still in place, near perfect. Odometer swap evidence to add to the list.

the biggest chore today was putting in the expensive gm tranny fluid, with updated part number. The stuff that came out was terrible...and gear fluid. I am glad to have tackled that to get the right stuff in. I am going to have to live with some noise at idle, but under load is quieter. The gm fluid is incredible. When it breaks the viscosity layer, to dig in deeper than other stuff never thought of.. its almost like an invisible cloud passing out of it. Some in the eyes and taste. I remember this from the quick lube days. The real fancy fluid...it goes molecular to conquer.

To add fluid needed the pump you screw on top of the jugs. No problem getting the gm stuff to move. I had learned this will not take all 2.75 quarts upon a drain, a very long time ago. This one drained out a little more than 1 and 3/4, and took 2 quarts of the new stuff back in. This means it was down some. Ignoring that small amount always, as thick dinosaur gear fluid never goes in without the swollen puss bubbles for anyone. The solid fluid shrinks down to the initial adding later on. No leaks, except something from gear shift boot seal, who knows how old that was. When those leak on these trucks, you'll get a whiff near full engine warm. This one is very pleasant, no errors to find. Another trick for these is not having a perfect seal at the top for some of them...as there is no vent, but someone must have give something new to this one.

That old fluid sure had a strong flunking odor...the gm stuff is sweet. You'll know if there is a problem for sure.

Ready to go. The next flush, that will be even more pure as GM fluid. For now, I know it is safe and what is in it.

..and lastly, I passed another vehicle today for the first time in 17 years on a secondary road. This truck gets up and goes.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 30, 2015, 06:56 AM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• icy ride

Glare ice on the road, 4x4 engaged, thumping along in the 40s mph.
              passed by an altima.
              on the way back, sun was up under clouds, and got the feel down. 70 miles round trip.
              ice the whole way, small section of I-95 had none. I did find I worked into speed limit, just had to learn this road condition.
              I do not know where the confidence comes from, for all the drivers potentially to be in the 70 car pile up.

Definitely want T-rated and greater than 116 for the sidewall.
              other than my slow learning curve, the steering box not as rack and pinon will leave me in the old school lane.

Silly trip this morning, pay pal error with my bank...actually ridiculous. Oh well.
              I cannot wait to be done with this camping trip forever.
              I am to a point, every oncoming car, or one creeping up behind... "masochist."
              How little did the big scary daddy make them feel to push themselves this far.

That is me and my maine "insanity."

transmission is headed for wonderful. It is falling into place as I knew it would. It has the right fluid for sure now. I have concluded this truck is 60 to 80k miles. the front tires are weather cracked at the bead... it sat a long time. A spot on both front rotors is not like the others. Been 2000 miles now, that has not erased itself. Got a 52F forecast, will go for a drive. I am glad the dealer got this away from the boom box kid going for broke to run it.

Leaving dunkin donuts, it was third gear and a little fuel that got the limited posi spinning...not on purpose. I did indeed buy a factory monster version of a regular old pickup.

Looking over the new door pin/bushing setup, it already thuds like a new vehicle upon shutting. I know to treat this like my bashed B-pillar corsica, let things take their time. It is actually a pleasant steel to guide around.

Today, removing a bucket from the side panel of the extra cab driver side, I got one hand in on the back of the door latch pin, and took it right out.. 5 minutes. I am loving that. On a single cab, it is not so easy to get that out.

Adjusting, pushing boundaries, this , like the corsica, needs top too tight by its own nature. In time the bottom tucks in as the top lets out, becomes a perfect seam. I have already gained very close to factory...and the top hinge pin is tougher than original. I went too far on the latch pin thickness with a tube overlay, slammed the door and cracked the door jam to my own disbelief, but it is good to go.

first welding chore this weekend.

..and an embarrassing memory to share. A pink floyd tribute band is playing in bangor maine, my dad calls me, asks me to go. I cannot do big noise.. but would go if i could. He then got rambling on about a 65 plymouth fury, I was sitting next to him in my little baby seat with a baby car steering wheel in 1973. Little blue boxer gloves hanging from the mirror... listening to pink floyd was something I liked.

Why I cannot just talk about the current car I am working.
              He is in for a surprise like I was, the first aggressive throttle with this truck.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 31, 2015, 09:31 AM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• You probably already know this.. Did you add limit slip additive to your limit slip rear?
                Does it call for it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  You probably already know this.. Did you add limit slip additive to your limit slip rear?
                  Does it call for it?
                  No, the dealer did something with it. Never got details, he just said rear end work had been done , along with cv up front.
                  in the rpo, it is listed as some common one.
                  3.73.. I think it is gt4 or something.

I was headed around a glare ice corner, in a place called the alton woods. Where anything would just plow at the angle, right off to the death next to the crosses already planted in memory of others...

the left hand turn, plowing front end began, I thought the snowbank was going to carry me around.

No. It did not.
                  What happened next blew my freaking mind.

the back left wheel dug in somehow, all by itself, sent shards of ice by my window going faster than I was going down the road. Pulled the front end back to the left until steering was gained.

I knew then, it was something z71 of the real kind...or wherever it came from.
                  A trick for any diff is the slippery cool tranny, that helps all kinds.
                  I learned open diff is the greater survivor, but there is some smart inbetweens.

oh, found this truck a twin, I'd buy it, if I could:

2800 bucks. Big tires.

Name:	00h0h_5mlUaOuEejR_600x450.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1020302

edit,
                  the diff question was good. I only check for non-locking, as that equals death.
                  This one is gt4 (dup with 5 x 1) whatever the hell that means. 3.73 gear

for pre 2004 trucks, it will be in the rpo codes as g80, next to the gt4. Mine is a very short list of rpo, no g80. With nearly every option known to trucks..just bizarre.
                  I learned custom order, so just go with it.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 1, 2015, 03:09 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• rpo codes
                    had some time, checked the list for 1996

Code:
                    V73 VEHICLE STATEMENT USA/CANADA
                    OSG PLANT CODE OSHAWA, ONT, CANADA (TRK)
                    Z88 MARKET BRAND GMC
                    Q4B GVW RATING 6,200 LBS
                    NA5 EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER 0
                    FE9 CERTIFICATION EMISSION, FEDERAL
                    VXS VEHICLE COMPLETE

K60 GENERATOR 100 AMP
                    L30 ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 5.0L, CPI
                    MG5 TRANSMISSION MAN 5 SPD, GETRAG, 84MM, 4.00 1ST, O/D
                    GT4 AXLE REAR 3.73 RATIO
                    NRQ EXHAUST CLOSE COUPLED

RSA RESTRAINT FRT SEAT, 208, AUTO, PASSIVE
                    UL0 RADIO AM/FM STEREO, SEEK/SCAN, AUTO REV MUSIC SEARCH CASS, AUTO TONE, CLOCK, ETR
                    UQ3 SPEAKER SYSTEM PERFORMANCE ENHANCED AUDIO
                    YE9 CONVENIENCE PKG COMFORT & DECOR LEVEL #3
                    NP5 STEERING WHEEL LEATHER WRAPPED
                    N33 STEERING COLUMN TILT TYPE
                    79D TRIM COMBINATION CLOTH, RUBY RED (D) (96)
                    79I INTERIOR TRIM RUBY RED (96)
                    K34 CRUISE CONTROL AUTOMATIC, ELECTRONIC
                    AE7 SEAT FRT SPLIT, DRIVER, PASS
                    AJ1 WINDOW TINTED DEEP, ALL EXCEPT W/S AND DRS
                    AM7 SEAT RR FOLDING
                    AU3 LOCK CONTROL SIDE DR, ELEC
                    A20 WINDOW RR QTR, VENT SWING OUT
                    A31 WINDOW POWER OPERATED, ALL DOORS
                    B32 COVERING FRT FLOOR MATS, AUX
                    B33 COVERING REAR FLOOR MATS, AUX
                    C60 HVAC SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONER FRT, MAN CONTROLS

VB3 BUMPER RR STEP, CHROME, IMPACT STRIP
                    VK3 LICENSE PLATE FRONT FRT MOUNTING PKG
                    V22 GRILLE RADIATOR, CHROME
                    41U PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, BLACK (02)
                    B85 MOLDING B/S EXTERIOR, BRIGHT
                    B96 MOLDING WHL OPENING
                    D48 MIRROR O/S LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTRIC, COLOR.
                    E63 BODY EQUIPMENT FLEETSIDE PICK-UP BOX

R8N CONTROL SALES ITEM NO. 64
                    SLM SALES PROCESSING STOCK ORDERS
                    TFE SALES INCENTIVE COMMITMENT PLUS
                    ZQ3 SALES PACKAGE DRIVER CONVENIENCE II
                    ZY1 COLOR COMBINATION SOLID
                    1SC PACKAGE OPTION 03
                    1SZ DISCOUNT OPTION PACKAGE

PF4 WHEEL 16 X 7, ALUMINUM
                    XGD TIRE FRONT P265/75R16-114S WOL R/PE ST TL AT
                    YGD TIRE REAR P265/75R16-114S WOL R/PE ST TL AT
                    ZGD TIRE SPARE P265/75R16-114S WOL R/PE ST TL AT
                    JB5 BRAKE POWER, DISC/DRUM, 6,400 LBS

6GF COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (6GF)
                    7GF COMPONENT FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (7GF)
                    FK2 ARM LH TORS BAR SPRING ADJ (A)
                    FK3 ARM RH TORS BAR SPRING ADJ (B)
                    YD3 AXLE (BASE EQUIP) FOR SCHEDULING GVW PLATE
                    YD6 SPRING RR, BASE EQUIPMENT
                    I can see the confusion must be sales packages. As customers can do anything. A common story, a friend bought a 1984 half ton, the pumpkin was so big it could hit the ground in the wrong scenario. 15 inch weak walled steelies with hubcaps..all factory squashy suspension. Rear end belonged more in a dump truck. The factory built it.

then , like my truck, it is the other way around. labels that do not match completely, etc. Not sure what is what. As long as it is truck sized and matching the work of one, I learned to go with it.
                    the highlights for this one, and 96-98:
                    • cpi injection, 8 inectors, (spider)
                    • the big deal for 88 onward was the computer selected suspension.
                    • I took note the gvwr is 200 less than an automatic tranny truck,
                    • and the getrag at 84mm is hefty compared to the rest of the manual tranny listed. New Venture was the next name for the same tranny.
                    • the tires are the biggest for the whole generation, normally found on a z71.
                    • 16x7 was as big as the wheel had went at the time
                    • the biggest thing to me, was the reduced oil amount for a truck tranny, holds only 2.75 quarts. I lived in realtime the invention and stocking of it on the shelves. Working at a quicklube in 93-4, It was the only tranny of all cars known where we were warned to wear glove and goggles..the GM fluid bonded to a molecular level. So, if to read about an idiot that cracked one in half on his 150hp 8 to 1 headered free fiffy... you'll know the cause was not strength, it was the wrong fluid. I could not wait to find one eventually. Tractor trailers my whole life..you would not believe what is flexing to 80000 pounds riding a film of oil. Normally, only dumbasses break the manual tranny.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 1, 2015, 04:30 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• I'd simply put a locker in it, the g80 really wasn't much of a "locker" it is a limited slip which means not much at all.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        I'd simply put a locker in it, the g80 really wasn't much of a "locker" it is a limited slip which means not much at all.
                        I've had my fun with that stuff.

The last place I found it good was a woods rig up to its knees with 110,000 pounds climbing out of the muddy forest.

the last car I wrecked was a monte carlo SS, that sent me for a ride onto someones lawn..and a tree.
                        No locker for me. I associate it with straight line, short lived sprites and a show truck sitting still.

the rest is lying about the real performance.
                        I need rally truck, animal, legs kicking... like a ten geared subaru.

There is a bad open diff, but it is so rare, I have only seen it a handful of times. Even a subaru transaxle can gain it (I just have never seen one). This would be severe error in the diff, or a body so bent, it kept one side open.

the other great purpose for the real diff swaying its dynamical use... it finds the straight body by miles on the tires as evidence.

..and the tranny does not hold much more than 2 quarts after all. I did indeed get a full swap in.

The last .25 quart missing is the viscosity of whatever was in it, stuck to walls and bearings. Very normal change. Do not need to think of that anytime soon.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 2, 2015, 10:38 AM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• door jam

Got to my welding machine today. I cracked the door jam as mentioned in aprevous post. This was a great spot to weld. Door fit is like factory, only tougher. Click image for larger version

Name:	doorjam.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1020737

took pin out, welded the area. I then put pin back in and welded 3 spots for the washer, and a pressure gain weld in the middle of distance to outside seam that I cracked. Outlined in blue. finally, quick shot of black rustoleum. I do not need to overthink the 41U (mist black) color code.

Name:	jamweld 001w.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	1020863
                          another shot of the crack. I may go the extra spots, for the full solid line, but it is many tons psi beyond factory sheet already.

70000 psi is sure nice for that spot. The whole cab feels different somehow. This is also the door with new pins and bushings, so this chore was good and ready. latch pin is still replacable, just unbolt like normal. Click image for larger version

Name:	washed1.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1020738

went through a car wash with the big spinning cloth blades, and blue corral out the other side. Went for the ultimate version, an underside spray. This really is a nice looking truck, errors included. Frame is still painted with something. Peculiar to see that 345k miles odometer. Maybe it is this tough.

I then gave it a big vacuum with a 5hp garage version. This was courtesy of my father, he digged my old truck. Seeing him at the helm, he was laughing at himself, he has 6 million miles as Class A, since 1973.His last stick shift pickup, he informs me, was a 1973 ford with a 390 4 speed. I used to ride in it in a baby seat at 6 months old. He was trying to double clutch and other strange maneuvers. It took him all of five miles of stop and go traffic to nail it like the pro he is.

If my dad approves, it is real. I'll keep giving it the extras I know. He got so fed up with vehicles, his wife is the one that owns one. His last vehicle was 1985. After the wash, I found the real 4x4 logo on the back. RPO codes do not lie..someone had fun with a z71 logo. This did ship with a decor and label package, and the tires are normally only found on a z71. Custom orders get away with the stickers I guess. Click image for larger version

Name:	doorseal.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	1020853

found the extremely rare door seal for too much money at rockauto.
                          Seriously, I could not find a photo resembling it until looking at 1970s to 1980s. I hope this fits. It is the upper seal, top half of door, pinched to body.
                          This will finish the door openings. The seal works now, ugly, someone cut half of it away. Most likely in a boom box crack smoking gangsta rage. (or perhaps simply ice storm). So, for me, this is about resonance, gaining factory lines..
                          Nothing to see here.

After the cab mount rubbers and rockers, it will get this aging tank into thudding pleasantly like new. It is already quite nice. I found the cab corners are 3 layers deep, the rockers are two. Those will be 3 deep soon. The work along the way from previous owners kept the strength needed all around. All factory measures. Upgrading and maintenance, makes a nice truck.

I also painted inner fender under hood, driver side, after blowing out a nest.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 4, 2015, 10:08 AM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• door seals

I knew i got the wrong one. LMC has a photo on the net, glad I found it. Click image for larger version

Name:	CSDDW1.gif
Views:	108
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1020878

so, getting my part from lmc.

I needed #2 in photo.

upon setting up account, they asked for who referred form the internet.
                            Bangshift.com is listed. Click image for larger version

Name:	0023.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	1020883

I knew that stuff changed within this one model. One could hack an old version into a new one if they split the seam of seal or something. This was a drama when they were less than 5 years old here. This one has both the factory versions for 1996 on the truck now, and look like neither ones offered by LMC. Will start with the ones ordered, go from there.
                            I found a plastic trim on either side of windshield, those slid down to about half way down the side of the glass, must be resting on the back of fender well I guess, as the stopper. Not in the right spots.

if it is this quiet now,I guess it is headed for cadillac silence straightening out these seals.

For now, the cold wind is coming back through from the north, storm gone. That sun is going to win eventually..but tonight going for the teens F after a wet snow.

No leaks or draft anywhere.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 4, 2015, 03:41 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• steel like glass
                              interesting article.
                              the summer that never was

my first years here are just breaking the records this decade. That was the cold spell for 80s and 90s. The odds of getting off a plane from san antonio in february 1993 with a sunburn and a short sleeved shirt... the record still stands today. -28F. I was standing in it, feeling my head dry out like a raisin letting the moist version of the sun go.

That is called a brain stroke.

Finding frozen ground and frost in june was not uncommon. I wandered the 40 acres in lagrange maine, and beyond. All by foot, then on my home made snowmobile and a little 4 wheeler. The fairy tale that this place recovers every year, is still every year.
                              I hope another exodus happens. I am leaving too.

This year, a gmc with a cracked door jam is a giggle. Cracked like a piece of glass that does not shatter. Spidering from a center by something tougher. My first road going car cracked the frame in 3 spots. A 1978 delta 88. So this year. Not all that bad. The steel is the real tell all. Thermometer is just the air.

I had mentioned the factory rubber anything failing, cab mounts, weather seals etc. Still the same today...
                              cures by aftermarket in the mix. the silicon based treads, plug wires, all kinds of goodies.

My vote for greatest of all time is now in place... the 1996 spider injection. Tubes tucked in for safe keep from a central heart feeding it.
                              Speak your facts if you will..but be careful. True wisdom is the only one that keeps going.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 5, 2015, 07:15 AM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• fuel pump

I m only guessing frozen. it went from 62 to about 12F.
                                Relay working, no codes.
                                No sound of pump. Click image for larger version

Name:	P80001S_ANG__ra_p.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	1021038

Simply ordered the whole thing, carter brand.
                                I did bang on the bottom of tank. Checked wires. All good. Pump nothing.
                                This is peculiar ending, as it was very quiet, engine full power.
                                My decision for a whole new setup, as a former crew chief, this list went through my head in 5 minutes. All these events are within 1 week:
                                • I found they used the same pump ground to frame, but cut and heatshrink connected to wherever it was. This means changed at least once.
                                • A story at another forum saw the fuel gauge go berzerk before pump fail. Mine did this yesterday. Thought it was the terrain I was on...apparently not.
                                • A peculiar odor at the long line at sam's club while pumping, almost electrical. I was alert over that. That's alot of cars bleeding across 20 gas pumps.
                                • I joked with my dad after welding.. I did not unhook the battery. Seeing the size of the tiny pump, that could be all it took to kill it.
                                • the pump got louder when I was boosting my subaru a few days ago. The subaru was drained, the truck was the booster. This means pump was already getting fed from the backside. Bad pump.
                                • weld on door jam was another reason...static monster.
                                • Yet another one was removing boom box ghetto boys dangling wire left on the carpet.
                                • Amp increase on a solid state wimpy chinese pump.
                                  • 33 bulbs to LED, electronic flasher
                                  • painted inner fender well near ecm
                                  • removed some paint from top of ecm cover (metal heatsink)
                                  • 8.8mm accel wires, zero bleed on factory coil
                                  • "captain commando" electric trailer brake gadget removed entirely
                                • and as mentioned..62F, to about 12F, and 50-60mph snow squalls giving way to sunshine today.
                                  • first day to see above 45F since owning

My subaru must be at least 4 times pumps killed along the way. All those welds. Peculiar monster, takes a day or two to find it.

I bet it comes on before delivery shows up.

that is a strong design to take on such things. I wonder how many years old it is.
                                I found the carter pump uses Carbide and brass bearings instead of plastic.

maybe quiet pump is not so good. I hope this one is louder.

this vid was excellent. I go about the same tests different, but this was thorough.

my own fails the jumper test (volts good, pump bad). Resistance test is the same at 3.1
                                A weird test on my own. If the jumper reads 12volt upon the multimeter to pump..pump is instant ground out. You can judge it by the speed of how fast to ground.

I may cut a lid open from the bed side to pump access, as seen on you tube. This is not a happy subject with these trucks. Especially one that kills it one after the other. I hope that is not the case for this one. It seems to be painted black or well aged, assuming older for now. Breaking the straps if I have to. Not a problem.

..and I still think it was way too quiet. I would guess original. plastic seized.

I am one for delcos and delphis..
                                but the carter has always been good for me. Usually a something extra to ponder. The ad found shows roller vane, carbide and brass. Assuming these are changes from the quiet showroom floor. I'll go with it.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 5, 2015, 06:11 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X