1996 GMC 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• summer nor easter
    we got the backwards off the north atlantic flow and heavy rain.
    my weld quencher. Very cool, vaporous. the lower 48 must be roasting.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20191811551_GOES16-ABI-CONUS-GEOCOLOR-1250x750.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	1247117

A note on the oil, it took all 5 quarts to read full. the oil cooler drained with oil change.
    when I first got this, that was an indicator this was far from the original engine.
    the original oil cooler lines had signs of an engine that may have lost a gasket years ago.

that is all free flowing today
    very quiet.

Some day its going to hit 80F here.. it may be 2020, 2021... but its going to happen. Like a dream.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• as per tradition

let some sparks fly on the fourth of july.
      happy holiday.
      my first time welding in dads driveway on the holiday was 2007.
      12 years older, the steel is only getting colder.

Name:	DSC01849w.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	1247536Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01851w.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	542.4 KB
ID:	1247537

I hit the sweet spots, not much to notice (but I can). I loved how much heat this took.
      I am thinking it is my thickest weld with a 120v welder to date.

forgive the photos... I am going to have to revive my memory on taking fresh weld shots.
      dumber than a microphone recording a boxer engine.

the panic for today was seeing a photo of an xcab going into get brake lines worked on..
      they lifted it up, the back half fell right off.

I have NEVER seen an xcab gmc broke in half.
      the owner posted he was unhappy, did not expect it at all.

this weld is for him. ..

Name:	DSC01830w.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	644.8 KB
ID:	1247538

..and this little baby fox that decided to walk by me and the truck, down dad's driveway and halt traffic on 1a as it took its time crossing the road.

where did it come from?
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Foxhole!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Foxhole!

Dan

atomic reincarnation, it may have crawled out from under the hood.

I took the truck to lamoine beach, the roughest paved road known to maine tourism..
          did very good.
          insisted on at least hands in the ocean, and my face.
          needed a bathroom to rid of my nuclear reactor carbon in a hurry.

As my DNA path has proven something I have said
          "I am never far from the sea, I don't make enough salt on my own."

it was warm enough today to feel a tire pressure change. I keep my load range E at 55 for the very rigid sidewalls. they go monster at around 60.
          rather tough.. but I did weld a sweet spot.

a/c on cruising around.. love driving this.

a daydream I have confessed.. if any military record help comes back factually, this truck is getting a long one way ride to my new place to live.

until then, I am in that fat crowd wondering where the funny farm is...
          As the overworked skinny guy who doesn't belong.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 5, 2019, 03:44 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• atomic fox....
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• on my way to the 7500 custom.

just bought this on ebay
              Click image for larger version  Name:	7500reciever.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.2 KB ID:	1248242
              I just needed the hammer head with the right rating. My factory bumper is only good for 4000.. and 200 tongue (or 400? I can't read the writing anymore). that is half of it.
              Gaining the rest of the dispersal will be super easy with the spare tire removed and my hack welds on the old crossmember.

going to use it all.

the rusty little beam that has a hole for spare tire tool can be removed and a big beam added.
              that area in frame is already laminated to double gm, with half inch bolts going through the welding pile.
              that was a tough chore. the hardness of the steel changed due to the monster weld, I forgot to drill holes first.
              Glad I humored it. that is going to play a roll in the span even tighter than a whole receiver kit.

anyway.. that is the third beam that will attach what I weld to the reciever.. the other two beams go to crossmember, also laminated on the 8 way connection. No reciever has ever gone that far as a singular kit.

Looking forward to this one.

the inspiration beyond weld is the hefty balkamp u bolts and 900 pound helpers. My version of cross sills under the truck bed are over double.
              load range E have never seen a hard day on my wimpy half ton.

this is just for a typical 5-6k like a car or truck on a trailer...camper, boats whatever else.
              I learned my dads old boat was pushing limits due to water, I made up my mind then. this one is ready to be differenced...always staying a half ton.

the k 15,000
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 16, 2019, 09:35 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• hot and scary

almost hit a real 90 here in maine.

almost.

Of course i know to stay outside and get some welding done.
                did not get the driveshaft out, therefore skipped the plate I made for left of gas tank. Cannot remove tank... one more f***kn time.
                good thing I cut a hole in the bed to get to pump.
                add a 30 below to this scenario today.

Name:	DSC01856w.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	599.7 KB
ID:	1248501
                did tack in old metal edge of fender liner to new one. I hacked it all to hell.. well abouta foot of it.
                I was off by half inch on the new metal, making it work anyway.
                a nice bell noise that makes when it is actually connected to the fender.
                this one was missing the top area under the air duct.

finished welding tire crossmember with my extras, getting ready for the new hitch. that showed up while I was at garage,.
                painted frame, it attacked me again.. but did better this time to elude the SARS and 911 call.

other little things

quite ride 36 mile ride home in this heat. a/c ,very comfortable.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• custom hitch, step 1

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01857w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	485.6 KB ID:	1248526
                  decided to wrench some old bolts and the ball hitch to see how this 750/7500 pound fit in the gm bumper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01858w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	462.3 KB ID:	1248527
                  it didn't fit in between the bends.
                  I'll weld it right here at the seam.

the eye bolts hold it for now..

The purpose of not going regular receiver is the hack it was left off as years ago.
                  it gave the truck an easy life until I got it..
                  I welded lower rails, etc

don't want a regular receiver in it again.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01865w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	339.8 KB ID:	1248529 my technical precise drawing skills in action.
                  the yellow will be simple 2 inch angle, all held in with bolts. does need some cuts for two bends.. I'll weld the angles.
                  the tire cross member is 8 connections to the frame...upper and lower. I laminated just for this hitch project. beyond .25 inch no doubt.
                  I also want that end of connection to be the bender/flexer... the one that gets owned by the hitch.

Am going to simply run angle over to the ugly tire crossmember from the new hitch, this should get it into max half ton specs anyway..
                  7000 or so..
                  the bumper is 400/4000 buy itself. That is still full gauge. the frame ends are very good after what I have done.

Will share when it is complete. Really simple setup. This began with wanting to change height when hauling a boat.
                  the 900 pound helpers made it too tall. Draggin license plates.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 21, 2019, 02:25 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• in my spare time

banged on the wheel that was stuck under the truck for 15 years, then allowed to sit in the back for 4 more.
                    it not only revealed a good wheel, all 78 pounds of exfoliation coming from outer space apparently..

Name:	DSC01866w.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	1248621

the tire manufactured in 2003 has no cracks and took 50 pounds.

Name:	DSC01871w.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	1248622
                    made my day.
                    on a nerdy note, it is the reason I took this truck on for staying full speed and load.
                    rebuild, reload, repeat.

the cathode anode games destroyed bed cross sills, and fed the frame.

maine is that sloppy 8 months out of the year.

this weekend should have my version of the half ton receiver complete. will share.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 8 hours = little photo
                      small area turned into a long day.
                      door was split.. rocker was left unfinished 4 years ago...and bottom bolt left out of fender.

got the air nozzle in there blew out a bunch of.......

dusty dirt. No rust. Made my day.

it left off where i left it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01874w.JPG Views:	1 Size:	741.2 KB ID:	1248804
                      it was getting dark.. but did manage a parts store run for some fiber filler

the bottom seam of door is stainless steel, rolled over edge, welded twice.

I also got the gap in fender liner... the fiber stuff is meant for it.

bottom of fender simply has some angle welded in, fender nut and bolts stil lthe same.
                      I wanted a gap there for ice.

rock concert was banging away in bangor maine.. I drove by with no vibrations

I know what I did now...

this is a nice freakin ride.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 27, 2019, 05:43 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• a chat with dad

dads buying his 2016 gmc outright, after the 3 year lease. Helping him compare costs... he was even excited at how gm worked it out.
                        not even close to getting ripped off.

Name:	dadstruckmar14_2018.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1248943
                        I am glad he is going with it.
                        I am quite sure now, his impression of his own gmc is the stuff I do to my fast approaching 400k mile 23 year old one.
                        don't need a car review on you tube..
                        just shut up and listen and look at a thing called actions.

Name:	DSC01875w.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	1248942
                        I like to reflect too...
                        with a photo or two.

not much else is needed or wanted to do.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• hole on the frame

I poked this last winter. Not sure why I was inspired to be there under the truck at 7F and dark out.
                          truck was freighted with snow and ice.. my bad habit.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63703.jpg Views:	1 Size:	621.8 KB ID:	1249134

this photo sucks, but i tried. and it is ugly if you overthink it. But the facts of geometry done right is there.
                          The way the xcab overlaps is very smart. I can see now why these go by here local bent right in the middle and they keep going anyway.

I will never allow that for this one... or any of my trucks. but hey, it is cool to see how far an owner goes with no care at all...

to the right is the forward edge of spring hanger driver side rear.
                          the bottom is angle iron.
                          injury stayed local... I added a 3 inch by 6 inch plate on the inside by 3/16ths, welded it from the outside (yellow)
                          also sealed bottom door edge driver side (weld).

added some KBS paint.
                          I also found the gas tank is much easier to remove than originally thought.
                          Needs anything more than this, I'll clear out the whole area and let the sparks fly.

this never budged, wiggled, bent or bounced... very local injury. Still the reason I like this one truck.
                          I assumed hydrocarbon to an old gas line leak in the past. Owner obviously got after it in a timely manner... but that is all it takes to show a hole like this, if you poke at it hard enough...years later.

meanwhile, the hitch is coming along nicely, got the receiver bar and ball to take in and out for free today.

full speed ahead.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 3, 2019, 05:24 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• summary

I found I am in approx 5.5 almost 6 pounds of mig weld.
                            includes exhaust too.
                            to see how the geometry reduces the amount of weld needed does not really show how much I have done in the back end.
                            just the entire runs of steel replaced is adding up
                            the front cross sill under the bed is close to 25 pounds itself.. full rolled box beam.
                            1 gauge thinner than the frame

I did all the cross sills.
                            flat stock must be over 12 feet by now.
                            2 inch, or 3 inch.. I think I even used some 1.5 inch or some odd number.
                            angle iron is about 9 feet.

to think of it as half inch bolts... that would be a cool conversion .
                            2 pounds of mig wire equals how many half inch bolts?

A quick ride today, a shudder is non existent when reverse or taking off sometimes making it grumble.
                            I thought that was the wimpy half ton springs.. but no... it was related that area i welded yesterday.
                            I will be going at that area again...

I assumed to be buying this truck breaking in half, and it was much better than that.
                            I decided to go beyond half ton a little bit, just for satisfaction.
                            As most spoiled owners do not know... this truck is still not cheap. no truck is.

deserves to be remanned.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 4, 2019, 11:42 AM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• "grabbing the buzz"

A term my neighbor used, welding structure in his own yard. that is my inspiration for these chores..
                              without a home made welder and shield of course.
                              I have seen ingenuity in ways that make comical memes today out here in the woods

I will never laugh.. if it works it works.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63717.jpg Views:	1 Size:	635.4 KB ID:	1249279

I am finding the paint odors are giving me a headache... going on 48 hours later.
                              letting truck sit still.
                              the welds have shrunk noticably by eyeball.

its a shrinker.. and I know how.
                              stilling molecules of steel...changing structure.
                              the last time i did this was grabbing a subaru by the belly pan with some extra beams. Did not want to drive it for days.
                              very uncomfortable for a time.

I know to stay away another day or two.. 72 hours

you know you found a sweet spot when you "grab the buzz."
                              Glad to have learned this in laymen terms 30 years ago.

I am declaring this beyond half ton after this little chore.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 6, 2019, 12:43 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• wheel well bed - inner

accepting the geometry of the 1 megaton half ton. These wheel wells in the bed are quite serious after all
                                poking at things, structure is still there, just some seam holes.
                                I grabbed some left over stainless.. did not even cut it. It was just a piece laying nearby.
                                now down to hardly anything left after a 4 foot x10 sheet I gobbled up from the truck stop some years ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63806.jpg Views:	1 Size:	342.2 KB ID:	1249919
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63807.jpg Views:	1 Size:	309.7 KB ID:	1249920
                                I welded in this.. (with bad photos again.)..and have it gusseted to what appears to be metal corners for sheet rock. that too was simply nearby. made use of it.
                                I gave it two of those gussets, one on top so anyone can stand, and one after the corner to maintain roman genius.

the sticker is one you would see on a tractor trailer door.
                                because that is exactly what it is.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01909w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	295.8 KB ID:	1249921Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01910w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	290.5 KB ID:	1249922

to awe the audience, this is the rhino liner I never melted, but challenged greatly while welding... bonded again carefully with JB weld for plastic to metal bond.
                                ready for the 1 megaton winter... 1 more time.
                                Very nice bell signal. It is probably gm engineers' 30% of the wimpy tail frame strength.

I also found other spots, but it seems someone has redone this whole bed at least once. There was metal under the metal. I gave that some fiber filler, and will layer on some urethane body sealer for the rubbery bounce of road rocks and debris.
                                Not an original bed after all. Explains why the cross sills were gone, but the bed looked very nice anyway. someone redid it for appearance.

Now it is all done...just scrapes, dings and other painter/detailer chores.

to the left that blurry fan cover looking thing. that is from my first welder 12 years ago.
                                All i got is never another mans treasure.. it seems i hardly let much go.

and one more mystery.. this one needed its own area

with a little mirror on flexible stick.. I wanted to check for the L30 stamp of the 96 vortec..as it is a vortec block for sure.

I cannot find the zero.
                                There is the stamp I learned to look for on the net.. I can't make out the L perfectly or a #1.
                                there is a number 3 in the middle.
                                there is certainly no zero on either side of it

long story short..
                                my 305 is likely a 350.

L31 = 350

I have been boasting about my feisty 305 for long enough.

time to fess up. Truth be told.

i think I can manage a photo and some mirror action at the same time.
                                that doesn't sound right does it

will see what I can do.

It explains a few things. the 350 had its own double pipe header for a reason.
                                my supposed 305 melted a cat then sent the molten lava back to melt the muffler.

350 on 305 header would do that for sure..
                                I also know SBC from driving many miles. the 350 surges to open the thermostat after teasing the hell out of it going past the set definition for a few minutes.

this one has done that since I first drove it.
                                that was my first intuition to check the stamp or numbers.
                                305s stay gentle and close to the thermostats given...even the H.O.
                                I had two monte carlo SS.

I should have pursued my inner hidden thought sooner.
                                ..and I have, I just can't get a reading on the stamp.

will try again.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 17, 2019, 05:17 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X