1996 GMC 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barrys world
    got a 24 dollar go pro clone.. and it turned out to be a nice little gadget.
    my fingers and touch screen are a problem, but I am finding tapping more than once gentle is getting my way.
    (i have even locked up cash registers at a abd time with lines behind me - my fingers and touchscreen)

made a little video driving around.

microphone is not very good..as usual. found ways to mount it, very small.

I have a video editor, intel xeon ..cad worthy video card.
    may as well use it once and awhile.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 29, 2019, 07:24 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• 20 dollar truck mats
      priced right

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC0209w7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	597.2 KB ID:	1254712 putting the back floor mats in.. I noticed the tunnel for these trucks leaves more flat floor on the driver side than passenger.

explains the rear left tail on the frame needing more.
      the load is assymetrical to the geometry...
      the roads lean here, but that was interesting to see when placing the mats.

will be testing out the plasma cutter saturday.
      may hook up some 220 plug on the machine.. might need it.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 30, 2019, 10:20 AM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• all we are is weld in the wind
        famous hippy song from the 70s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bombcold.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1254843

this is an exciting storm for my locale. We are a mini version of the rockys and great plains..with a touch of texas all rolled into one.

that low is going to be a headache.. less than 24 hours from now. In fact I am keeping track.. it is 63F and the front hasn'r even arrived yet.

I am guessing 12-14 hours for a 40Fdrop below freezing.

This summers welds, some of them were just for weathers... I am confident.
        the rails are doing better than ever as well.
        This saturday calls for sun burt cold. I'll be blasting some old hanger rivets to swap in some bolts.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• nice day for plasma

took a bit to get going.. I knew it was capacitor related. the way the drain was on power cycles.
          off and on a couple of times, it blew out its burn in monster from wherever its origin was on the expendable tip.
          I knew it was brand new.
          changed the tip and away it went.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	newbolts1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	256.4 KB ID:	1254953

the rivets pulverized in several minutes and blasting a hole through the new frame plate.
          two new bolts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	newbolt2a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	195.8 KB ID:	1254954
          At 1.5 inches long the thickness I made everything left that bolt just long enough.
          I laughed.. I cannot tell how thick it all is until putting a bolt through it.

This is beyond factory for sure.
          the back end is like a bobtail tractor trailer now. rocking in the cradle of the torsion and leafs.
          Not like any half ton in that era 73-99.

now for a random CCR song.

More time could have had the new hangers in and some tidy welding and grinding. Simply set up for winter months anyway.

wanted to verify new plasma machine for warranty reasons.
          that was quite a deal. amazon has it at 400 dollars.

I set it on 35A and 35psi... surprisingly powerful.
          did not have much time to goof around with it.. but am impressed.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 2, 2019, 02:54 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Nice when they work, huh?
            Keep an eye on the water if you have high humidity. There is a porcelain goofaw that if wet, does not work well.
            Once dry, goes great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Nice when they work, huh?
              Keep an eye on the water if you have high humidity. There is a porcelain goofaw that if wet, does not work well.
              Once dry, goes great.
              will do.
              It occurred to me as I was tinkering with this.
              I have no electroncs education, just the internet. Yet tinkered with every gadget on a motherboard building my home PC..all the fails since 1998.
              It seems i don't just throw stuff away for not working out of the box. Glad i did not. this little machine is animal for an awesome price.
              I also found the common things that may need replacement.. mostly relays...or overheated mosfet.

really clever. it made butter out of 23 years and welded and laminated all in one place... just minutes.
              The little air dryer that came with it is cheap quality, but also works as intended.

another test it passed, unintentional. I had the cutter in my truck and it went to 26F last night. this means the caps are not water based, something modern. Nothing froze.
              good to go.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 2, 2019, 05:03 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• bulldozer starts at the back

We got our first ice, snow, rain combo.
                the inspector was right on finding the fender liners and 1 bad fender.
                I was glad to get after the details.
                starts up perfectly, warms up faster. Very stable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02114w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	446.4 KB ID:	1255682
                upon putting in gear, try out 4 lo and hi.. the back end is rigid and heavy enough to make the front plow.
                My welding tasks are complete for this winter anyway.
                its only going to get heavier next summer.
                finishing the heavy hitch included.

the half ton wiggle cannot be with my half ton.. it is the claim to fame in the old square bodies and offroading.
                I had to wander about this half ton in my own way. My first clue it was half a heavy (pun?) was the inability to hold p-rated tires like the old days. This one had to have ten ply to keep a sidewall. Might as well finish off this wimpy tail it deserved to be.

..and found an awesome metal song.

this group is revealing to be a favorite. I have saved 3 of their songs over the past months, not even looking for them. just by chance.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 12, 2019, 11:28 AM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• patiently waiting out a storm
                  got some ice and slop, and some cold

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02142w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.7 KB ID:	1256404
                  I was up at 4am.. i knew "it" was happening.
                  it stopped at 1/3 inch. we got lucky.

Being the retired life style, I have learned to just stay home
                  wait it out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02151w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	387.4 KB ID:	1256405
                  back to below freezing, it is the first of slow going vehicles I have seen on bare looking tricky iced roads.
                  Of course, I had to go and check it out myself.

I am quickly reminded this 305 has something not 305.
                  it is a tugboat idling in the yard. You can hear the air even at an idle.
                  Assuming a 6L or 6.2 LS iron instead...
                  but no.
                  you are all wrong.
                  I hope I am the one to tear it down and get a mic on the bore, and check the cam.
                  somebody did something..

I let it warm to full thermostat open, just a habit after this much rain gone to ice not evaporating. No vehicle likes it.
                  I keep an eye out for all my neighbors parked in the same lot.

I am still rest assured to hop in this truck and drive til I cannot drive anymore..
                  that is usually 1300 miles and 65 degrees warmer southbound by then.

Just a mental safe thought I keep.

I am not much a doom/heavy metal fan until this past couple years. my age must be changing my brain.

I found this song and realized, some heavy metal singers are not the puny runt faking a bigger self at the lead.

this heavy metal guy singing acoustic is bigger than in the production song. Very impressive. No tricks. no distortion.
                  It is my most favorite find for 2019.

This guys natural voice is what a lot of heavy bands would mimic.

like an iron v8 just taking it easy... my analogy is a bit off, but i think you get it.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 19, 2019, 05:49 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• storm brewing

the cold version of hurricane fingers, feeling the cab, the body.. quick whistling stabs.. and hardly a tree branch to see moving

I know whats coming next...

Click image for larger version  Name:	13130022w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	970.2 KB ID:	1257144

anyway, I hit 379k on my monthly bigger food run. A couple hundred pounds sometimes. Plenty of ice and snow in the back to be my food cooler.
                    the welds this year are just right. As usual- I say that every year going into winter. Every time is something that much better. More than luck for sure.
                    And that toolbox going into the winter season, it really is keeping the wimpy half ton a bit more sturdy.
                    frame feels as one entity.

its the reason for welding and iron and my overall distaste for tiny cars.
                    Not to be against the tree hugger.

I follow sailing la vagabonde for some years now.. they got the celebrity greta thunberg onboard.
                    they are approaching the end of the cross atlantic journey into portugal...18th day today.
                    Another boat I follow is mvdirona.
                    it is all motor.. a 6.8L john deere in a 52 foot yacht.

lo and behold, they crossed the atlantic within 2 days overall length of journey to each other.. one using no fuel at all.
                    the luxury of the 90000 pound yacht on 6.8L was a lot more costly, several thousand gallons of fuel...but it is more interesting to me...of course more comfortable as well. A lot less work.
                    But the sailboat really is the winner.

food for thought I guess.

Now I wait out the impending storm, these days onward into March/April, its not about snow totals, its that barometric thermal contrast.. truly a hit worse than any hurricane...and even on par with results of some earthquakes

crack a gmc like a twig, create new seams in households seeming strong.
                    just the way it goes.

Name:	snow34.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1257145

I am in the 5 and dime section
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 2, 2019, 12:19 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Hardy folk, you Mainers!

Comment

Hardy folk, you Mainers!
                        I agree.

Name:	bangor1.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1257471

this forecast calling for rain after 5 days below freezing.
                        these are bangor maine temps.. we are 5-15 or more degrees colder
                        an unknown rural place

Name:	thermalreader.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	1257472

cold starts are incredible. very confident again with the rigid frame as a bonus
                        from day one of my bro-n-law swapping in the LS spark plugs.. i got one that is pitter pattering at an idle, othrwise all good.
                        I am hoping to nail it down with this thermal reader i just got for 15 dollars on ebay

truck is obd2, and can give off a misfire code.. but it is primitive compared to today.

still no codes for what I am trying to find... mismatched plugs for this engine anyway. I just like ho fast they react to commands.

this storm coming can take down a waterproof electical system.. it is the nasty of all nasty,
                        frigid ground and a 2 inch rainstorm.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 2020 vision

great title for this post

I normally do not share a plan, I just show stuff after it is done.
                          But it is winter.. I get itchy. Truck needs to sit with no mods mostly..
                          it just runs on what I do from the summer prior.

I am going on the 5th year.

the highlight of this was the steel repair.. the most tragic part of these trucks local.

I found I can add a 30000 pound ball hitch under the bed
                          I am only going to add it for price and the shape of the steel and its location.

I'll never haul 30kpounds.. and most likely never a gooseneck trailer
                          its about the steel

it also feeds this trucks character that has emerged.
                          there is no flex in this old half ton anymore.
                          sitting on 900 pound helpers under some very hefty ubolts..

I'll do complete kit for the bed ball as it is under 300 dollars delivered. the kit hides its own ball too, when not in use via a king pin latch looking lever.

Reflecting on this past year is quite mellow.
                          it has done everything I wanted, with pleasure.
                          each year has something that much better.

picking a favorite photo was easy.. did not take many this year.

Name:	DSC01994w.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	554.5 KB
ID:	1259126

happy new year.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Hope the year is good for you, Barry!

Comment

Hope the year is good for you, Barry!
                              thanks bob
                              you too

5th anniversary

just went on my 60th monthly run to the wholesale store

5 year cycles means I am heading toward being a monolithic sight as cars swapped out for newer years.
                              sounds as good as ever, runs beautiful
                              frame wiggling in spots gm intended..yet stronger than they never built.
                              I never did too much of anything, and never not enough of something
                              that plan works for any owner.
                              my major goal for this was that it needed welding..and the drive train was very well kept.
                              just what I was looking for,... especially the 5 speed 4x4 on a v8.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02310w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.0 KB ID:	1261593

the best purchase I have ever endured with pleasure.
                              I have added up to be in $5k or a little more..

38k miles, 5 years... and counted on every time.
                              the coldest it has seen was 23 below,
                              the worst it had seen was my 17 days in florida..we got bombarded with ice, rain, snow and a week long arctic spell with a high in the single digits. Was not here to tend to it. poor truck..and it was in a valley that filled up with the ice water. the load range E survived faultlessly the grip that grabbed them.

it still survived.. that was my starter swap episode. the worst episode this has had aside from fuel pump.

gave it some high octane as a gift and hammered confidently home..awaiting the superbowl.
                              the only time I turn on my tv...

this summer finishes the back end the way I want to finalize, and most likely the fifth wheel add on.
                              I don't like trailer hitches.

on a side note.. this is the warmest winter I have never seen in all my days.
                              32 years in this one area... never seen anything like it.
                              my framing is liking it, will be dynamical and malleable to make changes sooner in the spring.
                              may start in on it by april... (usually july.)
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 2, 2020, 11:22 AM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• I kill slush puppies, and then eat them

very warm winter, fortunate to get this stab of no wind -24F
                                my nearest town shows -29

the cold start still has a start and off switch.. no one can seem to tell me what that is. I wondered if it was an oil pressure safety or something.
                                it does it in extreme cold, or if cold and I come back out from a store.. it does this start stall on\ce. Maybe ecm is confused.
                                as you can tell in video, when it decides its ok, it simply starts and runs.

plenty of fuel and fire.. and I count on it .

it was cold enough today to pretend air cooled on the big direct all steel fan. I then slow down or even stop my journey simply let it idle to kick open thermostat.

unsure of coolant mix, I was out there real early to get it going.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X