1996 GMC 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cab corner and cab mount

I had planned on the cab corner.. but the cab mount through me off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02614w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.3 KB ID:	1271210

I wrote here in this thread of the cab mount that held a heavy water. it left a puddle in the driveway, in the hot sun for 3 day after removal.
    that was when I swapped the truck for polyurethane mounts. It remained a thought it my mind for days..
    As I am a strange chemical reaction myself, being disabled veteran.
    well that was 4 years ago.

today I found it disintegrated perfectly underneath the poly.. the same mount that had the weird rubber that held heavy water...
    it looked like no tension, inspired me to check.. sure enough, it perfectly made steel disappear.
    it took four years to go from snapping new poly in like a lego, to good steel simply gone.
    it is in the top of this photo (after repair).

plasma cutter up and running and some scrap steel.. I made a repair for the mount, welded it up and put it back together.
    there was plenty of mount to weld to.

the cab corner is my way. I avoid the seam by bending one piece around the corner

I should not laugh, it lasts the longest.

thanks to the dysarts truck stop, hermon maine ..i did not have to wait in the long line at home depot for some sheet steel.

they let me have some scrap steel from their garage.
    I would not go digging there if you are inspired to do the same.

I was there with Dad, the 40 year trucker who has paid that garage many many hundreds of thousands of dollars to work his truck.
    they even let him walk around, no concerns for insurance...as they usually yell at people to stay out of the garage anyway.

..there is an incredible chill in the air. I got so cold so fast, I packed up my stuff just to come home

it is 45F at dusk.. normaly the warmest part of the day. Very cool. very unusual.

anyway..not sure if maine is back into inspections yet, but I am ready now
    Truck has a May sticker, tomorrow is june.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 31, 2020, 04:55 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• inspection update
      very unusual..
      went to my favorite garage, they have seen the truck for 5 years now.
      he said come back in mid july. the cornolio 19 virus stuff will be officially over then

meanwhile, the line was so long at sams club, I left to go to a regular store and walked out.
      hamburg at 6 bucks a pound?!

uhhhm. No.
      I did go back to Sams, figured I'd wait after those prices i found .., and line was moving faster than I got upset over.
      people wearing masks everywhere.
      some little kid looked at me from the high chair part of cart and said. "daddy he is not wearing a mask."
      So I punched the little guy in the face of course.
      just kidding... little basturd.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02619w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	346.1 KB ID:	1271336
      I hit one of these today,big thud as it wedged under the the wiper.
      80mph on the highway.

"I use butterflies and manual transmissions to tell me the weather and geography"
      I just said that yesterday.
      we are in for some hurricanes or something, I agree.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02617w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.9 KB ID:	1271337
      it was 31F last night. june 2nd morning. strange to see all the green in the background.

this yellow bird is canadian. Hardly ever here in maine. we do get monarchs when the south is too warm...that is rare too. as maine is usually too cold. too much of something.
      it stayed alive and I plucked out from underneath as it tried to fly.
      it hit the ground, wind caught it..and a car in sams club parking lot ran it over.

poor guy. he survived a brick wall at hurricane speeds to die in a parking lot.
      almost like me.. but my story is 900mph and 50k feet,

speaking of nuclear..
      the cab corner I cleared out and buttoned up.. now the truck has no start and stall after full warm.
      in fact it runs beautiful. all I did was fix cab mount and cab corner this past weekend.
      that strange fluid that was in the original mount 4 years ago.. was also in a pile of rust..small pile as it was..inside the cab corner.
      Now if you remember my subaru thread, I went through the same freaking things...

I am quite certain now, it is me.
      it is me doing that to my vehicles.
      I am a freaking nuclear waste maker.

change my mind.

in some good news..be it I look elderly nowadays.? I do have a gimp I cannot hide.
      a guy came out of nowhere, started helping me load my truck of my food.

very nice of him..and thank you. I do the same things for others myself actually.. living in disabled housing.
      what goes around comes around.. does not have to be evil you know. good things happen too.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 2, 2020, 12:45 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• strawberry moon
        sharing a photo I just took.

interesting moon out there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02633w.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1271554
        no filters or gadgetry..
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• first plasma scraps
          no reason to save these scraps.. I only realized it is my first real usage aside from the hanger rivets.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02634w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.2 KB ID:	1271676
          this chore was very common in every year of driving I can remember..since 1987.
          even the body on frame cars.

right out of the blue one inspection year to the next.. you could find a mount that gutted its middle out. the two bushings meeting where there once was steel.
          this chore took less than 5 minutes with the plasma.

I remember the curves was enough to drive vehicles to junk yards...owners mad.

this truck is lucky , it is only one hanger and it did indeed have a very bizarre poison.. found 4 years ago when swapping to poly mounts.

quick use of die grinder and bench grinder to gain smoothness and final shape.. in it went with a very hot weld and quench.

the cold rag was duel purpose.. keep the poly cool and quench surface of new welds at the same time.
          I also had a trick with jack, a 2.25 inch pipe over the cone of poly dangling though new steel.. this allowed pretension. mate surfaces tight, and protection while welding the new plate in.
          the oddity of the injury was that I could pick up one side of the truck with the broken mount.. just the middle gutted.
          Dad got a laugh out of that.

I had guessed that one mount was going to need something some day. this was the year it revealed it.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 7, 2020, 03:17 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• floor pan
            I remembered the one piece I wanted to buy.. the inner floor pan.

Name:	floorpan.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1271771
            popular item, back ordered.. but given the delays for other reasons today. I can wait.

this inner piece with the curve at the shifter end.. I was thinking it would be very easy to mis shape the cab going custom. everything else had a hard border, like a straight rib or seam.. but this.
            my old floor has some droop, and the bellhousing tunnels is holding my gear shifter as well as the 4x4 lever.
            the older trucks used to die there at the 4x4 lever..simply fatigue of bouncing around.
            this new piece will allow double factory overlap before it needs anything..

I already have a floor on the old holes. Hardly a problem, still inspectable, I simply remember seeing the panel at LMC and finally placed an order.. 5 years later.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• my daily act of genius
              an act of genius a day, still won't make you rich.

no on has ever said that, I just made it up.

Name:	DSC02641.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	1271878
              I found my truck had no gasket under the vortecitatertronalizer (NASA invention) and decided to use the impervious garage floor matting found at harbor fright to make a big squishy air gasket

Name:	DSC02643.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	1271880

beautiful isn't it

Name:	DSC02642.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	1271879
              this is noticable to 1500 rpm. after that none of these vortecs care of that is sloppy.. the volume catches up to throttle demand and the maf computes correctly anyway.

just one of those little chores.

seeing a hurricane climb to canadia via the mississisippi has me thinking of impervious things
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• my truck needed to be hanged..
                but it outran the law.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02666.JPG Views:	0 Size:	268.1 KB ID:	1272179

finally, after 5 years.. the actual swap of the hanger.
                this took way too many hours. the frame welding and the rivet swap to bolts was first..
                the rear left was the drama for this one, shock mount area all the way back. I started in on it 5 years ago.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02658.JPG Views:	0 Size:	354.3 KB ID:	1272180

only got driver side today. It did take quite a big hammer.got two holes exactly factory..plenty enough for perfect placement. the other two got a little bunged to my plasma inexperience...but through 3 layers of steel, this more towards 1 ton half ton can live with it.

I got the k2500 version of something..could not remember which part of the hanger that was..it seems to be the hanger part on the frame, it is thicker than my old k1500.
                not that there was much original gauge to refer to.

I did have to cheat as all bushings and bolts were stuck. I chopped an ear to weld to new one.
                this will be much faster for passenger side, realizing my little trick.
                I fought with it for 3 hours before then.

beautiful ride home...more like an escalade. the swivel actually swivels, and i got it greased.
                it squared up the leaf spring too

Going to beef up front radiator supports where the poly is as well as the other hanger soon...most likely this weekend.

Name:	shackle.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	1272181

this is the piece I am waiting on..else could have had both sides done today.
                Also waiting a line less than 300 people at home depot for the simple flat stock I use for cab mount repair.
                I may sneak in some early week day morning to stock up on the steel.

edit: the hangers are the same for 1500 to light duty 2500. the 6 bolt is the only heavy duty.
                My old ones must have been so worn, the new ones looked extra thick.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 13, 2020, 04:55 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• I am hot for steel
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	3duns.JPG Views:	0 Size:	37.1 KB ID:	1272494

just got back from my home depot steel run...
                  just flat stock and some washers to weld on the cab mount cup up front.

I did not have to restart a/c this year, ice cold.
                  I have not seen a 93F in the shade yet here...been 5 years now.

sipping my ice latte and listening to classical music, I saw the poor heathens with their windows down suffering in oppression and starvation.

Just kidding. I simply always wanted to say that.

the tight air lid has oil pressure at 41.. on the 94F ambient. the road must be hotter.
                  I also remember the a/c condensor cools the oil pan. Stranger than fiction.

I have never been so impressed with 24 years..everything working.
                  rowing gears of an iron v8 in the summer sun...while keeping cool.

we are at a span of 121.3F this year, -26.7 was my low, and the recent high is 93.6.. its only 2pm
                  this is only the first day of the announced heat wave forecast

will be under there saturday to finish details on my tail welds... when I swap the last new hanger in
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 18, 2020, 11:05 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Barry - don't know if you noticed that they cancelled the LTA meet in Loring which is a real bummer. I suppose they have limited choice on that. Bottom line - I won't be anywhere near you this year which is too bad - I was hoping we'd meet up somewhere in Maine.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Barry - don't know if you noticed that they cancelled the LTA meet in Loring which is a real bummer. I suppose they have limited choice on that. Bottom line - I won't be anywhere near you this year which is too bad - I was hoping we'd meet up somewhere in Maine.

Dan
                      I am actually in scenario to actually have gone to it and spectate...
                      it is a bummer.

Name:	shackle.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	1272513

got this in the mail today, 1 day ahead.
                      I can keep doing chores on the truck anyway
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 96F in the shade

they got an all time record just off to my east
                        more than 100 years of record keeping

Click image for larger version  Name:	records.png Views:	0 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	1272578
                        today would have been a black flag day without a/c
                        for giggles i measured the interior with the reader before starting up.
                        I need to stand back from this one on days like today.
                        hottest vehicle I have ever owned.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02670w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.4 KB ID:	1272579
                        the dash was 167F

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02671w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.6 KB ID:	1272580
                        the roof underside was 140 even
                        and under the seat where there is no sun ever was 100F

it took 15 minutes, after letting it run with door open for a few, before getting in.
                        very impressed with the HVAC

I have said it before.. I could take this truck anywhere.
                        HVAC to an extreme.
                        my low was -26.7.. it may be posted in this thread someplace, but I use facebook as well.
                        123F range so far...
                        first day of summer is almost here.

heat like this at solstice, it is a long length of day to consider.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 19, 2020, 01:23 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• too hot for my spot
                          never called it a day for heat where I weld.
                          Today was different.

Name:	DSC02672w.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	1272647

I did get the front rad mount rubber back together.
                          this metal was old and I needed to high heat for my own satisfaction..
                          old stuff cleaned up ok for welding grab, but I wanted to hammer at it with some amps to feel the real density.

no grind on weld when i was done, let the poop hang. I brought it to red via the stainless used as a heat protector of the top rubber part of mount
                          this still held weight, it was the pull side that came undone.
                          So I overdid it with 3/16ths
                          the pull side only works on extreme articulation... such as offroad, or going for max droop in a suspension change.

..and the other rear spring hanger can wait.
                          in fact this mount could have waited too.. I just got after it in the morning hours, when it was only 90

never felt this much heat before..started welding in the place I was today 14 years ago.
                          I just knew something with health could happen and packed up went home.

Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 2021 syclone

don't know where it is coming from, but I like it

that black and red.

I think of this song with that delicate truck of dainty love.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• vacuum only gas cap
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02673w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.3 KB ID:	1272909
                              was walking outside in the sweltering sun
                              found a stant vacuum only gas cap on the side of the road.

this is my old one.
                              it is very sloppy..
                              I remembered mentioning my start and stall when full warm, like a pressure is missing or locked before it can start
                              someone mentioned gas cap...several years ago.

my lucky day. Never did buy one.
                              the one on the side of the road screwed right in.. and it is much newer than my old one. .

speaking of sucking on "out of space"
                              max a/c in my truck is less effective than regular full cold.
                              no recycle on the full cold option..

my cab is too tight for max a/c apparently. it took this 15 hour days of a 3 day heat wave
                              that is what I get for welding to maine winter and tropical water proof

it is so hot with the max length of day to go with it.. the a/c is just enough to proclaim truly comfortable with the afternoon sun and hot pavement in front of me through the fish bowl windows.

easy to verify by popping the hood and seeing the condensation on the cold side, ice cold to touch. Big contrast in the all iron engine bay of a v8 to feel that line.

and that ugly radiator mount I welded above? it is noticable in the steering wheel. I made it much tougher than factory..as ugly as your prejudice may assume.. I could not believe it until the leaning twisty turns through the alton woods.
                              it is a direct impact on steering feel.

that one front left mount has a special purpose beyond its obvious one.
                              Learn something about a chevy every day

onto summer...
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 23, 2020, 03:39 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• twins are the devil!
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02676.JPG Views:	0 Size:	298.8 KB ID:	1273205

got the other bopsy twin installed today. much quicker this time.
                                self taught with the first one.
                                side by side verified my first guess...

this thing was absolutely frieghted somewhere along its path.
                                the fail is inbetween bumper bracket and factory frame.
                                to see how it all goes together is to understand my conclusion..

tongue weight exceeded very very far...it hung on (pun) for must be a decade or more.
                                lucky for this truck it has me.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02677.JPG Views:	0 Size:	247.6 KB ID:	1273206

now I can go about finishing the details.
                                Now this is full tow plus a couple hundred on the tongue (I'd give it a 600 tongue)..couple thousand on the tug, maybe 6-8k

very nice ride now too. bushings petrified was another guess I had as to why the dramatic failing.

..but no, it was freighted in a short event a long time ago..

..and on this post, I saw my first c8 in real world. had temporary plate. bright orange.
                                very race car sound.. more euro than small block thumper.

beautiful machine to witness.
                                very wide car.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 27, 2020, 01:41 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X