1996 GMC 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats my 20
    curiosity about the weight of my ld half ton got to me.
    Dropping off my new tires and wheels at the VIP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02775w.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	1276849

5520 pounds.
    I had guess just over 5k...but this makes sense anway

this is my weight to go down the road empty.
    just the stuff I carry.

gm has these at 4770 leaving the dealer lot.

between load range E, at 45 pounds apiece.. a lot heavier than the p-rated they shipped with.
    over 100 pounds of steel in welding, repairs
    me in the truck
    the jack and generator is 133 pounds
    2 chains must be 60 pounds anyway
    2 hellwigs and heavier ubolts
    simple trailer hitch on the bumper

the rest I carry is too light to bother remembering

Adds up about right.

with all removed, except the load range E..back to factory.
    it is still 200 pounds more.
    that is the number I was trying to add up

my welding addition

anyway, will pick up the new tires today in our beautiful canadian hurricane weather and possibly put them on the truck this afternoon.

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• don't know what ya got til its gone
      first ride out, pumped tires up to 55psi.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02776w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	376.1 KB ID:	1276877

84 dollars at VIP.
      bring in bare wheels cleaned up already, new tires.. all they had to do was mount and balance. some valve stems.
      seems kinda steep you ask me

the oe wheels had stickers still inside.. april 2000.
      nice find, I must admit.
      I have 8 of them now...keep two whole sets.

believe it or not.. there is 750 pounds in the back.
      hellwigs are very nice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02777w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	403.7 KB ID:	1276878​I learned the hard way.. one of my kumhos had a factory error.
      won't say what it was.. because it did survive 5 years, 40k miles.
      I also remembered a comment on aspect ratio. I had 10.5 inches of tread on the pavament on a 265 written
      that seemed off to a guru. the width was a bit extreme for the number given.
      My kumho actually had 2 errors.
      these 265 are the real factory 265

summary
      load range E 123/120S, 80psi maximum
      265/75-16 white lettering.

simply factory sizing by the rpo codes..
      good to go. smooth as ever this old truck.
      saving the best kumho as a spare.

5 years this month. A good run.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 4, 2020, 02:21 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 3rd emergency
        Delaying inspection to september now.
        Will we just skip a whole year eventually? we would have to get reimbursed for the months missing as we pay the state for sticker inspections

Name:	DSC02779wc.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	592.8 KB
ID:	1277077 off subject,.here is a photo of a moose I got yesterday with my slt a35
        was in auto mode on the small lense.. disappointing quality, but tried anyway.

my truck takes me there, places I will never tell.

Now i am certain, the garage guy must have been shewing me away.
        looking over my 4 old tires.. there nothing dramatic at all.
        Got 4 good spares now i guess.

mounted up ironmans some miles into them.. they use A LOT of energy compared to my old ones.
        my truck feels like 5500 pounds now on the 305.

I understand the complaints now .. searching for bigger motors and power.
        most are auto sponge sucking automatic to go along with that complaint.
        I am still happy.

still softy, brand new.. load range E dial into the stainless cords within

I am very impressed thus far.

Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Where's the flying squirrel? (Actually that looks like a lady moose......)

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; August 6, 2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.ZakKaeSDefyU4nmX40PdjgAAAA?w=256&h=180&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1277108
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• thermal readings
              for poops and giiggles..
              grabbed my infrared gun

the load range E have a strangely long burn in, requiring AWD for some miles
              they droop down to 35psi in 3 days.. except for the drive tire on the open diff.
              this taught me some years ago on these alloys, load range E need to be pounded onto the wheel with torque.

anyway..awd 10-12 miles. 80s F August day is about as warm as our pavement gets here in maine.

rear diff 119F
              transfer 143
              front diff 143
              transmission 165
              oil pan bounced 192-200 (don't know why reader did that)

and checking tire closely.. the tread stayed the coolest. wheel was 116... and the now the weird part
              134F at the bead. this is further evidence I needed to roast the sumbitches to the wheel.

sustaining 55psi is just right on the factory 6 lug.
              keep trying until they get comfortable.
              I think today got it..the bead heating up may even be the chemistry they designed into them
              my truck is very content.. have to work heat into them more than out.

staying alive with a 5 speed 305
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 10, 2020, 02:48 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• side stepped a floor pan

have my new floor pan, and my neighbors steps for hisnissan in the truck.

my neighbor, retired/ disabled.
                he has the nissan titan i towed home. turned out to be an electrical nightmare.
                the cost for retired life is a bit much. I am not one to say "I told you so, rice sucks"
                I feel bad instead. It is the height of some people. the appeal to wander off the 5 foot 9 world.
                I bent my hiatus to take on a subaru wagon at the worst time of my own disabled life

Click image for larger version  Name:	westin2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.3 KB ID:	1278146

aside from that, he needs his step to get into the truck easier, it was broken.
                this photo is the exact model and appearance.

Click image for larger version  Name:	westin1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	1278145

. that metal in the pipe is a nut plate. Barely steel. plasma cutter blasted it out in seconds.
                I volunteered to weld it. nut plate, flat stock..stupid design
                by the time i was done. the day wandered on and my floor pan is still 24 years old.

I hath declare, longevity needs no boasting. Set up for common chores starts doing for others.

the only time real vehicles get shit, is someone throwing their own around...

this thread is about my truck, the things I weld on the weekends
                this weekend was different.

I pumped the tires to 60, seat the 10 ply bead. sits up a little more.
                sept 3rd is the next ending for the emergency. all set to go in for sticker.. again. (4th try delayed to that covid stuff.)
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 16, 2020, 06:22 AM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• wandering
                  wandering is better than squandering, and pondering.
                  it is still keeping busy some how

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02825w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	507.9 KB ID:	1278434

I have a daydream of land, this is the end of my imaginary driveway.
                  it is logging company land, they let people walk it.
                  behind me is an open lot about half acre, old paved....about 200 feet from the road, protected by trees.
                  strange thing to find out here. they must have built it for 120000 pounds.

I pondered while I wandered and squandered in my imaginary yard how fast a modern mobile hut could pull right in.
                  no pines, smells nice.
                  a place to dig a pipe sized hole for the greatest waters

here is to the right and left of the end of my dreamy driveway. Good elevation, but not at the top.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02828w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.3 KB ID:	1278435Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02830w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.7 KB ID:	1278436
                  I take a deep breath in these wanderings. pondering Kings and a thousand years and the defense of actual noble men that keep it.
                  Royalty sucks.. what royalty mimicks does not.
                  I know where the real people are, getting killed daily by every crime known to america.
                  it is sad...until anger takes over. A leader at the helm.
                  mimick it if you like, you self declared royals.
                  it is entertaining.

you may see some autumn colors looking closely above
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	low51.JPG Views:	0 Size:	14.9 KB ID:	1278446

we will be in the 40s, like that northern town with the lonely thermometer bordering the arctic ocean.
                  I have a prediction of cold weather records breaking this winter.
                  this may be the one, I wander away, my ice cold gear box making cryogenic noises not even a formula1 bmw could resemble.
                  it will make it no doubt

living alone a long time is no longer lonely. it sets up a goal. It starts with location. the heart has to have one.

Anyway,
                  I see my May inspection sticker and almost get uptight.
                  september 3rd is not far off
                  it may even be delayed again.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 19, 2020, 07:04 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• coffee cup and a baja ride on the bumper

I was missing this clip after changing fender. it is for the cold air duct that snakes its way into fender in front of battery.

fidgeting in the engine bay, just to look around. This thing really is spotless.
                    not an original engine. I have no doubts at this point.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	NWMDC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.2 KB ID:	1278584
                    (just reference similar)

I am looking at a little wire in front of battery and there is the little fender fastener for the plastic ducting.
                    just danglin there...against all odds.

reminds me of the coffee mug l left on the bumper for 36 miles.
                    through the alton woods, pot holes, over hondas subarus mountains and cattle.

its been more than a year. .. just precariously dangling there. Nothing to hold it.
                    I put it back into it spot.

new tires very stubborn at gaining a seat, but it is a check of air every 3 days.
                    must be gaining on it.
                    needs a good couple hundred mile run.

set up for inspection .. staying good to it.

I am hoping to get the new floor pan in this weekend. No big rush on that one.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 21, 2020, 12:59 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• my ricer socket

my truck has a rocket ricer socket

Click image for larger version  Name:	28mm.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.3 KB ID:	1278782
                      anyway, after swearing at the screen and punching the brand names for the 25 dollar 12 point cost

This 9 dollar, 6 point chromed chinese beauty should get the damned plug off the transfer case.
                      free shipping, by October 14th!
                      its only august , maine will only 3 feet of snow by then.

It is the last item in the truck with ATF remnants spitting like a lamah every july since i have owned it
                      (I CANNOT DO ATF ANYWHERE)

seriously, the only reason I got angry is relapsing to my near 2000 vehicle service list at a quick lube in 1993
                      its like a PTSD.

ford had the other very shallow head Gaint transfer bolt (and the oil pan too)

I hope this goes smoothly.

I am going for a full flush and synthetic transfer case fluid.

it goes long enough, I forget until finding drops on my tailgate..
                      the july llamah transfer case spits the ATF in the high heat.

dumbest fluid ever invented.
                      I wipe it off and it stays dry until next july.
                      some blame the red dye playing with the sun...have not denied that theory either.
                      I just say it is shitty fluid.
                      it cannot do 26 below to 140F pavement.
                      CANNOT DO IT.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 24, 2020, 02:42 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• VIP old town maine

I have never paid 84 dollars for bare wheels and 4 tires sitting next to them.. just to be mounted and balanced.

found my air leaks today.. 3 of the 4 valve stems, (not the core) are leaking.

the cost was so expensive, I don't even want to go back and show them.

I am aware of the degassing routine, alloy wheels that sat out a long time obviously in a shed/basment.. they had no oxides. A basement odor.. That is just a deflate fully and go at it again...might take several times. I liked my classic wheels growing up. keystones and cragars. Strange routines to keep things going fresh.

But this time its actual errors.
                        I'll keep driving around, it may squeeze out the little micron pebbles and seal themselves. if a steel wheel does this, it needs to be torn down and fixed. alloy is different.
                        In one of the deflates i'll wiggle the stem around too.
                        20 years old is this trucks newest wheels after all. Glad they are in great shape. I cleaned the beads myself.
                        did not need much effort. that part is just fine anyway.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 25, 2020, 01:12 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• peterbilt clamp, nissan titan and harbor freight
                          these 3 things were meant to be together.

I welded up my neighbors step for his nissan titan
                          Today he was wondering if i could change out the broken brackets and mount the step.

the harbor freight electric impact is very impressive. I verified by trying to loosen cab mount bolts on the nissan with a breaker .. 2 foot bar. No go.
                          got my little generator out and the chicago electric gun..
                          Out it came smoking. I mean the bolt, not the gun. If that isn't 1000 foot pounds it must be at least 400.

the middle bracket was missing something. I hoard nuts bolts, clamps, scrap pieces of metal. always looking like a garbage bin at times.
                          I found dads leftover clamp from the ten gallon antifreeze dump at an Irving adventure last year.. or is that 2 years ago.
                          bond the middle bracket of the step with that tractor trailer radiator clamp.

my old neighbor can get in and out of his truck now. I put the things away, closed my toolbox and remembered why I carry what i do with satisfaction.
                          Days like today.

my dreams of being a mechanic are long gone. Too much reality mixed in with it. Can only work til you can't.
                          I envisioned the gathering of things that come out of nowhere at the right time to get something together...and it still happens.

Part of keeping this chevy is helping others. He offered some cash for helping.. I will oblige.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 26, 2020, 03:13 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Good job, Barry! It always feels good to help.

Dan

Comment

• 25th badge of beautiness

Name:	DSC02848.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	1279174
                              Called in to garage today, as september 3rd is around the bend. That is hopefully the end of the emergency declarations.

he said if you can get here within an hour, I'll check the brake and get this going.
                              so I drove my normal speed to the city and got it done.

the delay by law has also bumped my sticker to august. it was in May before this.

since buying the truck it has bumped from frigid february (near impossible)
                              inspections to march, april, may.. now august.

Looking over my next project on this.. I found some interesting 10+ inch wide mobile home steel from a tongue of a 16x50 (very heavy mobile home)
                              going to experiment with that spring grade steel. I just moved the montserous piece around today with a bucket of a kubota.. feeling it out

looking forward to using it for something.
                              fancy shapes with a plasma cutter.

sat outside for 28 years, not rusted.

onto winter.
                              Am going to find a high grade oil labelled for transfer cases, rid the atf... as I fight with atf for reasons unknown apparently.. That will get a swap of fluids before winter.

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              Good job, Barry! It always feels good to help.

Dan

Previously boxer3main

Comment

• pig on the lipstick

Name:	DSC02853.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	1279336

blended in the running drooling new fender paint job I slathered on more than a year ago.
                                I left it dull.. knowing I'd have to sand it and give another coat of gloss clear.
                                I got the gloss part.. but the sloppy mess is till there.
                                oh well.
                                can't really tell from here.. but i notice it.

Name:	DSC02851.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	1279337

pulled into my walking spot and saw the odom hit 384 exactly.

lots of wind, heading to low 40s F.
                                This may be the winter I take off without a plan.
                                my prediction, it is stuff of nightmares.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X