Name:	DSC02861w.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	1279737Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02862w.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	1279738

strangely warm. went to parts store and got some rocker guard..satin black with primer sealer.
    I don't think those cans do much... but then again. I cannot remember all 1500+ days of maine with this either.

I dare call it the the toughest vehicle I have ever known.

I scrubbed rockers and corners with some advice on the "paint prep can".... and gave some light coats.

this truck's engine does not even have a tick.
    the high frequency of electrons moving... the tugboat SBC iron engine sound that keeps these famous...
    and it does not even have the old dinosaur SBC plugs. It has been running the LS spark plugs for a couple of years.
    It takes away from the idle a bit. this old 305 cares more about the throttle anyway.

the valve stems have slowed way down the small leak. Lo and behold my kumhos did the same thing.
    several weeks to dial in.
    that is good news. Did not want to mess with them.

there is two versions of valve stem for passenger

65, and 80 psi.
    As it turns out my intuition was correct. if you have valve stems with metal showing.. those are most often 80.
    I only refer to O'reillys part shelf for the answer.

o'reilly's also had an all metal version, 120psi. It is tempting.. but you have to tighten a nut. I don't trust that one.

since 2009 here, I have mentally rambled here at times at my keyboard..still 3 finger typing...
    and wanted to share that I have an appeal meeting for the V.A. october 9th. I should be more enthused...as it has been 24 years line of duty disabled, without the actual formality that goes with it.
    Regardless of the outcome (I am expected to be disappointed) I gave my effort.
    I remember something I have said and it still stands:
    "I do not mind being a curse."

not my problem . I am what they created..

got the 28mm socket on the way for the transfer case plugs..I am going for the latest version of transfer case fluid. it really is just a synthetic ATF.. but it is evolution.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 3, 2020, 12:47 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• steel man and a paint prep cleaner

its only been 32 years since i first attacked one of my maine masterpieces of rust bubbled dribbling acid dump site infested road kill glory.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02863w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.5 KB ID:	1279782
      saw this on the shelf and gave it a try some months ago.

lo and behold.. it was just what I was missing.
      I do metal work.. all the nasty areas.long welds, fancy shapes.
      all my paint work looks like i did it in a dirt driveway

well... because I did

rust is not rust to me..Rust is fatique and/or chemistry.

no matter how much is grinded sanded or brushed.. it needs a final before slathering on the 10 for 3 dollar flat black spray cans of Sema winning fame.

wanted to share this tip. it actually worked.
      and when you clean a bubbly area you know is good steel.. the cheap paint is almost soaking into the metal that is cleaned with this, you can see the paint taking over contently.

made me happy.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	filler.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.0 KB ID:	1279783

the other mistake just by chance purchase was this fantastic filler
      not sure if this is the exact version, but same company and colors anyway

I still have a spot in the driveway that never failed since May.
      we have even had snow, hurricane water and heatwaves into upper 90s.

onto winter 25.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 4, 2020, 07:00 AM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• pb blaster.. since 1957!

I found a puff of very fine cloud come out when I wiggled the valve stem
        oxide.

what digs at oxide ..?
        pb blaster. why not.
        sprayed a shot right at valve stems and wiggled them around.

2 of the 3 leakers slowed down to near stopped.
        one tire left being very stubborn.

not sure but all still might need to be taken down to up my mounting bill to near 200 dollars.

that was very nice of VIP to treat me like a 3 striped crew chief and charge me an inflation price of the future..

80psi tires and valve stems.. its only life and death.
        why would a high priced tire mounting place check those? that would be crazy!

anyway.. spilled a drop.. just one drop on the wheels.
        back to the 1996 satin shine they came from.
        cleaned the wheels with very light coat of pb blaster.

the dullness is oxide after all. dirty up the white rags I was using.
        I'll laugh if they stay shiny.

at least I did something pretty.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02868w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	312.8 KB ID:	1279922

another trick I have..
        I do not mention I was out here in the woods in the 1980s very often.
        the old alloy wheels exposed gain oxide, that is a given. The valve stems got my own pliable inspection, deemed to be good,.
        I remembered a trick an old logger did with toilet paper and brake fluid.. as long as the wheel design was permitting.
        tuck that into the area of valve stem and brake fluid creates an action to swell the rubber.

where I have 80spi stems, still very flexible.. I know it i just oxide. But worth a try anyway.

I am only 10 miles form a garage that can fix this.. just being stubborn as we used to be in the past.

they are running3 to 5 days and still aired up at 25 psi or so.. but that is down from 55.
        just need to get that creepy crawling dribble leakers to stay put
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 7, 2020, 02:27 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Barry, our youngest son is a Discount Tire store manager. They don't mount tires w/o new valves - it's figured right in the quote. So no clue why you don't have new ones in there.

Dan

Comment

• I play with my valve stem !

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02867w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	477.4 KB ID:	1279981
            Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Barry, our youngest son is a Discount Tire store manager. They don't mount tires w/o new valves - it's figured right in the quote. So no clue why you don't have new ones in there.

Dan
            the ones in the tires are plenty pliable, the 80psi version..and then i finally remembered the final trick.
            I used my leatherman and grabbed the stem and wrestled 90 degrees each way with a soap water tell tale at the root.

finally won. it only took 3 or 4 tries each wheel.

back to 55psi all around.
            there is one that needed no help..the same stem as the others.
            another hint I had no old errors.

ready to go.
            I love the subtle 10ply church organ howl.
            it reveals 5528 pounds a little more truthfully.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 8, 2020, 03:18 PM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• cam lock delta pro box
              looking over little things now
              one side latch did not work on my delta pro. Bought it cheap did not care.. still had one side working to open it

Click image for larger version  Name:	27808.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.0 KB ID:	1280035

looking it over someone put a good latch in upside down

Click image for larger version  Name:	delta1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.7 KB ID:	1280036

took 3 minutes to get that back in correct orientation.
              you can change locks out on these very easy.. lost keys would be a nuisance.
              must be a trick for that too.

I am putting in one more fish plate on my frame, decided to convert the heavy front hangers to bolts for future experiments ..
              am beyond half ton now, may as well continue the confidence.

should be doing that this weekend.
              where this next chore is not a structural repair, just an addition.. am not concerned about outside temps.
              going for symmetry, as left side has the monster welded plate at the hanger. Want to even stresses out.
              nothing to notice, almost 2 years.. but steel has its own timer.
              got to think ahead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02867.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	375.5 KB
ID:	1280037
              yesterday on I-95.. in matter of 3 miles.. 6 lug nuts loose. Rear left wheel. had neighbor with me.
              pulled into a harbor freight parking lot and tightened. No errors, just decided to physics it's way to loose.

I joked it must have been an earthquake

I saw new jersey in the news this morning, registered a 3.1

here comes the "gentle' autumn.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 9, 2020, 08:04 AM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• butt implants removed!

back to the skinny ass I am.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02877.JPG Views:	0 Size:	207.5 KB ID:	1280044 the valve stem drama returned this morning, finally had enough.
                sullivans tire in brewer maine took me in.

he told me one stud broke on the spacers and he can remove them.
                he did not like them.

I agreed. i don't like them either.
                this truck is too heavy.

it explains the random lug loosening events with no explanation.

truck is back to being rather quick..these two spacers weight about 12 pounds.

in the closet they go.

3 new valve stems, balanced, pressure check.. and a life and deth problem removed...
                46 bucks.
                today was a good day.

dropped some weight, skinny butt..
                now only 5518 pounds cruisin down the highway.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 9, 2020, 03:11 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• summer is over

can't complain. been almost a good year.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	lowtemps.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	1280170
                  this is the 11pm temps.
                  dawn should be chilly.

was going to plasma some front spring hanger rivets plate and get some bolts in..
                  but it is a delay until next june. I don't like snapping frame rails unless temps are 60 at night, and warm all day.

Click image for larger version  Name:	updated origin.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.6 KB ID:	1280171

the more time I have alone... the more i learn about myself.
                  been 25 years for that.
                  ancestry.com has boldly gone into more details of DNA and origins.

through all this babble. half of me is med sea, the other half the cold north atlantic.

being new england born and raised.. even old acadian and native (1%) mixed in.
                  I am truly a southern man at... DNA. not sure about heart yet,

EDIT: low was 35F
                  could still put in new floor pan. cold sheet metal is no bother on tack welds.. body on frame.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 12, 2020, 06:41 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• outer floor pan, cab mount area
                    did not like my chilly start. Even a new tensioner needs to bounce a new belt.
                    transmission making the autumn cool sounds.
                    no frame work today.

Name:	IMG_20200912_161520.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	1280213

opted to cut the fancy little shapes that conform to A-pillar etc. I had the outer channel for rocker all done already. That is stainless steel.

this photo is low grade, cellphone.. but you can see some of the curves.

the bit of swiss cheese that was there, I noticed no change after welding in some sheet.
                    gave some extra and overlaps.. I don't like gm's design in this area. Passenger side is ok forever.. driver side is many many times the fatigue. including weight of steering column, many more door slams.
                    my foot rests right where i welded today.

etc etc
                    the hvac possibly works a bit better.. but it was already good in to 24 below. A/C saves my life.

onto winter.
                    still did not install inner floor pan.
                    still in the exact shape it was when I bought it. stianless sheets over it a couple of years now.
                    a nice day ahead into the chill.. might get in there.

going to remove seat entirely for that one.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• still learning this truck
                      I recently got my first cellphone with touch screen.
                      this is great news as my fingers have calmed enough to be useful.
                      I had problems for years.

I am the guy that locked up the touch screen at the checkout just by touching it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200912_110423.jpg Views:	0 Size:	264.7 KB ID:	1280302

now with gps app I found my speed is off by 5-7. Just as I thought.
                      I am thinking , as first guessed, this truck had some kind of lift and 35s somewhere in it past. Someone porgrammed the speedo part.
                      the clues were the wimpy rear end, weak ubolt and spring combo..the mismatched rubber part of cab mounts require that the cab be up off the frame.
                      the way the cross sills stressed out.. etc.

the recent weld on my floor was not the result from inside out as first thought..It was outside in. that also needed bigger tires than I am running (I am factory in photo) I went for a quick ride in the rain last night.. the new metal patch was damp.
                      my roads lean, so driver side front does send it to the outer floor area... not like a bigger tire would (another hint this was setup as lifted) but the clues are there.

glad to get this done before winter again.
                      Better than ever

I also sized the transfer drain wrong. it is 30mm. got that on the way too.
                      I serviced hundreds of these...could not remember the transfer size.

anyway, the last hint of old explosive pussing smelly ATF is in the transfer.. truck will have none after I drain and refill. I may even do a combo of the expensive synchromesh and synthetic ATF. I have sailed in the 70s mph for hours in 4x4. This truck is incredibly smooth any mode. Want to stay nice to the old chain and gears.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 14, 2020, 07:04 AM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• transfer case check - 6 years
                        only had 3/4 of a quart in it.
                        takes 2 quarts total.

not bad for a slipping yoke and high speed runs every winter... 70+ for miles.
                        6th year with it. I have never checked it.
                        Who knows when the last owner checked it

I also found it had clean synthetic motor oil.
                        amsoil calls for 3 different versions of ATF
                        you can use motor oil, synthetic preferrably.
                        even at the quick lube, we just threw back in whatever the customer drove in with.

I went with mobil 1 at 5w30

so the red atf battle at the top must have been somebodies flush to synthetic motor oil battling its last dribbles back out.
                        explains the tiny amount in the middle of july in droplets

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02885.JPG Views:	0 Size:	169.3 KB ID:	1280603
                        this took an impact to get out.
                        why use lock tite?
                        I worked at a quik lube. Never used lok tite on those crazy ass shallow drain heads.

anyway, very very impressed with this truck. The guy I bought it from really did what he said he did.

made the thrash to reverse a little quieter, I knew I was smacking the chain every time.

a quick high speed run in 4x4 to verify seal up top is good .. and it is.
                        onto winter.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 18, 2020, 10:28 AM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• boil oil
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200912_110024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.0 KB ID:	1280637 Was browsing the ATF versus oils babble for transfer cases, more than several places on the net got that argument going.

I also found my hatred of ATF...
                          I actually use my vehicle until ATF fails.

when transfer cases need ATF it is to helo synch mesh the connect.

on this gm truck the front diff kicks in spinning the fornt shaft..and oh my goodness..its the same speed as the rear end.

synchro not needed.
                          can slick up the transfer as thick as the little pump inside can pump it

the most interesting thing I found about why synthetic motor oil versus ATF.

ATF boils off (my droplets in july) for people who use transfer cases long term or for actual heavy use.

So..
                          there is my mystery 30 year old question (since I was a grunt at a quck lube for 1 year in 1993)
                          why I find transfer cases with with just about anything that is slippery...

found a 15 dollar jug of marvel mystery oil at a wal mart.. 1 whole gallion.
                          this is a good year for your miracle additives. that is just for my engine and gas tank.

we got chilly last night, close to 32F. forecast called for below freezing but we eluded.
                          it isnot too early here for that chill that won't leave until june.. but it sure is not late either.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 19, 2020, 05:10 AM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• giant cellphone and reverse

I got my new large phone.
                            lots of storage, 4 core cpu..

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02890.JPG Views:	0 Size:	147.5 KB ID:	1280704
                            I like the gps..and it plays movies and music nice.

I simply had to make a mount for the windishield.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02893.JPG Views:	0 Size:	265.4 KB ID:	1280705
                            the giant suction cup is from an old gps.
                            I had to make the rest, ingenuity.
                            the gold clasp is a memory heatsink aluminum.
                            very springy, had alot of heat cycles.

away it goes.

in reverse this truck had a chatter random
                            filling the transfer case it is like butter now.

could only guess why it never got hot...or why that was a drag for reverse.
                            who knows.. it is simply going smooth now.
                            maybe gain a mile or two per gallon and some power from it being at it proper level.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 20, 2020, 03:03 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• the thing under the seat

I boast that everything works.

Name:	IMG_20200923_144424.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	840.0 KB
ID:	1280891

my left handed brother reminds me, all good things come to an end

the seat clicker to adjust forward and backward. incomplete function.
                              the wire was there, but the hook to balance is not.

I first tested with this zip tie, then finished with coat hanger bent up to the correct length.

I boast that everything works.

this post has been my version of a haiku.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• everything works part 2
                                for everything to work, requires multiple parts
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200924_160133.jpg Views:	0 Size:	321.4 KB ID:	1280963

found the ash tray bulb by accident.
                                was pokin around in there and squeezed the two little tabs and it disappeared.. did not know what it was i just did...
                                but I heard something move.
                                took the glove box out and the cig lighter area held in with screws.

found the end with my fingers and squeezed the old blown bulb to dust.

this did have a bulb the whole time.

swapped in a very tight LED and worked some magic with one finger on each side to get it to snap back in.

full led swap in place. this works with parking/lightswitch,not by ash tray.
                                does not work by dimmer. this means its own circuit bypassing it

unique little bulb.

Name:	autumn ndigo.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	600.7 KB
ID:	1280965
                                my low quality cellphone. i do not get mad at it.
                                Autumn is here.

Name:	swampmosse.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	1280966
                                in this shot is a moose at the other end in the darkness.
                                believe it or not.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 24, 2020, 04:33 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X