1996 GMC 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel mileages- revisited

I was just thinking... I have not gone nerd with math for awhile.
    I had professed..a tractor trailer is the most efficient machine out there for the work getting done.

I realized.. I left distance for mpg only calculating the weight per mile.

a 3000 pound car at 30 mpg as the root

comparing to the root
    a 5528 pound truck at 18mpg.. is equal to the 3k pound car at 25.5

and a tractor trailer at 40 tons and 5.7 is equal to the 3k pound car at 577

I went a weird route as if to riddle.
    the tractor trailer is still the outrageous champ...and my pickup truck is still a damn good deal.
    don't let anyone give your truck an inefficient label.

not much to say about the truck.. in a cold spell now, and I am keeping miles down.
    I hurt my rib changing plugs.. darndest thing. I have done that twice on theis same truck.
    my height hangs my last rib on the fender
    silly as heck.
    I should get a little 12 inch step or even less to avoid that perfect smashing.

I am almost certain I got a fracture this time.

To further my aching babble. the heat bill caught me off guard in my new apt. Been winterizing, making things efficient.
    I caught onto a strange subject.. where adding a heater not only made it very comfortable all thru the place.. the cost was next to nothing to add it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	heater.png Views:	0 Size:	11.2 KB ID:	1289692

the thermal value of it all blending reduced the other heating elements work load and took a huge north chill away...fed the hall and two interior walls.

just one of those strange things.. I got to thinking of weight of one object on one fuel going down the road.
    what some call efficient is nothing more than a complicated riddle.

in the case of my apt.. the exterior wall is at least r19.. what was happening was the interior walls are not insulated.
    I was giving myself a coldass seat in the toilet, a chill in every room for nothing...using hot water heater very fast to get thru the cold air of the shower.

kinda like a rig empty or loaded...better off loaded for the mileage to make sense..
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 7, 2021, 06:13 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• Emissions (and fuel economy) for HD Diesel engines are calculated on GR/BHPHR which is grams/work unit (brake hp) time (hours). So the concept is to rate the engines based on how much work they do in a given period of time and not based on grams (or MPG) per mile which really is not very useful info for a big Diesel. So this is something else to put into your equations.

Dan

Comment

• my truck gave birth to squirrels
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Tamiasciurus_hudsonicus_CT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	1291859
        been slacking here.. interesting find today.
        checking the air filter...found a fresh nest. Truck only sits a day or two at a time here,
        red squirrel made palace. this truck has full tight oem channels, must be quite a ride for the little guy.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	171693411_10219743759647764_7847293190916296031_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.1 KB ID:	1291860

found 3 babies. my truck is a dad.

Click image for larger version  Name:	171530547_10219743784208378_4658782100678143402_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	1291861

these little guys may have 100 miles under their belt.
        living to ride, riding to live.

I plucked the nest out careful and put them back in it.. in a basket.
        my stepmom got some quick advice, and she gave them hand warmers and very warm water bottle,
        they were very lively, chirping like little birds.

I got back home, and placed basket under truck with original nest material...per advice of a person who takes in wildlife that has been hurt or abandoned.

momma squirrel came out of nowhere like bolt of lighting...wasn't even here in the yard 1 minute
        she carried one baby off at a time, up a very tall maple... VERY fast.
        tireless momma squirrel.

glad to have saved the babies.

she must have been very pregnant, desperate the warm iron v8 being an appeal..and then she found the air duct to the palace.

says a lot about how clean the engine is.. they drove around with me for at least a day or two...right in the air duct.
        stayed healthy.
        they stayed alive with my 305.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 10, 2021, 06:09 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• thinking you lost hp when the squirrels escaped
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            thinking you lost hp when the squirrels escaped

I think I gained gas mileage to the heat riser.. it cut a slit the box.
            little architect

Previously boxer3main

Comment

• generator

since my subaru thread.. been putting bits and pieces of mig welding and all tools to sheet metal together one step above a third world countryman.

11 years now at bangshift. Glad the gurus spot a lost soul when they see one. this place kept me up in bad times.
              Was very proud to get back into my chevy stuff.

opted to go for an ebay generator.. the odds of getting attacked by a scam artist there are astounding.. but I did.
              still waiting for my refund. ..the delay really kept me up at night. Not a cheap price for a 30A 220v generator
              my 20th year there as one account at ebay, only happened 3 times.

the goal is to stop popping breakers. me and dad both agreed, something is having its way with the one legged breaker box in the garage.
              time to make changes. I needed 220 about a year now..
              anyway.. nice weather emerging, I started scouring facebook marketplace every day, sometimes 5 times a day.

found a listing, 3 hours old.. 1.5 miles away. Cash sale.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03756w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	340.2 KB ID:	1293827 manufacture march 3 2006.
              smelled like basemant.
              guy said it sat around, he bought a bigger one.

within 3 hours had this 5500 watt old briggs and stratton home for $200.

the 6250w/5500 combo like above is at 600+ dollars today in the big box stores..

guy even tested for me to show me it was good. Fancy gadgetry he had there.
              this generator is so universal, I found 3 different engine manufacture that bolt into the same spot.
              engine runs beautiful.
              one pull on a maine dawn...still in the 30s

40A on each of the 120 leg.. this tells me both legs of the 220v are underestimated at 20A together. I think they simply limited it by factory, could go further.

sparked up the dual voltage 60A plasma on the L14 socket now at 220v and knew i did the right thing.
              will be getting busy for the first time this spring and summer next weekend.

got 8 more rivets some fancy cuts..my frame on the 96 will be all done tons over factory, looking the same.
              the plasma makes impossible a breeze...and lava.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dadstruck.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.3 KB ID:	1293828
              the 99 with the 6L (my future inheritance) will be getting the rear shock mount fabricated and welded in this weekend.
              so, now I have two projects balancing out to keep me busy.

all is well, the 96 is running great.
              as for me I am 5 minutes from a real primary care doctor.
              told him my whole military tale.. he seems real thus far.

got my teeth checked. the doctor says upon first meeting.. "needing two rows is a last resort."
              less than 1 minute looking at the modern fancy pictures the machines got of my face and he said. "you need two rows."
              I laughed.

the good news, it adds to evidence of sudden violent smahs of my head under pressure..
              all the bone is in tact... I'd take on dentures beautifully. I have jagged peices all over, looks like a bomb went off.
              With that chore done, I envision making it to 60 years old in a pleasant dream.
              I was written off at 23. SGLI signed and waiting.
              I turned 48 in january.
              I am always humbled. every day.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 10, 2021, 07:31 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• I sold my old generator to an up and coming mobile welder. Didn't last a week, lasted 13 years for me, and much longer since it came with the house.... kidz. smh.

Comment

I sold my old generator to an up and coming mobile welder. Didn't last a week, lasted 13 years for me, and much longer since it came with the house.... kidz. smh.
                  I had to wonder too..
                  but the investigative senses fell for a good deal.
                  the basement smell, the sellers story of letting it sit around to a new one.
                  trustworthy.
                  we both had the same approach to verify a good one...
                  I whipped out the cash.

there is not even a scratch after cleaning. some black paint remains on the stator (those are usually rusty and even stinking)
                  1 pull start on a cold morning..choke is off in seconds after starting.
                  very healthy.
                  at 160 pounds, tires aired down on their own.. (real tires with air in them).
                  I am beyond guessing, they did not want to lug that around out of a basement.

found an extra grounding spot..slam a spike into the dirt.

this morning, there is middle aged brothers.. one is blind. they walk together on this quiet road in a busy town.
                  the walking stick is busy. He pokes at things that may be different and he picks them up. the other brother.. he smokes a cigarette every time they walk, it seems peculiar like he is fake smoking, not inhaling.
                  I was immediately humbled to the thought...it is so his blind brother can smell where he is.

My auto welding mask is in good shape. You only get one set of eyes.

I seek an antique tombstone stick weld now or whatever deal shows up.. facebook gets them a lot, people clearing out grandpas barn or something. looking for 220 stuff cheap (that usually drops the price here in maine -people stuck on legged breakers or something)

220 life for me.
                  the plasma doing what it did has me sold.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 11, 2021, 05:58 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Yep,
                    Old "Buzz Box Welders" are always at Farm Auctions !!
                    And are pretty much Bullet Proof so you shouldn't fear the Auctioneer,s Claims "Welds 1" Steel All Day!!"
                    Just plan on Buying New Cables, the old one are usually Atrophied, won't uncoil. or will crack, welding something
                    OR SOMEONE before the stick touches......

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                      Yep,
                      Old "Buzz Box Welders" are always at Farm Auctions !!
                      And are pretty much Bullet Proof so you shouldn't fear the Auctioneer,s Claims "Welds 1" Steel All Day!!"
                      Just plan on Buying New Cables, the old one are usually Atrophied, won't uncoil. or will crack, welding something
                      OR SOMEONE before the stick touches......
                      photos do a lot.
                      local has been pretty good. No one out to get rich...just selling old stuff.
                      got an eye open anyway.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03758.JPG Views:	0 Size:	216.1 KB ID:	1293987
                      gathering some bolts I forgot..went priority mail for weekend coming.
                      the hanger kits you can buy have specific bolts.. removing factory rivets is intimidating
                      I have these in the new rear hangers, all came together as one kit.

they shipped with 10.9 black oxide (grade 8) hex flange and a class 8 nut (grade 5)
                      got ten more on the way..went all black oxide...keeping a standard class 8 nut.
                      m10-1.5
                      40mm overall, 30mm under head.

I only need 8, but found a clever spot for 2 more in factory welded areas. Basically to pinch the 3 layers for welding, in an extra spot clamping power.
                      making some kind of exponential large tonnage gain with this, and I love it. corten a588 steel not needing paint ever is another bonus
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 12, 2021, 09:25 AM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• baby got back!

my wimpy half ton got even bigger hips today.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	dads gmc shock mount.jpg Views:	0 Size:	386.1 KB ID:	1294146

first gave time to the 99 gmc 2500 , inspection approaching, he only needed the shock mount welded.
                        this was a result of mishap way beyond decay excuses.
                        tough old truck. I did not go beautiful, the next step is hacking the pipe out entirely. this is just for inspections..and a good ride.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	plasma220.jpg Views:	0 Size:	328.8 KB ID:	1294147 speaking of tough.. the generator even sparked up my 120 v welder in ways I have not had. Very happy.
                        got the plasma going on 220.

Click image for larger version  Name:	sliver.jpg Views:	0 Size:	388.4 KB ID:	1294148
                        2 foot run with a 1/4 inch mistake?
                        this is what the plasma on 220v did for me after shaving off .25 inch
                        the steel is corten a588.. 60kpsi
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	bolt conversioon passenger side.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.8 KB ID:	1294150
                        got passenger side full conversion to bolts, all rivets removed.. both hangers.
                        just 3 more rivets to go for shock mount. easy peezy.

note: these bolts were installed to get me home. My 2 day shipping was not fast enough.
                        I put the real bolts in at end of day when I got home.

Click image for larger version  Name:	plate_passenger_side.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.2 KB ID:	1294149
                        here is the plate installed.
                        2ft x 6.5 inches x 5.5 inches
                        3/16ths thick
                        corten a588
                        the look of too many bolts is true. Using them as clamps for the big weld day

going to wait for driver side install, drive around at speed, then go back to garage and weld both at same time.

this is very strong over half ton.
                        stiffer than some 3/4 tons.
                        there is angle iron below this same length.. (look closely at bottom of photo.. the frame rail) I installed that a few years ago.
                        this made the hangers six bolt, added some thickness to bottom of rail and two inches taller at the face of rail.
                        in all ways it is bigger than a gmt400 3/4 ton at the steel.
                        3/8ths thick where these typically break in half on a lift.

seeking f44 diff with 3.73 .. just message if in maine.

the good news and bad news

the good.
                        I immediately noticed the plate adding stiffness to the ride. No more clutch bouncing at take off
                        the plasma at 220v is fast, but uses expendibles way too fast.
                        the bad
                        I immediately noticed the plate adding stiffness to the ride. No more clutch bouncing at take off (frame was more fatigued than I did not compute.. it is full gauge factory on passenger side. Driver side needs the plate more so.)
                        the plasma at 220v is fast, but uses expendibles way too fast.

looking forward to driver side.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 14, 2021, 05:14 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• consumables
                          a plasma cutter is just a fast version of a pickup truck.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	cut60.png Views:	0 Size:	750.4 KB ID:	1294183

that cheap cut 60 I bought is the brand in photo.. they are not only going strong, the price is jacked up for the one model I bought 2 years ago...and they support their own consumables.
                          bought the little batch today.
                          very fortunate china based item. I love ebay for stuff like this.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_72321.jpg Views:	4 Size:	219.6 KB ID:	1294184
                          picture of the beasts I do steel work for
                          every time it is an inspection item (safety) welded.. I profess.. "I reeled in 25k dollars today."
                          the 96 was $21k, the 99 was a monsterous $26k.

the 99 is a beefy freakin truck no doubt. I got a look at each pipe coming off the heads of the 6 liter.
                          I have seen big diesels with smaller factory pipes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame passeger done.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	1294193

here is some final photos of the passenger side done with corten plate in the inside. the plate ends right after the two bolts on the right..where frame goes to fat again.
                          not sure what I made..but it is damn strong. there is no rear hop in reverse or forward anymore. cold or hot.
                          these half tons are springy for sure.

the plate on the 96 is just right.. I did not mention that all 7 of the 10mm holes I drilled at the press are exact, no reaming cheating crooked bolts. not sure if i just got lucky or what..
                          that expensive steel perfectly fit
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 15, 2021, 12:55 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• plasma is just a faster way of making scrap

Comment

plasma is just a faster way of making scrap
                              Those hanger rivets at 25 years old..
                              could not even dream of a tighter precision.
                              10 minutes done.

I messed up one hole by a small amount.. my first go at the 220v settings.
                              thing will rip into anything no mercy.

real pleasure to drive.
                              my dad agreed with me today..
                              you could flip this for more than you paid after realizing its like driving it for free for 6 years.
                              no joke

I like it way too much for that.
                              that take off with the manual on a rigid rail.. I envision 600hp with no mods to the chassis or body.
                              get a 12 bolt rear in is about all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03773w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	291.4 KB ID:	1294253

I see trucks have nicknames..
                              I am calling this one deep purple.
                              hardly imagination.. that lightning strike has bled back though for the third time...purple drool.
                              I am leaving it. call it character.

there is no rust.. it is a byproduct of lightning. top of bed in front of rear lamp. I am thinking it hit the ford strap tie down helper (must be cursed on a gmc ).. it is shiny stainless.
                              long before i bought this truck.

good tune
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 16, 2021, 07:43 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• nipply

got chilly.. high 30s n the tropical town I am in now.. closer to the north atlantic sea.
                                you know you live in a cold place when the arctic ocean is warmer in May

being this is my only journal kept for my truck..
                                wanted to write down another mystery.

the corten a588 steel has nulled the start and stall condition that has never been deciphered...has not happened in a few days.
                                my subconscious thought unspoken was the lightning strike played with the ground loop signature..especially between the bed and the cab.
                                altered the steel into a resistance material...changed carbon level perhaps. too much sulfur...
                                who knows.
                                I had encountered this madness in the kc135 and my dads 2.1 million mile cabover (in fact that is why it was sent to junk..electrical did something atomic in the end)

this had fuel pump and tail lights in their own world in the back grounded. the only two items that have ground back there.
                                alternator would get a different length of wave due to how slow the 12v is on the big rails that are challenged at a molecular level....sends the power, but it cannot be an abyss, else it pretends it is not there.
                                complicated stuff. I hope it bothers you into disbelief.
                                it is the third time I have encountered "it"

anyway...
                                I proved it to myself. It needed a refresh..I hit a sweet spot.

one more plate this coming june

I have the real 387k miles after all.

I put rhislone gas treatment in a month ago.. says it is good for 5k miles. I would rather give credit to that cleaning out the engine somehow..
                                but the theory I had going happened out loud.
                                can't shrug it off as a coincidence.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 24, 2021, 03:07 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X