No announcement yet.

1996 GMC 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's fun to see you SO excited by this project. Glad you're having fun with it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      It's fun to see you SO excited by this project. Glad you're having fun with it.

Dan
      its actually just chores. I don't get excited about much.

Smelling the battery heavy as of now, changed something very large since reverse and door bulbs. Not a flicker anywhere, even in the current snow falling. "current", that must be a pun.

I am finishing this off with one more bulb, called a "festoon"
      Click image for larger version

Name:	festioon.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	1010630

the drama over bulbs in this locale, its incredible. Not sure what it is.. a mystery of nature. I thought I was alone, until finally speaking up, a very long time ago.

Anyway, the map bulbs go on either side of this middle dome light, but those do not come on when you open the door...am leaving them as is.

so, my grand finale is 28 bulbs. 25 are the important ones, running all the time, or work by opening the door.
      I am leaving a little warmth with headlamps, and one middle bulb in each of the tail lamps as old versions, calling this good.

Now I am an old newb..and found something under hood seeming related to brakes. helsey something written on the box. Do not know what that is. To find a brake relay that stays dynamical down to hardly any amps, and still have the option to go as large as a 20 bulb trailer in tow.. does not exist that I know of. Hence I am leaving some warm bulbs of the past staying where they be. The relay hit its minimum, and I restacked until it came back on. Just needed two regular bulbs in the tail lamps...the middle ones.

just tried reverse in the dark, very bright, liking that a lot.

I know I dropped off 50 amps anyway...and a frequency that would drive a glaucoma patient a bit nutty with the old lights. The LED is a rock, and gentle.

gotta get a photo of the dash, interior.

edit:

kelsey -hayes is what I found. Electronic anti lock braking. It uses something in the brake switch, and sensors. when I lost the tail lamp to LED attempts, I must have gone way too low on the demand other things are expecting. I learned this on my own.. won't doubt their setup. The abs already triggered for me once, glad it did.

so, in finale, it is just as this post states.

Name:	3157 001.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	737.3 KB
ID:	1010634

one more thing, learned this by trial and error..this bulb with the 3 prong taller filament, it is bright, but very weak, and a bleeder. The grand champ for my middle bulb choice in the tail lamps has that middle prong non-existent, and little more gentle. (The bulb on the left in photo). That bulb also withstands the hyper flashing relay that is still installed right now.

the ep29 flasher is due this week.

this truck is naturally bright given the computing, just had to clean a lot of things up, and replace and swap. I was expecting the HID effect, and certainly got it. This truck sitting in a row with 95 and older, it is obvious. All the bulbs similar and here is this bright one...not like the others. Add mist black glossy paint to that. Very vivid. Hot rodders spot it a mile away..always will.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 21, 2015, 07:02 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

some photos of the interior led. Click image for larger version

Name:	dashandvid 010w.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	1010797

the lower right bulb, as it turns out, knows the gauge ground. I knew this .. don't ask me how. So now every once and a while I scrub the dimmer back and forth, as the oil pressure gauge smooths out to a different temperature, it flutters one bulb. The lower right bulb knows the oil gauge. I also knew to go directional led, not just any LED. That is one of the reasons. ..keep a gauge that might be ailing away from bulbs. This is an excellent setup. Click image for larger version

Name:	dashandvid 013w.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	1010799

simply glove box, led. Same light as dash. All the 194 interior are the same.

Name:	dashandvid 014w.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	1010800

The courtesy lights, passenger side. Driver side is the same of course. When was the last time you saw door lamps working in a chevy?
        Bright enough to find dropped keys on the ground, and remind short people where the height of rocker is to get in.

Name:	dashandvid 016w.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	1010801

4x4 lever light. Camera did something weird with it, but the orange indicator within is nicely visible.

the festoon bulb overhead is the last one to install...
        Today hit 30 something, the warmest its been in the 3 weeks I have had the truck. The cool led is getting to be a very smart choice... that dash can get quite warm with the big heater I keep going a little warmer than most.

Name:	icefishing 010w.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	1010807

..and I got invited to go ice fishing today, with the bro-n-law, and my brother. Drove my gmc there, lo and behold its a bunch of well focused 4x4s in the lot to bring their fishing gear. I felt I found a clan to be welcome parking within.

My bro-n-law has a feisty arctic cat, this lake is a lot of hard drifts etc.
        I hopped on, started slow, it has been more than 10 years... and instantly reeled in every skill since my 600 triple polaris back in the 90s. Many many hours riding that machine. Those very builds broke records. I just happen to have one. 14000 rpm and people hearing it several minutes before it got there. Add a 140 pound wild man like me to the seat and it gains an audience. Tunnel vision and a helmet rattling around like 100 pounds on your neck..

Sure enough, within 20 minutes I was blipping throttle to 4 and 6 foot leaps right up into the sky..landing like a level pillow. The farthest I ever leaped one was at 100mph, returning to witness the tracks, or lack there of, was about 90 feet...
        All air.
        Thought nothing of it.

I am 42 now, and sitting back at home warming up, I can feel it.

I'd rather be driving a gmc.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 22, 2015, 05:13 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

Caribou, ME
          Weather Forecast Office

A Record Cold February, updated 2/23

Weather.gov > Caribou, ME > A Record Cold February, updated 2/23
          ...All-time Coldest Month Likely at Bangor...
          This February will likely end up as the coldest month ever observed at Bangor. Through February 22st the average temperature at Bangor of 6.1 degrees was 13.8 degrees below normal. Based on our forecast temperatures through the end of the month we project that the average temperature for the month will be near 6.4 degrees. This would break the all-time record for not only the coldest February but also the coldest month ever observed at Bangor by about 2 degrees.
          Here are the top 5 coldest months on record at bangor with their average monthly temperatures:
          1. January 1994 8.4F
          2. January 1971 8.7F
          3. January 1982 9.8F
          4. January 2004 10.0F
          5. January 2009 10.1F
          Prior to this February the coldest February on record was in 1993 with an average monthly temperature of 11.3F...so Bangor will break its coldest February on record by about 5 degrees.

I was here for 1989, 93, 94, 2004, and 2009.

in 93, i got off plane form san antonio, clothing missing, in a t-shirt at bangor airport, 20 something below.
          I was still sunburned. The record still stands to this day, 22 years later.

from 2004 to today, been nothing but subaru. The GMC is a blessing in comparison.
          I must have an intuition by now, I hate incandescent bulbs. Got all those swapped in, 25 below here has been the low.
          More than several 18 belows. In fact I thought my thermistor was simply getting stuck at 18 below, too coincidental.

right now, in the february sunset, it is 4 below before it went down. The time of day when we'd be complaining of how hot it is..

reminds me to charge up some a/c.
          think of it at 13 below, well ahead.. as some might not know, this valley in this state also gets hot spot of the nation.

For being an engineering nerdy type, it is interesting...but I did forget something as I moved back in for several months now. Not much is normal. I will be packing up again.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 23, 2015, 04:04 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Great find Barry, and perfect for you.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
              Great find Barry, and perfect for you.
              all by chance, and the dealer was very down to earth. I mentioned I had it bought in my mind before I got to it. I'll go down that way again sometime.
              someone told me when I was a kid living here, "the stick shift keeps the idiot out."

Now I have that mixed with obd2, vortec, all the options, cruise control and a/c, etc ...z71 with no rpo. Custom ordered truck. $20,500 in 1996.
              whooda thunk it.

still learning my cheap camera, a few more settings to change in encoding, and I think I got it nailed.

I was talking with a guru, about engines in general..the point came up that this one with a manual tranny has a cooler oem radiator. A step up for free, without upgrading anything. tha automatics fill in one side with more heat. The manual tranny leaves that part empty, open to air. The to do list, it really is a short one.

I'll do something for below doors, fatten rockers..that is about all for extra. The middle bed beam, and some cleaning up near tire hanger is the most serious stuff to do...and not serious enough to bother inspections.

I do not even want the upgrade to a big double y-pipe exhaust, nothing. When to witness 22mpg from the size of this, and the sound of a good v8..just priceless. Keeping all factory. Spark plugs, every little part.

the cold start at 25 below, incredible. I am changing nothing.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 23, 2015, 08:02 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

ep 29 led flasher

I am so impressed with this, gave it its own post. Click image for larger version

Name:	ep29.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1011315

ep 29 flasher/decoder

It must be the decoder part this time, has me almost giddy.

first ride out was a very responsive brakes. I have not a clue how to explain that one... there must have been a bleed. For brake relay to meet flasher would have to be the light circuit. In this case it was the old rock flasher, I really knew that anyway. Hence the electronic one today. For the size of these brakes, they ought to be responsive. I also found a twin piston caliper, this truck did not ship with twin piston.

18 parking lamps swapped to led.. I had to leave the two middle bulbs in the tail lamp as regular. Seems to be for brake relay/switch/ABS computer function. Has a line drawn on how little the amps can be, before thinking there is nothing happening. I dropped that much amps... the only two parking lights left as regular, because I had to. I do not mind a little warmth back there anyway.
                Given the incandescent uses 8 times as much as led, it did need a special flasher, the word "decoder" had me sold for this one. Custom setup I did.

This once installed, squeezed a smell of a car wash, old electrical ground, as it instantly timed to a normal pace of blink and flash. These flashers are wick'd or primed, (lack of better words) at all times for hazard light functions, so being precise even further than one could forget to think of is a necessity. If these bleed at all..its dead battery eventually.

Got the front blinkers blinking at the same time per bank upon first checking things out. I had grown accustomed to seeing the outer 194 bulbs blink on when the parking blinked off. This flasher took 5 minutes to decode that on its own...194 back to blinking on, while parking is off, back and forth.

Very clever. Huge amp/watts drop finale in place.

The hardest it has started for me yet was this morning, whirled over a whole second longer,a bit slower. 15 below last night...with a nightmarish wind to go with it this time. Front left was in the north wind that howled at 6 below ambient..wind chill unknown.

Came right to life. The front left tire looked deflated some before going down the road. It is almost like a scene from christine, the noises, just knowing things are changing shape back to a fairy tale of 70 degrees.

I can't even begin to say how dramatic amperes is here... a black roof even today, 6f in the sun. Leave the dome light on with heater on high, you'd think something was on fire on top of the roof. The contrasts of arctic battle..

...and the LED dome light is in the mail.

woops.. it was -23F last night. could have guessed it.

Name:	cold1.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	1011328

where it says zero at the bottom, this place was at -4.7F at that time.
                possibly a -24F last evening.

Very impressed with the gmc.

Another intuition, is going for a 50 mile ride due to winter. Low volts and amps, diodes, resistors, anything electronic and changes. The winter pace setting needs more time. Drove around, made cabin too warm...challenging stuff. The flasher relay somehow knows the dash apparently, no more flutter in the lower right bulb. Checked a tire pressure at a truck stop, jumping out reminded me of the door lamps I never see working.. nice and bright. Tire in doubt was at 30psi. The cold is that tricky...

The dash is almost hypnotic. Being that gentle, and vivid to define gauges. It even outlines gm intention for placing of illumination. The orange needles are well lit for temp, oil, and speedometer. The higher rpm side of tach is rheostatically more lit as you get to 6000 rpm, less focus on 2k rpm and less. Volts and gas is a little different/dimmer than temp and oil..except for the orange part near empty for gas. Very intentional, and the LED made it seem obvious, very defined. I'd call it a pontiac looking dash if I was an old timer...with door lamps of a cadillac.

In the fast lane, playing with traffic, even bangor maine is busy like a big city at rush hour. Blue lights, a cop hauling butt.. I looked down to 80 and thought I am going to get my first ticket...but no, I blinked over at a normal pace of blinkers into the right lane, cop went sailing by.

I am confident to call this burn in well done. Ready to go. The hint to go for a full warm ride was the brakes response to a flasher change..that is computer level stuff on a big move. I am loving those brakes...the bonus for the LED swap, mystery unknown to be exact.

Genuine tranny fluid swap on first day above freezing, and third brake light..found a clue on the mystery bulb burn, very simple fix. This truck must have never had a third brake light..first pressing of brake is bulb burn, right off the assembly line. Canadian truck build..gotta pay attention.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 24, 2015, 05:43 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

third brake light LED
                  with a multimeter, checked for + and negative, and found the LED simply needed to be made one sided. Having the two or 3 versions of LED helped..and I dropped it to 194 sizing, not the bigger 921 anymore.

that is by far the hottest light socket I have found. Glass was melted on the old 921, and the sockets are blackened.
                  the 194 fell right in.

the led bulb needs to be made one sided per contact, they lit right up brake pedal on.

In a way the third brake light is busier than the parking circuit, as those work at all times, truck on or off, lights on or off. Gave it the 1-3 watt 194 LED. Just press the brakes, circuit is lit.

Browsing extra parts, found the accel disty and plug wires and coil all together as a kit for cheaper than the msd I bought for my subaru. I am loving the parts I am finding with the costs associated.
                  Needs nothing as of now, and have the obd2 scanner in the mail, check things out.

All lights are working, and 8 times less than factory.

The dome light has not arrived yet. That one bulb as oem I found to be the same watts as one low beam headlight (18-24). That is just crazy. Past is done.

Dropping watts around computing, especially creating direction like LED can do, the diodes stop feedback, and stay very clean in the hertz numbers. This is like gaining performance parts where you want them, attacking from the backside with nerdiness.

The number one odor in this deionizing fall to lower amps... car wash. Someone liked this truck. I also smelled garage. Yes garage has an odor. This one had a private one. Must be obvious to some.

The third brake lamp is a big one. I heard another ABS function as I slowed down to pull in. The brakes are very fast thinkers. That has been a pleasant surprise. My first ABS, always thinking with a computer. High performance brakes and truck in the same sentence. wow. I must be getting older.

I do not know of any complaints with the ABS, 1996..but given what I have found, there must have been. This truck with all lamps as oem in place is sucking the life out of anything low volt or realtime clocked. I knew these updates need to be applied to any of the first obd2..especially incandescent lamps... but anyway. Giving all the secrets won't allow me to gain a 20k truck for 2500.

This one has all the power it needs, obviously fast smart function...better than factory. I am looking forward to a long ride.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 25, 2015, 04:54 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

incredible winter
                    for this place and incredible winter in the same sentence, that is a world standard to run from.

average temperature for the past 30 days is less than 5F.
                    coldest and snowiest ever in recorded history for this region.
                    100 inches of snow as well.
                    more 18 below for a low, and colder, than I can count.

The biggest chain reaction wreck in states history was not far from me, 75 cars. No one killed.

It got so cold, the side of the truck that was in a 6 below ambient, howling wind to go with it, that the tires on the left side looked deflated the next morning.
                    Got to a truck stop and found 30 psi all the way around.

It got so cold, the dome light in the cab made the roof smoke outside..with no moisture in sight.

it got so cold, the LED dash lights, white xenon, showed up in the low beams headlights as a new color for them.

it got so cold that if you took off before engine thermostat open, even the 5 liter iron v8 would surge to near overheat before flowing into the hard contrasted radiator...

it got so cold, the air bypass, throttle off, was louder than a powerstroke blow off valve.

it got so cold...

Name:	coldtruck 002w.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	649.1 KB
ID:	1011901

maybe I can airbrush this pattern permanently.

this one still sails along at 80 if you want...road goo flying.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 26, 2015, 09:52 AM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

underhood lamp

found a fancy setup below the underhood lamp. A lamp on a cable. So I plucked an 1156 LED from the sube and sure enough it worked.

I also remembered the front corner 194 were from the subaru. Those are extremely small 1 SMD LED 194. 1/2 watt to 1 watt. Small as the LED gets to be normal lighting. Looked ok, even in the bigger front end of the truck.
                      I got my other pile of amber/yellow 5smd 194 from china (took 4 weeks to mail) and swapped the front corners out today, and put the little ones back at the license plate. Those are never bright, and found it funny I could humor the past exactly. The benefit of the 1 bulb led was completely encapsulated waterproof. The license plate lights do not need a lense.

The 5 smd amber 194 allowed for a more robust blinker / parking combo, and all the same color at night. I must have been near the minimum for the electronic flasher as it woud run on for 3 blinks after shutting off. Now that is down to one blink run on...and will dial in completely eventually. Not as easy as swapping regular bulbs around, but I think it is fun. The power savings is incredible.

An odd find in this frigid place... dog urine on my back tire. I look around at other cars..and mine is the only one. Potent tom cat version. Thinking it was melting snow at first..but realized it was too cold for that, too late. Got a good dose on my finger. I ponder wild animal. If that is a house pet, the owner needs a bullet. My subaru attracted the same things. The only car out of 10 in a parking lot with a tom cat pussing odor coming off of it.

They must smell a man, and get offended.

the battle never ends.

Took a ride, am really liking this truck. Filled up the tank. Thermometer shows 8f degrees..and so badly wanted to take this to near max hp by the book. 4600 rpm. Waited till full warm, tried the highway ramp on the way home.
                      By the time I got to 4000 rpm with that nv3500 supercharge sound, vortec deep bellow... I let off giggling. This big cats paw looking truck hauls ass.

back to my nerdy self.. talking with the bro-n-law, I tend to lose him too in conversation as much as anyone..
                      the lighting system truly is the first of canbus interaction with computing, and no error control. I am quite nerdy on this full lopping madness as I have built my own computers and simple circuits for 18 years...all trial and error. I caught on right away about the lighting.

This truck is loving what I have done thus far. I have no desire to change the mother load of resistance... the headlamps as incandescent there is a good thing for this one. the tail lamp middle bulbs, they are so far from the density of precision, the warmth of those two left are welcome as well.

lighting chore complete...except for the festoon bulb. That will be here soon, so very easy to pop in.

I also got talking of fuel mileage,as my bro-n-law goes back to 1991 with nothing but chevy trucks. A working guy for along time, every day routine. He spoke up about lights that are not changeable, and he took a heater control assembly apart way back when, because the replacement was 90 bucks. tiny soldering job, little bitty light bulb. Today those controls are less than $30..but you get the idea of motivation.
                      I said I have not gone under 18mpg yet.
                      he replied, the spring and summer..this just might see 22-24. He would not be surprised. H also drove a manual once or twice, daily routine. It has not gotten any better than the manual and vortec series of engines.

I had already read about cylinder deactivation, for the 5.3..and will keep an ear and eye open for that stuff. I don't think it is necessary, and in my own pinion, it seems disruptive. A cylinder should flow..it finds its match in the firing order, call that balance of efficient. A boxer engine taught me well. A desire to shut off cylinders is a wobbling crank in the brain.

anyway, looking forward to making this look good. Spring and summer seem an eternity away.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 26, 2015, 08:19 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

frame inspection, under bed

getting a closer look, almost had this a month.
                        Underbed needs attention on all the cross sills, one shock mount is ugly.
                        back end , all the panels, someone replaced stuff at a professional level. Explains why it looks good. Not even a rust bubble external.
                        tail gate excellent etc.

to do list is gathering approximate steel needs.
                        above tire, the funky beam with a peculiar bend..

..and I want to laminate distance between springs, from the inside.
                        shackles been replaced, hangers on frame have not. those are still depth of rivet in thickness, with some exfoliation to bang around.

I figure about 50 feet in flat stock.. I am only guessing two inch x 3/16th. will get some measure.
                        6 foot runs.

Dropping amps was a good idea.. the weirdo underneath is a gas vent pointing straight up at the bed.
                        will checkout that function when the time comes.

I was just looking at an old 1156 bulb.. 27 watts written into it. I must have dropped 50 amps or more.
                        31 bulbs to LED.
                        Frames like that.

got the festoon in the dome light. That is indeed a monster as incandescent. 44mm long. The glass was blackened. This socket had a battle with what was ground and what was forward. I had to flip the bulb twice, almost thought i got a broken one.. and it came on with the last flip. Set a monster direction, with 3 watts..dioded.

I bet the festoon was 30 watts by itself..as if a headlamp in the roof.

I also found rockers are less than stellar, look forward to banging my design in with stainless and square tubing. I wonder if someone removed steps, but no bolt holes. Seems a strange shape for rockers...looks incorrect in a way. Cab corners, someone did very good. those take on the curve one would expect to see. Inside to out. floors out to vertical inner rocker, like new. Cab mounts, everything is excellent. Rubber mount pads, bolts etc. looks like a wrench can whistle stuff out no problems.

strange rockers..but I said that about my subaru too. Like they were not right for the car. exactly those individual pieces to call "rocker panel". They are less than 10 years apart..must have been a world retard, I mean standard design. I am getting to be skilled in the rocker panel.. err 10 ton beam frame helper lessons.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 27, 2015, 11:13 AM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

rocker panel.

found the mystery of the rocker panels.

the ones on it are correct for something..just not this truck. Very sily to look at.

Wondering how to bring them back out, found a pair on ebay. Almost like looking at what is perfectly missing to fit right below doors. Click image for larger version

Name:	rockers.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1012323

simple fix. I then can wrap with the 22ga stainless, and add any other measures.

this find made my day. Very easy work for me...and gain a double lower rocker. Triple is my version..but just placing stuff in? Nice.

edit:
                          better yet, I am just going to get 16ga and make something. I noticed the drip edge is non existent as well. Can make all of it one shot, bang things around.
                          I spotted a chevy with similar year, with a unique step that tucked under door edge, went straight down, into the step. My truck must have that version of rocker panel...with no corrective door steps ever added that I can see.
                          I do not want steps, will make a fat rocker.

the bonus to this weirdness, is a very strong doubled over rocker, looking normal. That area is pulverized, one year at a time chore here.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 27, 2015, 01:46 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

car wash and first thousand miles
                            I bought this sinking in the car dealer lot. Drove away with 12 pounds in 1 tire, 20 in another.
                            About 100 miles in, I decided to check tire pressures.

that was january 30th or so. Wheel straightened out, I was brought back to that gentle almost slop feeling of my delta88... fell right back into a routine I knew for miles and miles.

1000 miles have gone by to today, A record breaking month for maine... the coldest ever, and the most snow...ever.
                            A z71 and big gmc logo on the grille is to be confident about.

So far, I have swapped 31 bulbs to led, a flasher, billet oil filter and an oil change.

My fourth 305 chevy, the exhaust told me it was time for a wash.

Sure enough it loved it. The alloys are a nice sink to drop the amp changes...a spray at the radiator through the grille is the other promoter of dynamics. 50 amps gone is a lot to wash away.

Before I left for the wash, I banged out the door dent to at least not look like a disaster, after realizing it is the type of crease that is never gonna hide completely. Why not bang at it if I can. I found I got it right through a vent, socket extension and a hammer, without removing door panel, and banged away until it was looking like an innocent dent... all trucks have at least one.

Washed it off, and I'll be damned, this looks good for 18 years. Waxable.
                            Quite ride home, now near dark. The dome light is a bit too blue..but it could be just me. Looks modern anyway.

All the external lights are vivid.

Name:	motor 003.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	771.4 KB
ID:	1012404

I took apart the heater motor, I knew I was going to find young and hot.
                            long brushes, riveted shut by siemens (the manufacture) and knew to take the kids version away.
                            I did the same for my wimpy subaru.
                            popped rivets, greased up with hight temp valvoline wheel bearing grease.. and wait for big cfm and some noise.
                            that is where it is at now.
                            put back together with whatver screws I had..those are from a pc motherboard.

this will calm in eventually, electrons floating the new sizing of slick ends on the motor...and much larger cfm.
                            I have paper towels on the floor of the truck, in the middle. Something cuaght my eye, and on floor mode, it was blowing the roll into another place already.

this got so hot, the wires that plug into motor are blackened and partially melted. I remember this trucks version via a friend some 10 years ago.
                            the heater system is so robust, one does not even know they got the dry bearing motor spinning.

this one was so dry, one end had the color of rust...and it was still spinning.
                            live with the noise until dial in..if it does not, the shaft was already sprung to heat. Not a big loss, as if that is the case, these are very cheap to buy brand new, with new fan attached.

..and lastly, plugged in the obd2 scanner. All is good except for a code for o2..and that was fake of course. Seems they forgot to clear it. I mentioned in one of the first posts, the o2 sensor is shiny, on a young y-pipe. Anything with a heater, like MAF, is also one to trigger a fake. Cleared code, and it stayed there thus far.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 28, 2015, 02:35 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

new heater motor

The old one.. young and sprung. That is pathetic. thinking I could recover it, but no. its a goner. No cool down for that one.
                              so.. searching around found siemens as one of the cheapest replacements you can get for this.

key word : cheapest
                              it was funny first glimpse of those giant brushes... and the two tiny ends of the rotor (armature) shafts being smaller than the damn brushes..

so, browsed some more, found a confident one with a 10 year warranty, grabbed at it.

1985-95 Chevrolet Astro without Rear Air Conditioning HVAC Blower Motor Assembly. 1992-96 Chevrolet C1500 Truck HVAC Blower Motor Assembly. 1992-96 Chevrolet C2500 Truck HVAC Blower Motor Assembly. 1992-96 Chevrolet C3500 Truck HVAC Blower Motor Assembly.

I found subaru had its weirdness too, 9 years of the same car. A 1993 loyale heater motor is still in it today.. the 1987 version, a nightmare. "they" don' tell us anything.
                              they are all the same... so they say.

A cool thing to find is how clean that was in there. Not even a pine needle. I had just commented on the rocker/ door design down at the bottoms. I really like that. The rockers no, they are too skinny, but the design at the bottom of door is a blessing for hvac.

To get into a clean environment, it is realtime, the cabin even feels good, not just smells good. A first for me. All my vehicles in maine are a pig. This truck is a first, trying to stay clean by itself.

I did leave the bottoms of my subaru doors open as much as possible, and tell nobody. It is funny to find this built into a gmc. That seems to be the only spot that works...continuous flow, on non-recirc modes.

the blower motor in it now is making quite a racket, all slicked up and free, cooled down..pumps alot of air, now just need a quiet new one. That noise will drive me nuts eventually.

..and clearing the past code for o2 strangely created quite apower boost. This is a question for dieselgeek... why did it do that? close a loop or something? Very responsive throttle. Needs skills to drive.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 28, 2015, 06:27 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

super blower motor

I took the blower motor apart again and went pc computer fan skills all over it. (I have built my own for 18 years).
                                I found the shaft moves separate from the armature. Stubborn enough to keep some use, I aligned everything exactly, still super slicked...
                                and awesome.

took alot of vibration out, but some is still there, the new motor on the way is called for. Great spare... and made it myself. One cannot leave the driveway until the nice 3 days in july when it is a dry morning, without a heater motor.

good to have spares.

Feeling the volume of full speed ahead, very impressive.

Call me antique, but I am still reading up on obd2, and just learned "gm driving cycle" after resetting codes.

o2 sensor is full speed ahead, I guess those things do not reset themselves, they need a human after changing parts. I can smell the sweet cat exhaust, and a little bit more billet filter. (pcv on big oil pressure). I know these 305 well. The injection, that is just something to smile about.

I have had the 305 feisty enough to not need a choke... all year round. Custom carb build.
                                mileage is similar, but the injection at slow speeds is much smarter...and that other end, big cfm. Never gone to the other end yet.

here is a good drawing to learn. wiper motors, starter motors, blower motors...
                                one can do a lot on their own to make stuff easy going:

Name:	14177_60_2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1012541

went for another ride, now at 1075 miles. First 28F and whole sunny day I have seen with this truck. Beautiful buy. I have not done this good ever...although the 1984 exactly original monte carlo SS with a genuine HO 305 was nice for 1700 dollars... back when it was 12 years old.

This truck is at the upper end for the old engine design. Loving that fifth gear.

I have no desire to change the heater motor, I accidentally did something perfect with it.

I added a bungi cord via the problems since 1982 gmc: the grille, driver side.

This needs a bumper filler, and possibly a grille. I do not forget the tricks when it is all looking good, and you have to swap the whole thing out for a plastic tab that broke.

That could be this trucks only asshole.. and its right up front. Some things haven't changed.

I am ready to cross the country with it. Welding first would be a nice thing to do...but it is good to go anyway. A reassuring thought.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 1, 2015, 05:18 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X