1996 GMC 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 GMC 5-speed

How i did not think this was bangshifty. Inadvertantly quick. Surprised me.
    This is great candidate for the 5k thread.
    last updated april 2016
    $2500 - truck february 2015
    180 - tax, temp plate, title
    638 - tires
    200 - steel
    100 - led tail
    270 - hurst
    24 - o2 sensor
    90 - energy suspension
    14 - front wheel sensors
    109 - a/c compressor
    40 - all the spring and pins and tool to fix doors
    8 - special socket for nv3500 drain and refill
    39 - blower motor
    70 -hellwig
    40 - all the other LED
    90 billet oil filter
    70 - front lamp replace
    99 - bendix rear drums
    109 - carter fuel complete
    60 balkamp napa ubolts heavy duty
    127 flowmaster 53058
    262 ball joints
    55 concentric spacers
    64 LED front lamps
    78 projector lenses
    total = $5139

the priceless stuff is going tons over on the cross sills and steel with very good steel. full rolled front sill, etc etc (detailed list below)
    kelly blue book has this one at $4359 in good shape.
    I truly feel like I walked into 8000 with the beyond factory stuff.

free stainless was a hefty discount for the rockers.. and some leftover steel from another project. I may finish it off with a unique vented bumper from LMC. I might have 30 hours in it by now. I did all the work. Will add the little things I forgot above.

A save the 5 speed thread...and will attempt to keep it brief (hahaha).

bought with a car fax..it has normal servicing back to 2003. The last big one written is janury 29 2013. Miles trickled to much less than 10k a year since 2008. Now at 349k.
    • brake cable replaced
    • new gas tank
    • slave cylinder
    • valve cover
    • intake gasket
    • front brakes replaced
    • inside door handle

The dealer I bought it from, the guy was a worker of his own business, and very honest. The frame patches possible, etc..he spoke right up. Receiver hacked out of it, left a mess with notches. Trailer brake gadget still there, under dash, but with no work to do. Very smart move by whoever did that. Saved this truck. Easy sale. Drive it 120 miles home. He did some more work, not in car fax. Front cv (date stamp verified). Rear end work. Power steering pump complete swap somewhere recent..still had old burned ATF and grey bearing from a completely exploded pump (very violent ending for whoever witnessed it), evidenced when I cleaned lower engine bay. Engine is too quite to match 349 k. He also said something was done for that engine, did not need to know, I used my own ears and throttle foot..very quiet. This is my fourth 305. More than 100k miles myself driving them around.

the mods/repairs as of SEP 2015:
    • bendix rear drums BFPDR0541
      • being sure they are the 22 pound
    • all cross sills under bed
      • front cross sill is full rectangle hot rolled 1/8th american (24 pounds!)
      • laminated flat stock repair for all but the middle and front
      • the middle is two angle iron forming a square..still sitting on sliding oem feet
      • framing of the hole I cut in bed while removed for fuel pump, fender nuts
      • approx 70 pounds static structure added here.
      • the bed is thick rhino lined.. inspired me to give it some guts.
    • genuine hurst (core) short throw shift kit complete
      • all four bolts.. at least 20 foot pounds...not inch pounds.
    • carter fuel pump full assembly
      • I was sure to wrap the wires in the protective tube. Did not come with pump. Have some ready. I remember some violent outcomes, the fist electric pumps in the trucks...no direction on the extra sheathing tube for wires.
    • 8.8mm custom accel equal length wires
      • these do not exist of course, had to make them. I used the original ends at the disty side..looks like trick factory.
    • 44 led lamps, one relay
    • 2 headlamp casings (the modern crystal something - cheap quality, but oh well - they are bright)
    • 2 complete prebuilt tail lamps LED
      • this helps clean define brake switch, and that means relay for blinkers and ABS
      • kills anode decay
    • haynes manual (not very useful)
    • pro products 10876 billet oil filter
      • this was for the oil cooler double relief balancer - (excellent)
    • genuine GM manual tranny fluid, updated part number.
    • LMC truck 92-98 upper doors weather seal (this year truck shipped with a slight mistake - but worked all this time anyway)
    • 1 door pin, all four bushings (driver side)
      • 2 door springs
      • 1 spring roller pin
    • door jam weld (my bad, not the trucks problem)
    • stainless steel rocker panels, fattened beyond bottom of door (gone over two layers of factory rocker)
      • approx 12 pounds added here
    • energy suspension
      • sway bar end links
      • transmission mount
      • rad supports
        • energy poly lower, factory upper, stainless steel sandwich for extreme maine thermals (cab changes length to frame)
        • amazing find: an exact clock cycle of munched oversize rad support holes revealing 350k miles and the seasonal changes of frame steel and cab steel trying to stay together. Looked like it made its own clock with little groves 360 degrees of the holes. I stainless steel sandwiched to let it move its microns from 30 below to 120F traffic jam.
      • lower and upper cab mount bushings
        • 130mm new bolts for the very back mounts
        • 120mm for the rest
        • 12x1.75 for reference
        • class 12 is hard as I could find.
    • new a/c pump
      • high side valve
      • new accumulator
    • frame poking and patching
      • left rear shock mount welded
      • patch in the same area.. before any real errors
      • tail end refurbished.. somebody hacked a receiver out of it, left a mess with notches.
      • refurbish tire hanger.. no more tire, this was for the frame only.
      • approx 25 pounds static weight added here
    • kumho road venture APT (KL51) LT265/75/16
      • 55psi front
      • 60+ rear
      • 3415 pound sidewall at 80psi
      • approx 80 pounds added here
    • heater motor ball bearing
      • the seasons alone rumbled the old sleeve motor to death, the ball bearing even gets through dramatic density changes of frame welding. Excellent stuff.
    • hellwig 985 spring leaf helper
      • Can set tension myself
      • this truck shipped with 1425lb rear springs (very wimpy)
      • max weight increase is 2000 (just shy of gm's smallest 3/4 ton)
      • new ubolts - high strength, fine thread. 7/8ths nut instead of 3/4
      • 14 pounds static weight here
    • weight changes
      • gained approx 190 pounds
        • 80 of it is LT tires
      • new gvwr is 6800 up from 6200
      • rear max load 1900-2200
      • tongue weight.. bumped up 100+ (easy) to 500.
      • tow weight 7000 (pretty much the same as factory)
      • curb weight 4750 (was 4575)
        • this is a real 5000 with fluids

348k miles, it all works. from february to now..nearly complete already.

96-98 is the spider injection. 75mm throttle on this 5 liter. 230hp.. more like 250+, especially on the carter pump, an odd modern o2 sensor for the merge. quite noticably bigger and faster. No other mods. Even the muffler is factory.
    this truck also triggers a false bad catalyst code due to how low each gear can lug.. no cure unless stay above 2100 in every gear. Two ends of the extremes, this one has a bit of both. Had to unhook the light, and unhooked the shift light as well. Lo and behold that created an even faster computer. This one has 4 less fuses than the automatics.

Only two errors that I had a serious complaint about. The engine hates offset length plug wires, the manual tranny revealed the oblong noise in the idle. This proved to me the injection is incredible.

The other one, may be attributed to a hefty transfer case/shaft: I could not drop the gas tank without dropping the big fat driveshaft..and cut a hole through the bed to get to fuel pump instead. Middle of winter. Stuck where it was parked. The tank design is something I remember all the way back to a friends 1984, so this was not all that surprising. The truck still has the regular sized rear end.

one of my first photos. Drove it home from southern maine, bitterly cold. I had driven a tin can so long, I almost wept at the thought of sitting up straight and the heater? that was on low to keep me warm at 10F outside. This photo also reveals the P rated tire squat.. heavy gmc.

a meticulous restore and upkeep...and then gm certified mechanic owned as a finale before me. Beautiful colors to me, black mist and ruby red interior. Power everything. A/c etc. Exactly factory everything..and no desire to change anything. 13 years of car fax went with the sale, very honest talk of possible frame patches needed. No regrets at all. The 1996 framing had some serious updates. The tail end is still the same old chores.

I love taking in the welding chores. I double value after reeling in 20 years in one day to twice the psi and ideas long running into play. I tend to leave "friends" opinions behind...instead of the truck. Growing up with trucking since the 70s, these pickups are almost like toys. Half ton is my favorite. All kinds of extras to add on. I write this thread for that reason. Leaving a truck with needs behind for a tin can with 10 more mpg is a plague that aches my brain. I lived it.

This one gets 24mpg in the summer. Highway onramps is simply phenomenal.

I have had nearly all the unique 305. The L30 is actually a 306..but who is measuring. The 1984 monte carlo SS with high output label was very powerful to me (I owned a genuine 1984 - all factory). This vortec which has the first of the LT series heads..blew my mind. I have many miles in 305 powered cars. ..and took a 3 on the tree pickup from 1978 for a spin or two as well.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 15, 2016, 10:03 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

nice truck
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Looks like a well cared for truck. It amazing how well some of these trucks do on gas. Good luck!
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Great, Barry! Have fun and I hope no cell phone operator is inappropriate with it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Great, Barry! Have fun and I hope no cell phone operator is inappropriate with it.

Dan
          That is a bad habit no doubt.My first ride home, a steering box with a unique feel.. I had to leave the phone alone indeed.

The truck really is fun..but I am getting older. I even want the single exhaust pipe/cat as new as it is right now.
          That was something not in the first post. I forgot what a steering box was like. I thought it was sloppy at first, but no.. its some variable something something. It knows to stay easy in the cold, tighten as it warms. That was a cool thing to catch onto. It also showed me the front left tire was down..and did not tug, just gained a direction and kept it there. Finally got to an air source..instant cadillac. Straight level wheel. The opposite of anything I have driven. I may go for the only adjustment to toughen, I still do have laborers arms...expected a different feel.
          I also found, the steering boxes remanned or even new, are plentiful, if I wanted to. Several brands.

Torsion front suspension, not sure of any extras.. very precise. Rack and pinion of the next generation is about the only thing a new one has on this. I love it on my bad roads. To remember a 1974 ford with manual steering, and 3/4 turn of slop with a clunk still passing maine inspection legally...as they were all bad. Times sure did catch up. I left off with a 79 chevy truck for power box steering. This one seems genius to aging people like me. I like this box, my initial rack and pinion thoughts are nulled for this one. I almost feel stupid for thinking it.

I'll give everyone a ride with that cheap chinese dash cam I got recently. Getting some tall snow banks this year.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 5, 2015, 05:35 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Nice score, congrats! Those are sweet-driving trucks and I love the ratios and shifting with an NV3500, hard to find with a 4x4.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
              Nice score, congrats! Those are sweet-driving trucks and I love the ratios and shifting with an NV3500, hard to find with a 4x4.
              I really like it.
              Recently found an ebay store that can bump up the tire wheel combo, less then 2k.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.JPG
Views:	658
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1005995

I was hunting down a concave (self cleaning) 17x8 with a +25mm offset to resemble factory . I wanted to gain almost an inch more inward to help the torsion bar be a tiny bit stiffer and stay factory out. Through the searches, thus far..this wheel has my win. the tire will be 285 70. No change in speedometer to notice...within 1mph and just 10 revolutions per mile. That is damn close enough. I am also a nut about 6 spoke for 6 lugs, to get away from weird to me 8 spoke and 5 (oem) spoke on 6 lugs ..silliness. Even my subaru has a 3/4 ton looking 8 spoke with 4 lugs. It even "looks" correct.

so..the next big bill is the combo all together with tires. I wanted street looking all season, and this store has some. For now, all is ecellent, and even a spare. No big rush. 16x7 factory, very nice..still a bit too tall on the sidewall for 25 below zero, and back slamming above to a tropical 20F. Weather deflation/inflation is as crazy as an old kc135.

Name:	relief 002w.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1005994

this little valve does big things.

I got the v8 version (a little higher pressure rating) of ac delcos pressure relief today, billet filter due next week. This one fits the cadillac cts-v. I'll show what I do to the billet filter...should be monday or tuesday.

There is a lighter pressure version for the smaller than v8 engines. I have had that in my subaru with the professional products billet oil filter for a couple of years. I must declare perfection. It has been long enough to prove it. The lifters may be 1million mile versions now after the stainless mesh at 45micron.

I was looking forward to a v8 version of what I had done some day...seems to be coming together so far.

one noise that will never go away, and I grew to love it as a tool... the cold throwout bearing chatter. From my dads rig, to a little subaru, to this truck. The subaru hides the most, with a self balanced engine.. but I still listen in as arctic comes through. It tells me crank balance, temperatures and when ready to drive.

With this version of 305 v8, I found it has the modern/lifter cam, roller something, very robust injection timing. Very quiet of course. I still remember the smallness of the oil pumps in the SBC, (my subaru is twice over that for four cyls)... and how much work they have to do. The billet filter is more than an extra thought in this place. Relief in the sweet spot to help it.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 6, 2015, 09:29 AM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

Name:	tow1.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	1006174

the subaru of the devil is back home with this trucks first tow, and me at the helm. A car dolly from uhaul. Did not even notice it was there.
                something interesting happened to the subaru.. its in the build thread.

was hoping for the billet filter and new manual tranny fluid before any of this..but dad is getting as old as his two brain cells. Wanted the car out instantly. I may not even have a place to weld anymore...
                That old nut and I are two worlds. My own has no 1960s hallucinogenics.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

I've towed more with slightly less and it didn't even notice.

Slightly less = '97 ½ton long bed regular cab 2wd 5.7L

Glad to see you like your truck.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                    I've towed more with slightly less and it didn't even notice.

Slightly less = '97 ½ton long bed regular cab 2wd 5.7L

Glad to see you like your truck.
                    I am grateful the tow went good without my version of inspection, on the tail end. Doing good. Lights plugged right in, no shorts.

I really am old school. Left off with a 79 heavy half, 3 speed auto. Two little barrels and two big ones..and retarded pause inbetween.

this vortec stuff... wow. I do not even think 350 anymore.

I found a very hefty oil cooler line near the filter, I guess this must have the genuine tow package? I got no manuals yet, the basic haynes is due monday. I am hoping the oil filter is the m18x1.5.. I found the 6.5 diesel with cooler has the 13/16-16. The drama of tension.

I did find the big fat radiator, and the 16 quarts to fill stuff.

If I had not read the advice to stay out of overdrive, I would have been sailing along with a dangling subaru at 80mph on the highway. I kept it right in fourth, the 1 to 1 gear. About 60mph tops, 2200 rpm.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 6, 2015, 08:31 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

the only overdrive warning is for an automatic, yours isn't an automatic - 5th gear is fine, the NV4500 is a stout transmission - how stout? 500 lbs of stout... they are a heavy beast.
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 6, 2015, 10:36 PM.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This place has everything that is available for these trucks and many more. They are generally more expensive than other places. I find it good reference material and they have a vin decoder chart too.

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                          http://www.lmctruck.com/

This place has everything that is available for these trucks and many more. They are generally more expensive than other places. I find it good reference material and they have a vin decoder chart too.
                          wow.
                          that is quite a switch from hanging nto an 80s japanese car.

Today I was looking at the door seams, and found one is not adjusted right. passenger side, lower half, at the rear.
                          So, I am looking around, only one adjustment, the door latch peg on the pillar. Torx bit, loosened it up, instant eighth.. but that was not quite enough.
                          a bfh to the door latch side, and realized this whole rig has been over more than once.

the cab corners are a double at a minumum.

Ths summer gets the same chore as the subaru, stainless inner door seam, down low. Other than that, it very much like riding in a new vehicle. No noises, moaning nothing.
                          I also found the tilt wheel lever today..now just right.

I learned more of the torsion type suspension taking a back way home from the city. Frost heaves, very slickery salty arctic temperature snow. I can see how they get away with the z71 offroad logo boasting of something special. My subaru would not keep up with this in a genuine rally race...not even close. And the rpm range dishing out the power, its not even the bigger small block and quite impressive enough.

edit:
                          I just found the high low beam on at the same time, as a relay kit, but am going for switch back led in the clear blinker/parking lense. That should be plenty. that would be interesting to have a wall of headlamp like the national lampoon wagon.

I may try it sometime.

I also changed "bfg" to "bfh". I did not smack my door with a bf goodrich to adjust it.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 7, 2015, 02:30 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Are the hinges on those trucks glued on? Or was someone pulling my leg when they told me that?

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                              Are the hinges on those trucks glued on? Or was someone pulling my leg when they told me that?
                              They bolt on like typical GM hinges but they put a large bead of sealer around the hinges to keep water from getting in and causing problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X