Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prebent stainless lines delivered
    good sized box
    just grabbed one from the drawing to size it up, see how they did.

the front left has peculiar things to bend at the control arm side... but it will install and use the original gm clip.
    It is freezing spitting rain right now, and remembered another reason I like stainless...
    the odor in the rain is not like the plain old steel. I love the stainless.

will wait for first nice day to hack up perfectly good lines and put the stainless in.
    I again wonder if the odometer is really 374k miles..
    it is just too damn good.

I'll go with my favorite garages recommendation anyway.

in maine when you constantly lose on a particular vehicle, people throw own shit at someone elses same model..even if it is winning.

like me and subarus. I'd just assume pee on one before respecting some fluke that made it to 300k miles here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	calvin pee on subaru-500x500.png
Views:	60
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1239355

I think that is what happened with my brake lines and the inspector.
    he must have lost a lot with his gm trucks.

my truck isn't there... but I like upgrade anyway. stainless is a nice upgrade.
    I'll save the old lines for some hack elsewhere. I always end up needing some in the future.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 3, 2019, 03:23 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• Have you ever tried the easy bend lines?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shep48COE View Post
        Have you ever tried the easy bend lines?
        yep. done them all I think....except nickel copper.
        one of the guys at the inspection garage likes them...

I want the 120,000 psi stainless 304. won't have to think of them again.

there is also a theory (maine is notorious for changing factory intentions) if the metal has zinc, it creates its own low volt.
        it may be my half lit abs light ont he dash...
        the cheap zink like lines that remain universal at the parts stores today.
        I'll install high grade for anti-magnetic for speed sensors nearby etc.

I knew today was a day that was breaking into real spring, and checked power steering. I left it at the cold level.. as I was adding it I heard a big boom down the road and a metal scraping noise.

a dodge caravan blew its tire right off the rim.

maine spring is here after 6 months of winter for sure.. the length of day is taking over.

this saturday is my brake line day.. I am hoping for a 60F on the thermometer, rain or shine

the turbros updated their gmt400
        now single turbo

it is strange to hear the hard thump of a traditional 350 and a spool
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 11, 2019, 07:14 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• brake chores.. day 1
          60 degrees today.

got under it a better look at stuff, getting underneath.
          made this bracket today, letting the prebent stainless lines be the guide. I was very impressed with that.
          first try went all the way past the gas tank up and over and in and out of spots gm intended.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01280w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	678.1 KB ID:	1240149

I figured to trust it to make my own bracket coming off of frame over to rubber line at rear end..
          harbor fright welder to the rescue.

don't even know what the original looks like. it was a flexible almost broken hack job by previous owner already...but it worked.
          I did break that with my hands today. Maybe that is what the inspector was referring to. the lines are not bad at all.

made an extra tough version with angle iron. some quick hammer welding.. wanted to keep it long and spring loaded like factory sheet metal daydreams. Works great, hardly too stiff
          As you may tell the brake line was a universal type.. and no problems.

not fighting with wheel cylinders, and a rubber line up front.
          going to order that stuff and get this all done. Won't have to fight stubborn connections..at least keep it to a minimal.

will be more than half the brake lines will be stainless 304. The rest appears to be heading for 10000 years with no problems at all.

replacing the whole back end and one line up front,

something I wasn't going to mention.. but will.
          on the way to garage, encountered fastest line of traffic ever. My speedometer is programmed for big fat tires..fast reading by 5mph anyway it may be the custom weird long brake line bracket explanation as well (old lift kit perhaps removed)..

anyway, took it to 100, let speed limiter kick in.
          4 of us vehicles.

don't know how fast that is. these are supposed to be 98mph, but the manual trans has some creep. maybe 104.

still smooth as glass. the 32 something diameter tires, load range 10 ply.. feel like 300 is capable.
          the world is changing.Among the traffic was a big newer 3/4 ton with a sonwombolie trailer longer than the truck..sailing along at 90 as if to lead the way. The rest were small engined foriegned 4x4s.

I ponder getting that aging jet tune to remove speed limiter.
          did not plan on 135+ being necessary, who knows. maybe it is the future.

float them wipers and let the 5500 pound breeze go right on by. feel free to ask yourself "how?" and "why?"
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 13, 2019, 06:04 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• nice choice for texas speed..

assuming LS and their knowledge goes in.

I watched this to get a look at the 2wd version of the rear crazy brake line bracket.
            I know i got mine right now.
            I suppose it is a tip for someone..
            use the prebent stainless line to get a good idea of what that impossible bracket is supposed to go.
            I remember this like gas tank straps.. the home made results are endless.

I looked out in my rural parking lot to a sound of heavy and manual trans...
            an all black k1500 xcab with a toolbox.

looked like a dull version of mine with 15 inch rallies.
            catching on is an understatement
            that one sounded LS.. not an sbc thump.
            nice truck.

when you find twins of a 23 year old vehicle in the far north.. you know somebody manufactured something right.

I am staying SBC.
            I have a one for the gipper engine build in mind, still not for racing.
            turbros build is inspiring as well...
            but I'd need all of something in the controls. like one holley terminator, or one megasquirt.. the piggybacking is not my fun.
            I build my own home pc.
            fractal geometry is not part of it.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 14, 2019, 10:04 AM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• my dad works all year out on the road, one end of maine to the other..
              even he noticed the unusual freakish cold stab of just a breeze.. even though the thermometer is finally climbing.
              that sun cycle is dramatic here.

I was expecting an unusually hot spring. not happening.

anyway, riding my 30 day leeway on the inspection sticker is time enough to get a bigger plan.
              I got two wheel cylinders on the way, and am going to use anti-sieze on the stainless connections.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wheelcylinders.jpg Views:	1 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	1240415
              as you can see the porous casting in this. It is only going to clamp even tighter on a stainless line connect.
              I shamefully have to take out two good cylinders for the line change.

it sucks..it is my only problem with old drum brakes. at $25 delivered..not much of a big deal.
              in my locale, connecting these once..and it is a total tear down with new lines to go at it again.
              age and rust has nothing to do with it.
              the casting clamps like teeth.
              I am not exactly hercules to put it together with a wrench tighten.

Will have the whole back end done in half a day.
              I clearly remember doing this stuff in parking lots over the years.
              I had one big delta 88 that insisted it could only have rear brakes...and it was out on the road.
              the front had a bizarre error starting at the master cylinder.

very rare outcome.
              lots of stories. My favorite loss was the 1980s subaru with the ebrake that works front calipers.
              can't even lose in an emergency...full brake on that handle.

I like brakes being perfect.
              this truck is close. the ingenuity of working with the flexing the back end around was clever by previous owner.
              I am hoping I am not too stiff on the mystery bracket...
              got the 900 pound helpers and 500 pounds in the bed at all times anyway.
              my frame welds and cross sills.. it is not exactly a half ton shaking its factory ass.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 16, 2019, 08:59 AM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• as the title says

he makes it look lightweight.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• street speed back in yuppie granola mode.

how do you babble more than seinfeld and make thousands of dollars an episode?
                  strange phenomena

the front bumpers on gmt 400s never rust, let alone rot.
                  you'd need hydrochloric acid

or a viet nam vet or gulf 1 vet as a long term chemical warfare'd owner.

not sure what he gained there besides more openings for thing to get smashed up

got two wheel cylinders in the mail.. now we got a flood warning and 4 days of rain.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 18, 2019, 08:15 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• the third all black gmt400 I am following

I see there really is more than one version of the brake line bracket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	brakebracket.JPG Views:	1 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	1240745 etcg's factory 2wd

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01280w.jpg Views:	2 Size:	678.1 KB ID:	1240746

here is my 4x4 version.. I had guessed previous owner may have had alift kit.. or 4x4 is simply longer for articulation.

all versions line up with bump stop on a lateral line. the 4x4 has a bg bump stop, and taller suspension.
                    it is also lined up in front of shock... that may be for reverse protection, let the weeds and whatever hit the shock and go around the connection, instead of plowing into the bracket.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 19, 2019, 09:12 AM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• this will be informative for the old truck swapped to modern drivetrain

texas speed does it fast and right
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• banks going all out..

he mentioned the older style trucks.
                        he has a 1990 gmc waiting for one of his turbo builds.

That would be a nice swap into my own
                        I bet he gets top dollar though.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• got to poking at right front fender...
                          same as the oldest gm trucks I have driven, the battery eats them

I was surprised at the amount of decay

Click image for larger version

Name:	fender1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1241756

got this cheap fender on the way.. amd there is a complaint about shipping leaving dents.
                          I'll just go with it

a question... it shows this structure inside, is that part of fender?
                          never bought one before.

still running on expired sticker, today is tempting to get under it finally...
                          filled up my little generator to run a cutoff wheel, just snap the old route off to get a socket on connections..
                          but I wanted to do this at the garage.

Still contemplating what to do...
                          I think I can go there sunday

the silly part of going this rebel.. the truck is not failed. I am going with a recommendation.
                          Not sur einspectors are supposed to do that, but hey.. I'll go with advice
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Yes, it'll come with the inner bits welded in. Advice - scuff up the E-coat (the paint-like substance on there is a sort of primer but won't hold up to much weather) and drag the fender to MAACO or whatever similar place you have. It's easy to paint the edges, etc. when off the vehicle and darn near impossible once installed. I wouldn't expect it to cost much more than $100 (if you were close I'd spray it for you). Tape the edges of the adjoining panels and be careful with the new paint as it'll be soft for a while but you can install it w/o damage if you take a little care. If you do it that way the truck will continue to look as pretty as it does now.

Don't be real surprised if you have to file a bolt hole or bend a backing panel here and there - the Chinese dies may or may not be as precise as the OEM but they sure are a a bunch cheaper!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              Yes, it'll come with the inner bits welded in. Advice - scuff up the E-coat (the paint-like substance on there is a sort of primer but won't hold up to much weather) and drag the fender to MAACO or whatever similar place you have. It's easy to paint the edges, etc. when off the vehicle and darn near impossible once installed. I wouldn't expect it to cost much more than $100 (if you were close I'd spray it for you). Tape the edges of the adjoining panels and be careful with the new paint as it'll be soft for a while but you can install it w/o damage if you take a little care. If you do it that way the truck will continue to look as pretty as it does now.

Don't be real surprised if you have to file a bolt hole or bend a backing panel here and there - the Chinese dies may or may not be as precise as the OEM but they sure are a a bunch cheaper!

Dan
                              yep, thank you..
                              I still have my paint guns. My old subaru was the experiment years ago.
                              the black is super easy.
                              the bed I slapped on stuff, cuz I don't really care .. but the fenders, those make the whole truck from a mile away.
                              see if I can do a good job

I learned the sale will be the low grade, most likely some imperfections.
                              I am accustomed to welding the dam rotten things myself.. the truck parts are cheap enough to just buy

Previously boxer3main

Comment

• stainless brake lines

first nice day.. in fact it got outright warm.. thought of the air con

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01284w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1242080

over 12 feet, believe it or not...maybe even more. 8 connections. all of them came loose...I know that old stuff wasn't 23 year sold now for sure.
                                the inspector was indeed a good premonition. the right line in photo to the right wheel, snapped in half with ease after snipping it at the connector end. I gave it a quick yank broke way too easy right in the middle..

that was the only weak line...the rest were very good.

but non-magnetic stainless 304 is a nice swap. I also found a routing error... and I rewelded bracket at frame to be more precise after connecting.

Did not even need the bleeder screws on the old wheel cylinders. I just bled it at the line.
                                this routine for me is 32 years old this year. Back brakes came right to life..
                                thinking of the past, dad was there..remembered my 78 delta88, very first road going vehicle. Needed all the brake lines. I was 15 back then.

he was showing me photos. We only have one of his dad (my grandpa) he said the same thing grandma did... "you look like him"

setting up another appt for sticker tomorrow.

next project is frame next to gas tank.. and new fender.
                                ..and the fender? this will be its third brand new one.
                                375k miles coming on fast .
                                I guess they are good on passenger side in 7 year intervals.(the battery has to vent)

speaking of time and intervals. My shoulder popped while at my computer some days ago.
                                it even feels like a splinter of bone grinding around in there. It even kept me awake if i rolled arond the wrong way.

Today it stopped working for awhile after bothering a sweet spot underneath the truck.. locked right out.

I have never had a shoulder not working. I can only pretend it does not bother me.
                                A doctor declared degengerative osteoarthritis a few years ago... but I thought it meant my bizarre foot only.
                                I have learned words like bi-lateral etc. I worked for several years wit my foot broken.. it created a calcium overload condition.
                                I wonder if that ever did stop...

get it while you're young.

today in the SAC (old strategic air command) group, a guy is commending the crew chiefs. I am never humbled by this.. until i realize some of the chores gone by.

this old brake line swap, with a quick weld included, took less than 2 hours with my wrench arm in a bind. Bled it myself, back on the road.

thanks for the nice comments.

for god and country..

Click image for larger version  Name:	God-and-Country_main_web.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	1242089

...and the person that might fall victim to your pile of shit going down the road.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 5, 2019, 08:05 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X