No announcement yet.

1966 F100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, in '78 or '79 the wheelbase on the shortbed was lengthened 2". That's the dilemma I face with the current frame. The biggest reason I wanted to buy an extra cab and doors was because I intend to stretch my cab through the doors. I want a little more leg room and modern proportions. The longer frame will give me my extra length. I'm sure it'll be lots of work for only 2" of gain. I've considered making a true extended cab or even a crew cab, but I can't figure out how to make it look right.

I'm going with the 300 because it's similar to the original, just with EFI. I'm tempted to build this as a tribute to my original '66 that was passed down to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JR66Ford View Post
      ...I intend to stretch my cab through the doors. I want a little more leg room and modern proportions. The longer frame will give me my extra length. I'm sure it'll be lots of work for only 2" of gain...
      Yeah, that does seem like one heck of a lot of work for not a lot more legroom, not to mention a surefire route to project fatigue and eventual gridlock. Having just completed what was supposed to have been a 6-month refurbishment/spruce-up -- which then turned into a 3-year restoration -- I'm now a big advocate of:
      a) having clearly defined project goals, and
      b) keeping things simple.
      Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Sorry about that last post, I sounded like a know-it-all "that guy" ass, which wasn't the intent. Love the 65-66 Ford PUs and your plan for a 5-speed backed 300-cid 6-cylinder powertrain is very cool. It's my impression, based on what I read in enthusiast magazines and have seen at shows here in the mid-Atlantic, that there is a tremendous revival of interest in them; they're simple to work with, don't have to be mega-expensive, decent parts availability and are an excellent foundation for hot-rodding. Good luck and looking forward to future installments.
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Michael, I didn't get the "know it all", " that guy" vibe... It is sound advice.. You been there and done that..
          I would think it comes to comfort vs ability vs having something that makes guys go "Hmmm.. something's " off"
          I have a hard time getting my size 12's into some cars

Comment

No worries. This project is actually 11 years in the making. 2 attempts along the way and I finally know what I want and how to get it. The actual fabrication part of it will be no problem. I'm a competent metal worker and see this as a fairly straight forward process. I've even contemplated sticking a big back window in it from a '60 model. Just to make people look twice. The body lines on that part of the cab are surprisingly similar. As soon as the weather clears up and stays that way, I'm hoping to get started mocking up parts.

Comment

That will make folks go "Hmmm? Somethings off!" .

Comment

Working...
              X