The Blue Bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blue Bird

Not sure where to start on this one... We rescued this 1966 Thunderbird Landau from the elements. Its body was very straight and the interior good. My buddy Tim and I got it running and driving . The next step? Paint. I had this cool CL72 Scrambler motorcycle when I was a kid. It had a nice lace paint job on the tank. I always liked it. In a strange set of circumstances we found a couple of guys that love to paint and pinstripe. We had some good stuff to trade for it (truck etc.) Heres the results:Click image for larger version

Name:	blubird8.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1016686 Click image for larger version

Name:	blubird7.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1016687 Click image for larger version

Name:	blubird6.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1016688 Click image for larger version

Name:	blubird5.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1016689 Click image for larger version

Name:	blubird4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1016690 Click image for larger version

Name:	blubird1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1016691 Now we need to get some decent wheels and tires for it. Any good suggestions?
    www.FBthrottlebodies.com
    Bruce K Bridges

Sweet lookin bird!

Comment

ME LIKEY!
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Nice! I'm probably in the minority, but why not some polished up hubcaps? I always liked the ones with the knock-off spinners.

Comment

Wide whites, bullet center caps and maybe a light blue and dark blue fade and highlight on the steel wheels
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I like your suggestions! Weve got the stock "spinner" caps and they are still in pretty good condition. The Bullet center cap idea has me intrigued though. A friend of mine has a 53 Chev with that set up and it looks pretty old school. We are picking it up from the artists this weekend to do the final assembly. Im not much of a car show guy, but I cant wait to take it to its first outing. Don't think it will be ready in time for the Goodguys show here in Delmar though...Now Im wondering what these guys can do to our 62 coupe deville!
            www.FBthrottlebodies.com
            Bruce K Bridges

Comment

The 65-67 Birds are a bit tough to get aftermarket wheels on, because of the chunky K-H front calipers. If you look at the OEM steel wheels, they have a big dish to them to clear the brakes. Many aftermarket wheels in an appropriate size and style for these cars will not fit because they have a fairly shallow mounting pad.

When I got my 66 T-Bird a few years ago, it had chrome reverse wheels (with spacers behind the fronts to clear the brakes) with rusty flat caps.

Swapped the caps out for some bullet caps from Wheel Vintiques, much better IMO: (sorry for crappy cellphone pics)

They were the smaller of the two sizes of the bullet caps, and they just cleared the fender skirts by a bit.

cheers
              Ed
              Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
              07 Mustang GT with some stuff
              88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Those Caps look good! Im thinking that's the way to go on the blue bird. Thanks for the heads up on the caliper interference. Need to dig up some blue door panels somewhere now.
                www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Here is what I was refering to on the steel wheels....

you dont see this often but with the right lug nuts and center caps this type of paint on a plain old steelwheel really pops....
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Sweet bird!!
                    Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Winfield fade wheels... Nice! I just picked up some blue suede pigskin for the armrests and door panels...hope its the right shade!
                      BKB
                      www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                      Bruce K Bridges

Comment

I've always admired lace and paint fade treatments -- don't see them much anymore in these parts. A very distinctive T-Bird, great cruiser I'm sure.
                        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
                          I've always admired lace and paint fade treatments -- don't see them much anymore in these parts. A very distinctive T-Bird, great cruiser I'm sure.
                          Thanks! Ive only got about 6 hours into it so far (carb rebuild, general clean up and brake repairs...) I need to spend some quality time with it this weekend if I can.

www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	pure class right 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	513.9 KB
ID:	1022676 Things never go as quickly as youd like, even slower when you are in a hurry... We thrashed wildly to get the blue suede bird to the Delmar good guys show this weekend... And we didn't make it. We got the rear window popped back in Saturday evening, with more detailing to go. My hands are swollen from the upholstery work with punctures and scrapes on most every finger. I spent way too much time on the reclining passenger seat mechanism ( soo cool Roton unit) and the massive amount of chrome and anodized aluminum trim kept us polishing till late at night. I have "foam lung" from breathing the decayed Dunlopillow seat foam during the recovering. We finally got it road worthy and looking like a complete Thunderbird this afternoon. Its first trip out was completely uneventful other than the pneumatic door lock system decided to start working without our intervention... cool. Heres a few pics of the almost final product. It still needs a new carpet set and the headliner vinyl replaced to be a real looker, but what the heck. We did decide to go with the cool stock hubcaps since they were in such good shape. I think this is the first car that weve actually finished more or less in the time frame that we had more or less planned on...other than missing the show.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	engine compartment 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	1022665 Click image for larger version

Name:	first fill up 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	612.8 KB
ID:	1022666 Click image for larger version

Name:	pure class 3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	513.8 KB
ID:	1022667 Click image for larger version

Name:	pure class right.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	1022668 Click image for larger version

Name:	rearwindow going in.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	533.0 KB
ID:	1022669 Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers seat before.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	1022670 Click image for larger version

Name:	recliner roton.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	489.7 KB
ID:	1022671 Click image for larger version

Name:	recliner old and new.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	1022672 Click image for larger version

Name:	working gages and map.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	528.0 KB
ID:	1022673 Click image for larger version

Name:	overhead console suede.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	1022674
                            Last edited by BKBridges; April 12, 2015, 06:00 PM.
                            www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                            Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Nice, Bruce! Wife #1 had a grandfather who always drove one of these bad boys and I always liked them. The rehabbed seats look GREAT! A bit here and there and it'll be better than new.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X