'83 Dodge D150 Shorty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '83 Dodge D150 Shorty

Pretty excited to embark on this project--A 1983 D150 2wd short bed 318 w/4spd. Best part is that it came from South Carolina into Canada about 5 yrs ago and is really really rust free and solid. Wait--the best part is the seller was asking $2500.00 and I snagged it for $1500.00.

The goal: Build a reliable, fun, good looking, reasonably economical daily driver that I can still haul things and ass with.

Drivetrain requirements: 408 Mopar stroker, EngineQuest heads, 9.0 comp (87 octane compatible) reground Magnum hydro-roller cam 219 @ .050" 112 LSA. Refreshed and bushed A-833 O.D. manual trans, 8 3/4" rear 2.94-3.23 gears

Suspension designed for a semblance of modern handling, with a lowered stance and maximum preservation of comfort. Utilizing van LCA's up front with axle flip and relocated spring hangers in the rear. Sway bars front and back.

The wheel and tire package will be the single most expensive and important component to achieving the stance/look I am after. Here the plan is American Racing Salt Flats (Gray) with MT SR's 29x18.00r15LT rears with a 275/40/17 rubber size up front.

The exterior will receive a 1987 grille, new tailights, roll pan, mini tubbing, sleeker mirrors, and a color change to a charcoal grey of some kind.

The interior will be updated with a recovered bench seat but otherwise left the way it is now. Red

I was originally thinking a healthy 318 or 360 would suffice but life is way more fun with some horsepower/torque. Since I am primarily an engine guy the focus will be on making the most efficient 408 I can. The performance goals will be 470-500 hp 480-510 ft/lbs on 87 octane with no less than 16" idle vacuum. I may have to step up to a more suitable set of cylinder heads but I am willing to test some things with the EQ's first. Whathcoo guys think? J.RobClick image for larger version

Name:	RAM150.JPG
Views:	651
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1018590Click image for larger version

Name:	interior.JPG
Views:	1324
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1018591

Nice truck! A manual trans pretty rare in 2WD versions of those. Keep us informed, please.

Dan

Comment

I certainly will as I plan to be driving this truck by the end of this summer. J.Rob

Comment

I like it! Looks like quite a score.
        Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
        79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Sweet score. Looking forward to further updates on the progress.
          Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

neat pickup... can't wait for updates and progress posts.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

nice truck!
              Anybody remember them in the air force? Dark blue short beds. I spent hours with those.

A daydream was big power, looking forward to seeing outcome.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                neat pickup... can't wait for updates and progress posts.

As soon as the weather gets above freezing the action starts. Actually I just purchased a 20 gal sandblaster and 1000 lbs of blasting media to get the frame/box/anything clean as possible. J.Rob

p.s. I'm also trying to score a set of aluminum large port Commando heads sans guides and seats for the engine build.
                Last edited by RAMM; March 26, 2015, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm having flashbacks to my '85 shorty. Thank you for that. LOLClick image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1019951
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

always loved the body styles of those D150's should be an interesting build.
                    CHECK US OUT AT:
                    www.ridetech.com

Comment

Working...
                    X