No announcement yet.

Thad's 82 z28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm bringing this one back from the dead. When we pulled the motor apart we discovered the cause of the low oil pressure. A main bearing was getting ready to spin. After rebuilding the garage thanks to a little fire. I got it back in the car this last week. i am now just breaking it in and getting it ready to go to power tour with it. See you in detroit.
    Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

i didn't get to power tour, but I did get to take it to the track yesterday. i can't complain too much. Every time we touched the car it went faster.
      Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It does suck going through this over and over again. Looks like you got your car running pretty good now, I would be happy with low 13's at this point. How far did you have to go to fix the bearing issue, was it a complete rebuild or were you able to polish the crank and go?

Comment

Polished the crank, and resized the rods.new h series bearings because I am beating it a little harder than standard bearings should be. I like that they are also more "uniform" i guess. They don't have as much variance in them as stock replacements do.

Comment

If I get lucky that's all I need to do to mine. I still have oil pressure, it is 15psi lower than normal but the motor runs and sounds fine. I never fired it back up after I got it home. We'll see what it looks like once its apart.

Comment

Lets hope it wasn't just the oil pressure gauge dying.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver View Post
                Lets hope it wasn't just the oil pressure gauge dying.
                At this point I would love to tear it apart and find out there is nothing wrong. That would be the cheapest fix possible.

Comment

After not realy doing anything with the car for a while but driving it around the go fast bug bit me again. I had a 5.3 core laying around and it turned into a nitrous kit I wanted to put it on for a while but it wouldn't clear the hood I had on the car. After looking around foer a while I found a new glasstek hood for a song. I put it on and went for a drive. Lesson #1 always make sure the latch works! I found out the hard way when I turned the corner and the hood came up and folded over and smashed the windshield. Damn it! On the good side the hood survived with minor damage, and I had a spare set of hood hinges that replaced the ones that got ruined by my oopsie.
                  As the season is coming to an end here in MI. I decided to take it back to the track for one last outing and to see how the n2o would work.. I got it into the 10's !!!!!!
                  Last edited by 82z; October 21, 2011, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Well santa was here and a trip to racing junk found me with a new set of merlin heads with matching intake!! Next up will be a better short block to make the most use of the new heads.

Comment

OK I haven't posted in this thread in a while so here is the updates on the car. I found a new short block about a month after I bought the heads a friend of a friend put a new motor in his nova and was selling his old short block. It is a 505 Chevy with a forged eagle crank and h beam rods,forged probe pistons and new rings and bearings in the boxes ready to be assembled. I jumped on it because the price was right and it was exactly what I wanted to build if I was buying new.
                      I took the parts to my friends shop and had everything checked out. Everything was perfect and I was eccstatic with the money invested.

Comment

Working...
                      X