Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
    That is exactly how they work, Randall

Neat! Are you able to adapt any kind of aftermarket paper filter to the engine?
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; June 20, 2015, 06:53 AM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'd assume that would be very easy to do actually.
      Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
      1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
      1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

I must say this is probably the coolest thing I've seen in awhile. Thanks for sharing the pics Joel!
        Nick Smithberg
        www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Hey Nick! Are you going to port that head? That's 32 BIG holes!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Hey Nick! Are you going to port that head? That's 32 BIG holes!

Dan
            If Joel asked me to do it I wouldn't say no.
            Nick Smithberg
            www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Joel - Any progress? Please know that we're all sitting on the edge of our seats.

Dan

Comment

Sorry for dropping the ball on this thread, I haven't had time to sit in front of the computer long enuff to download load and organize the pictures. Yup, I'm making progress, but it has been slow. We had hail storms and I'm in roofing, 16 hour work days... but I'll get more up soon.

Comment

Just because someone's roof is leaking isn't a good enough reason not to update us on the progress I mean really, they should know better
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Sorry folks have hail damage but it's cool that they're kind enough to help buy Duesenberg parts. The Boy (Kingsford) is interested in your trade. Almost all he talks about is "Roof, Roof"!

(you may groan now.....)

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; July 8, 2015, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Groan....

Comment

I still cant get over that timing chain! That thing is insane! Definitely a cool car that was way ahead of its time
                        CHECK US OUT AT:
                        www.ridetech.com

Comment

I have an update for you now. After getting the block back from Harkin Machine where the mains got babbited, the block sat for a month while I worked on the Hot Rod. Now I'm back on the Duesey. The block was all oily from the Hone tank at Cedar Machine, so I hit it again with the steamer to clean it up. As soon as I got it dry, it started flash rusting, so I carefully oiled the bores, without oiling anything that needed to get painted. Then I wiped down all the paintable surfaces with phosphoric acid, then lacquer thinner, then painted it with Bill Hirsh paint.

Comment

I deburred the newly babbited mains with a knife.

Comment

On the question of oil filtration, THe Duesenberg J has a system that would have been considered space age in 1929, if the space age had been conceived yet, which it hadn't.

Under the windage tray is a fine screen that all oil returning to the pan has to pass through. Then there is a sump cast into the oil pan to collect oil for the pump pick up. That sump is screened. After the pump, the oil goes trough a full flow cartridge filter, then to the main oil galley. That oil that enters the crank is cleaned via centrifuge, collecting solids in the sludge pockets where they remain until overhaul time.

Oil filter chrome canister visible on right side:

While I was pulling pics from the book, I thought you might like this:

Comment

Looks almost like the big 6 Gold Comet engines in REO trucks, but waaay cooler!
                                And more powerful!
                                The Comet was plain, but big

Comment

Working...
                                X