• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Got some stuff done this weekend:

Oil change
    Greased the front end (newer idler arm appeared to be completely dry)
    Replaced breather & PCV
    Replaced serpentine belt
    Ordered lift struts for the trunk

Completely forgot to look into the passenger window though.

Removed the gas door to look at the possible leaks at the filler neck to tank joint and found this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7633.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1046080

Name:	IMG_7634.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1046079

Leave a comment:

• 1badmonkey
    replied
    nah.... you will have them off the rim anyway to go front wheel to rear wheel... just flip the tire over and put it on the other side. seriously, its off the wheel anyway.

nice car, I have a 3rd gen as well
    <<<<<<<<<<<<
    Last edited by 1badmonkey; July 20, 2015, 11:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Shelty View Post
    ... I was also good on rotating them, again cuz I was broke....
    That reminds me. These tires are almost un-rotatable. The Kuhmos are directional and the front and rear rims are different. So to rotate, I'd have to swap the tires onto the other rims and even then the tires would have to stay on the same side.

Name:	IMG_7585.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	1046073

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

Thanks. I almost let the deal go because of Craigslist paranoia when there was some resistance to taking a cashiers check. Fortunately we worked through it. Plans are to fix some minor stuff including AC and drive it. I'm sure it will snowball at some point but right now it does not need much. We expect it to be a long term hold.

Thanks for the tire review! I figure for what we paid it was hard to go wrong.
    no prob. I want to say I got 35,000+ miles out of those tires. Of course that was when I was broke and in college, so I ran them down past the wear bars... I was also good on rotating them, again cuz I was broke. in the 5 years I owned that car, I never did a burnout in it... not because I didnt want to, I was afraid of breaking something....

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    When my ignition switch was acting up on my mustang I found out that it had never been taken in for the recall Ford was great. I did have to take it to them twice once so the could determine which part to order and once for the stall. As lo g as they have not fixed it already they should fix with out giving you a hard time.

Unless that was GM1 and GM2 is not required to fix GM1's recalls.

Leave a comment:

• corvettedad
    replied
    I am so envious, cool car!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Pretty minor stuff. Many people who buy converts don't realize that changing the top is a standard maintenance issue, like brake pads. Depends on how much it's outdoors but sooner or later it'll need a top. (I've been messing with them since 1963 when Mom got her first one.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Took care of title transfer and plates on Tuesday and drove to work yesterday. Current to do list is as follows:
    • Change Oil
    • Make and extra set of keys
    • Fix gas leak
    • Fix passenger window (doesn't move)
    • Change rear end lube
    • Service Transmission (filter and refill)
    • Change Coolant
    • Fix AC
    • Change brake fluid
    • Remove Viper alarm (This drove us nuts on the way home. It resets automatically every 30 seconds and is extremely loud and very sensitive. I finally figured out how to put it in valet mode once we got home.)
    • Install new top (it came with a new top in a box) old one has issues:

Name:	IMG_7623.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1045454

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    After a short while, the bartender comes up and tells us we are leaking gas. I remember smelling gas after we filled up in Detroit but could not find a leak when we stopped. It seems we have a leak near the top of the tank that is bad enough to cause dripping when totally full and the car is parked on an uphill angle. When I checked the interweb to see if this was common and what the likely causes could be I found that there was a recall back in 1994 that covered issues relating to bad connection of the filler neck to the gas tank.

Thread on thirdgen.org:

Body - Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS..... - 1991-92 Camaro Gas related Recall Information http://www.autorecalls.org/1991/431.shtml http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/67-int/1991/chevrolet/camaro/rs/ In general, the reason so many people dont respond to recalls is because they simply...

pdf of the recall info is a little ways down on this page:

Body - 1991 Camaro Gas Tank Recall. Still honored? - I have a 1991 Canaro RS and anytime the car is started. it reeks of gas. I was taking apart the engine so i could pull it and I noticed the oxygen sensor is broken. is this why it smelt like gas so badly? I want the recall ether way. So is it still honored?

Now according to the info in the threads, this is a safety issue recall and therefore does not expire. I have my local Chevy dealer looking into it for me. They did locate the recall info and confirm that our car falls within the VIN sequences covered. They are currently running it up the chain to figure out how to get it authorized/approved. So, if this is actually my problem, I stand a pretty good chance of getting a free gas tank installed!

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I have killed tires in 10k miles. Back when I enjoyed buy new tires. Now that I am older I have had good luck with used tires off CL. The last two vehicles I put new tires on where sold shortly after :/

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    We drove home Sunday morning. Total miles from Detroit: 670 MPG: 27!! Car ran great. We filled at our local gas station and stopped by the local watering hole for a celebratory drink:

Name:	IMG_7605.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	1045447

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    How often do people buy brand new tired for derby cars? I would have gladly given you the tires. They seemed to hold air just fine. I'm convinced at least one of them would have come apart at sustained high speed though.
    Most don't.. Altho the ones that do, buy skid steer tires, we have used Airplane takeoffs beads are a bear to get on, sidewalls are thick, but the tread area left alot to be desired.. Worked good on asphalt.. More guys are buying new as used are harder to find and mismatched... Hard on axles

Kid bought skid steers for Utah, didn't go. (dirt/sand arena) decided to convert for Forks, too much to do, didn't make it, thus the tires he bought for Forks are getting saved for next year (concrete arena). Now the plan is Canby his "home track". (dirt and horseshit) Canby does not allow skidsteers so he is getting something up..

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    replied
    I've had tires start to look like that after a couple years here in the Az sun....good call on swapping them.

Good looking car, I dont see anything a little TLC cant fix....enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    The kid bought the same tires you did for his derby car.. Brand new gonna get boogered first time out!
    Wish we were closer, I'd buy the take offs! Only need not to go flat..
    I'm thinking of the same for the 57... Maybe..
    How often do people buy brand new tired for derby cars? I would have gladly given you the tires. They seemed to hold air just fine. I'm convinced at least one of them would have come apart at sustained high speed though.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
    Congratulations on the purchase; in this day and age of endless Craigslist nonsense, etc., it's always refreshing to hear about sales where both buyer and seller come away happy. Future plans for it?
    Thanks. I almost let the deal go because of Craigslist paranoia when there was some resistance to taking a cashiers check. Fortunately we worked through it. Plans are to fix some minor stuff including AC and drive it. I'm sure it will snowball at some point but right now it does not need much. We expect it to be a long term hold.

Originally posted by Shelty View Post
    not a bad looking car! you dont see them all too often these days.

you shoudlnt have any problems with those Kuhmos. I had a set of those tires on my old Foxbody and they were not a bad tire, especially for the price.
    Thanks for the tire review! I figure for what we paid it was hard to go wrong.
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; July 16, 2015, 07:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X