• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect day to go topless.
    Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
    1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
    1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

Spent a good part of today working on the Camaro. Step one was looking at the passenger window switch and why the electric release for the top cover was not working. The window switch checked out fine and the top cover and power locks was a fuse. The fuse popped at lease once more during the day so this issue may not be resolved. In checking the fuses, I pulled a wire off the valet switch for the PITA Viper alarm. Rather than fix it we decided to remove the system entirely as we hated it from the start. Here are some pics of the quality install.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7648.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1048974

Name:	IMG_7650.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1048975

Name:	IMG_7651.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	1048976

Name:	IMG_7649.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1048977

Name:	IMG_7653.JPG
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1048978

Name:	IMG_7652.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1048979

Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

No solder was used to attach the Viper to the original car harness. The standard practice for the install was to remove some insulation from the wire on the car harness without cutting the wire. This was nice for removal as all I had to do was pull the wire off and tape it back up. In fact, only one wire was cut and routed through the viper. I had to add a small piece of wire and soldered the connections and we are good to go. No more embarrassing alarms going off when we don't want them too. Anyone want a gently used viper alarm?

Name:	IMG_7660.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	1048982
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

The big black box pictured above was sitting loose on the under dash cover panel. The panel fits much better without it there. I do need 2 more of these clips as well as a new fuse door as the plastic clips on ours are broken.

Name:	IMG_7661.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	1048984
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Next up was the passenger window, which has not moved since we owned it. I checked Orielly's and was surprised to see that the window motor was a stock item for $50 for a new one. I was more surprised when I saw Napa had new ones in stock and on sale for $27. I went to town and picked one up. After fighting the door panel off (window was stuck all the way up) we googled window motor replacement and found these two helpful videos.

This is a short video that may help you in your replacement of the power window motor in your 3rd Gen Camaro of Firebird. Good luck. If you need help getti...

This is a short video that may help you in your replacement of the power window motor in your 3rd Gen Camaro of Firebird. Good luck. If you need help getti...

These suggest a shortcut that allows you to leave the regulator in place and just drill out the rivets that hold the motor in. The price of the shortcut is drilling 2 new holes in the door to access these rivets. We only had to drill 2 small holes to access the rivets and install the screws.

The offending motor:

Name:	IMG_7654.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1048986

That's a big door!

Name:	IMG_7655.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1048987

The 2 holes we drilled:

Name:	IMG_7659.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1048988
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I wasn't sure about drilling holes in the door but for the time and aggravation saved we're sure it was worth it. It took about an hour start to finish. The window works now!

Name:	IMG_7656.JPG
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1048990
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Found this behind the passenger door panel!

Name:	IMG_7662.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	1048994

Attached Files
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Unfortunately, we got confirmation that the heater core has expired. When I went to grab the screws off the floor for the arm rest reinstall my fingers came back slimy wet. We have a good sized puddle on the passenger side floor and the coolant is low by a bit. I picked up the heater core and fan switch today and we should have the Rock Auto order (hoses and T-stat (195 degrees)) on Wednesday. If all goes well we will complete that project Thursday night / Friday morning and be good for weekend cruising!

Anyone have any tips for getting the coolant out of the carpet?
                  Last edited by 74NovaMan; June 2, 2016, 09:37 AM.
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

One thing to be on the lookout for with these Camaros, Firebirds and Corvettes is the VATS system. It has a tendency to fail. So if you get to where it starts intermittently, with no rhyme or reason. I can tell you how to fix it.
                    Arlington, Texarkana, Little Rock, 2013
                    Long Hauler 2014, 2016, 2018
                    Kansas City 2017

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                      Unfortunately, we got confirmation that the heater core has expired. When I went to grab the screws off the floor for the arm rest reinstall my fingers came back slimy wet. We have a good sized puddle on the passenger side floor and the coolant is low by a bit. I picked up the heater core and fan switch today and we should have the Rock Auto order (hoses and T-stat) on Wednesday. If all goes well we will complete that project Thursday night / Friday morning and be good for weekend cruising!

Anyone have any tips for getting the coolant out of the carpet?
                      Chris, I've always had to pull the carpet and wash the snot out of it with the garden hose. It can be a stinker, though, especially the jute backing.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Chris, I've always had to pull the carpet and wash the snot out of it with the garden hose. It can be a stinker, though, especially the jute backing.

Dan
                        Yep. I had to do this twice. Once due to a failed heater core in the Chevelle a couple years back, and once 13-ish years ago with a dually I had that was just nasty from being a lawn mowing crew vehicle.

Saw horses, possibly with 2x4's bridging them to keep the carpet from sagging.

After washing it (I used laundry detergent in a pump up sprayer to douse it first, let it soak a few minutes before blasting it thoroughly to clean/ rinse), I sprayed it with a vinegar solution from the garden sprayer to keep the carpet / jute insulation from getting mildewy as it dried in the sun for a couple days.

Comment

Good thought on the vinegar. I'll try that if I have another one of these.

Dan

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. New carpet was on our list anyway so I will probably clean it in place as best I can and replace it this winter.

I've now got all the parts for the heater core replacement - new core, heater hoses (all 5), radiator hoses, thermostat and fan switch. I need to flush the remaining parts of the system before installing all the new stuff. This basically comes down to the engine and radiator. One of the big reasons I want to do this is that the car currently has orange/red (Dex-Cool) coolant and it apparently had the standard green from the factory. I am planning on using the universal greenish prestone stuff so I should not have compatibility issues going forward but I want to start with a reasonably fresh slate. Here is my plan:
                            • Drain the coolant and remove the radiator hoses
                            • Flush the radiator with plenty of water from the garden hose (I'd like to leave the radiator in place for this)
                            • Remove the thermostat housing and flush the block with the hose
                            • Remove the knock sensor and block plug to drain the remaining water from the block
                            • R&R heater core & hoses
                            • Reassemble remaining and refill coolant
                            Should this be sufficient or am I missing anything?
                            74 Nova Project
                            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

New hose clamps. I don't know how many times to find leaks and people used the old clamps instead of new ones.
                              "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Long overdue update:

Heater core, hoses, thermostat and hoses are replaced. I used the original clamps except the one on the water pump (it had been replaced with a worm gear style so I used a fresh one.) The originals were this type and I wanted to keep the original look.

Name:	Hose Clamp.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1100731

They were also very strong still, so I'm not worried about leaks. Hoses were all original and needed to be replaced (heater hoses were crunchy). The heater core was replaced without removing the upper dash but I did need a helper to guide the new heater core pipes through the firewall. Due to the tight access and the funky clamps the job took the better part of 6 hours. We did this back in August and pretty much just enjoyed driving it for the rest of the season.

74 Nova Project
                                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Working...
                                X