Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    The Camaro is running well but is having a tendency to heat up a bit easily. It appears that the lower temp fan switch I installed years ago is bad. I've sourced a replacement as well as a new wiring pigtail. We'll run the AC (to turn on the fan) until I can get to that project.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    ... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7424.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	1298878

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    It's still stiffer than it was originally, but it does move more normally. The original bushings were still in good shape and I should have left well enough alone. After all that I got new tires and had it aligned. Somewhere in there, I figured out the rear wheel cylinders were leaking so I jumped into that job. Not much to note except that the wheel cylinders are attached with a stupid clip so I wound up taking the backing plates off to remove them. I also did axle seals and fresh 80-90 for the rear end. Old:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7417.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1298876
    New:

Name:	IMG_7421.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1298875

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Overdue update. I installed the new front pads and rotors and with the poly bushings and new struts in place the front end would not move at all when I put all my weight on the front corner. I have to keep reminding myself that this car in a cruiser. So I tore it back apart and put factory style rubber bushings back in. Here are the poly bushings after a couple hundred miles:

Name:	IMG_7409.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1298869

Name:	IMG_7410.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1298870

The new rubber:

Name:	IMG_7412.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1298873

Name:	IMG_7411.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1298871
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    Makes me miss the ol' 87 GTA I had for 14 years . I was just getting ready to restore it before it got too bad when it got hit a totaled.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    The front end went back together last weekend. Not much noteworthy, but I'll mention that the new Energy Suspension bushings are a little thicker than the stock rubber ones. This causes the arm width (measured bushing end to bushing end) to be slightly wider than when it was disassembled. The only way (that I could figure) to get them in was to get one side started enough to get a bolt started in the end of one of the bushings and use the floor jack to encourage the arm into place. The width difference is about 3/8' - 1/2" on 14" and the mount points have some flex. Here is a shot of it back together:

Name:	IMG_7325.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1290727

All the boxes & and a truck driveshaft:

Name:	IMG_7322.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	1290729

Front brakes left to install:

Name:	IMG_7323.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	1290728

Rear brakes and shocks:

Name:	IMG_7324.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	1290730

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Shop Time Maintenance sure beats Embarrassed roadside "Breakdown Overhaul"
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    It came apart nicely. Took just about 2 1/2 hours. Steering and ball joints were OK but getting to the point that I'm glad I ordered the replacements. I also noticed that there was not much pad material left on the brakes so I ordered up new stuff for the front and rear. Drums, rotors, shoes, pads, bearings and seals for just over $200. I am hoping to get started putting it back together this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Last weekend we shuffled cars around and got the Camaro in the shop and tore it apart. I'm focusing on the front so we can get new tires and alignment so we can drive it when the weather turns. I'll probably wait on the rear until I get the truck running.

Name:	IMG_7287.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1290309

Name:	IMG_7288.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1290310

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    So last week I hoped on Rock Auto and ordered up all the suspension and steering bits I could find.

Struts
    Strut Mount
    Ball Joints
    Bushings (Poly front and rear kit)
    Center Link
    Idler Arm
    Tie Rod Ends (4)
    Tie Rod Sleeves
    Shocks

These were Moog , AC Delco and Energy Suspension parts for a grand total of $676.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Beyond that, we have just been driving the car a lot. In the nearly 6 years we have owned it, we have logged over 30,000 miles. Last fall I noticed a strange noise coming from the driver’s front tire. I ignored it for as long as I could, but I eventually caught a glimpse of the cords showing through. When we bought the car, we put tires on it before we even drove it home. The place we got the tires from was one of those that did not offer alignment services so I figured, I’ll just take care of it when I get home. Fast forward 30,000 miles and guess what I didn’t do.

Name:	IMG_7292.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1290306

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    It's been a long time since I posted on this one! Since the last post we took it on another Power Tour and took our son William that time. We made it to 5 stops before William let us know he had had enough. He really seemed to enjoy it for the most part but it was a lot of close quarters for a solid week.

Name:	IMG_0566.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1290304

Name:	IMG_0558.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1290303

Name:	IMG_0570.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1290301

Name:	IMG_0610.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1290302

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Good to see you, Mr. head!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• >>>>head
    replied
    Happy motoring, see you in KC Friday

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    We got some new hardware and installed the bolts head side towards the regulator/motor and used lock washers. Once everything was tight we ground the bolts off flush with the nuts. Access to everything was pretty crappy so it took the better part of 2 hours start to finish. I was too tired to take any after pictures.

It only took an hour to replace the motor on the passenger side because we did it differently. - see post 50-51

Leave a comment:

Working...
X