X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willys / Gladiator mashup

This

plus this

and some 2.5" x 4" .120 wall rectangular tubing equals ??

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Me and a buddy took the V6 out of a Gladiator and put it in his flat fender Willy's ( 47 I think ) , took the 5:16's out and put in 3:50 gear's. Re-arched the springs with a sledge hammer and put bigger tires on it. Willard was born, safe... Not in a million years, but fun
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

You got 2 boys...right.. Getting old enough that they want to be drivers not passengers.. One each? So their girlfriends or buddies can ride with them.. Little safer than your gnarly sand rail?

Comment

Plus you won't feel that bad if one or the other gets wrecked...
        Unlike your rail...right?

Comment

Willard....I like that. And love hearing about re-arching springs with "alternative" methods......people I tell some of our ghetto methods to think I am crazy or full of it.

Comment

I used to weigh 360 (310 now). I would put blocks on the ends of the springs and de-arch them ( we want flat springs in the derby cars)
            Or set them in the reciever of the truck and bend the direction needed..

Comment

Yeah, when we drug the Willy's home it looked like a low rider all the springs were frowns. Had to work with what he had available. First go around we went to far and we couldn't hook them back up so we had to "de-arch" them

Comment

OK you got me sentimental so when I got home from work I dug out one of the few pictures of Willard the early days, early 80's, that's my buddy sitting in the drivers seat and me on back. Good times!

Comment

Dad had a jeep just like Willard!
                  I was 8 and showing off for a friend from school who spent the night...
                  Shifted into 2nd (my first on the fly shift) and turned left and Jumped a 2 ft bank thru the grape row...
                  Got my butt beat with a hacksaw!

Comment

why change the axles, a Pinto 4 cyl and that thing would be a hoot.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      Plus you won't feel that bad if one or the other gets wrecked...
                      Unlike your rail...right?
                      Boys no drivey rail on the street. Gave the oldest a shot in the sand this summer, he still lacks a bit of vertical fortitude to reach the clutch. Its a light switch, flyweight and temperamental, bad mix with young drivers.

Plus I stashed a '72 Nova for him and a '80 Malibu for his brother. They are set, but will have junk boring commuters for them for actual drivers. Remember the scene from Transformers where the mom accuses the dad of being cheap as his son drives off in a cloud of smoke? Yeah, its supposed to be that way.

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                        OK you got me sentimental so when I got home from work I dug out one of the few pictures of Willard the early days, early 80's, that's my buddy sitting in the drivers seat and me on back. Good times!

That picture is simply full of awesome.
                        Last edited by STINEY; September 27, 2015, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          why change the axles, a Pinto 4 cyl and that thing would be a hoot.

I do have a complete 2.0 and a 2.3 on hand.

It came with a Dana 18 with the larger Intermediate shaft, the rear in the Willys seems more centered than offset though. The front axle is definitely swapped in, not sure what it is from, probably later CJ5 with wider spring frame mounts?

Still assessing what I have acquired. I mostly bought the body and title, figured the rest was gravy. Already traded the engine it came with for 2 gallons of Lady Bligh spiced rum to a fellow at work who is building a motorized picnic table and wants to power it with an old flathead.

Engine that was traded this morning.

Good trade.

Was it a Go-Devil or a first cousin of a Go-Devil? Don't know and don't care.....450 pounds of slow to me.

Thinking a 4.3 V6 from an Astro van will bolt right up to the bellhousing currently in the Gladiator, giving me a 4.3/T18a/Dana20 combo to swap into the Willys.

Last edited by STINEY; September 11, 2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

The CJ-2A seeing daylight for the first time in who knows how long. This is how the auction-rats extracted it from the barn haymow. Nobody knows how the PO got it into the haymow. (having had such thoughts myself, I have a pretty good idea how he did it though.)

On the ground and surrounded by what the auction-rats figured should go with it.

Comment

nice score
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X