No announcement yet.

1975 Camino Royale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the B-bodies got panhards, but the A & G platforms didn't.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
      I believe the B-bodies got panhards, but the A & G platforms didn't.
      3 or 4 link is the difference, I believe.. None of th Caprices and Impalas as well as full sized oes had them that we derbied..

Comment

65-70 B bodies had panhards with either the 3 or 4 link set up. 4 link was for F41 heavy duty suspension. The trailing arms are parallel, hence the need for a panhard bar. All of the A bodies had triangulated four link set so a pan hard was not necessary. The panhard has nothing to do with the anti-sway. Just centers the rear diff. Bob, the '71 and up B bodies you derby guys covet had triangulated rear links as well.

73-77 A bodies and Monte Carlos handle great, but many came with a rear sway bar. They are interchangeable. Most every Monte I have seen has them. I snagged one off a '76 Monte and installed it on my '70 Caprice.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'm looking forward to the progress of this build, great story behind the Camino too.
          Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
          1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
          1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
            The panhard has nothing to do with the anti-sway.
            Actually it does have some effect on anti roll. It comes from lateral forces. For instance, if the panhard is fastened to the chassis on the left side and right side of the axle, in a left turn the panhard is going to apply downward forces on the axle forcing it away from the body. The right rear is going to more load on it. Left turn, it will unload the right rear which will let the body fall and level out. Raising and lowering the mounting location on the axle will alter the loads as well as roll center
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Pedantics, Semantics... ok. I (mistakenly) call them all sway bars regardless of whether they are actually an anti-roll bar or whatever. I'm okay with that.

I understand on the Chevelle / El Camino, et al, that the upper trailing arms are installed on an angle, each opposing the other, which centers the rear end under the car and prevents it from shifting side to side.
              The stock rear sway bar locations essentially join the lower trailing arms together... perhaps this could offer some lateral sway control, but I think that is a side effect - that the primary function is to keep the body from rolling when the car is experiencing lateral forces - usually in a turn.

-what a sidetrack!

My point, earlier, about the kits that are available is that they are designed to work together for optimum performance with each other. I could randomly buy springs that are too firm or soft, shocks that are too firm or soft, and sway bars that are too stiff or weak for the other components to work well together.

Comment

Love this generation of the Camino! Nice truck. I'm looking forward to the progress on this project.
                Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewzer55 View Post
                  I'm looking forward to the progress of this build, great story behind the Camino too.
                  Thanks, slow but sure on this build.

Comment

Originally posted by trukluvr View Post
                    Love this generation of the Camino! Nice truck. I'm looking forward to the progress on this project.
                    I agree and I'm amazed that this generation doesn't typically get a lot of love.
                    Last edited by Cammin; September 29, 2015, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cammin View Post

I agree and I'm amazed that this generation doesn't typically get a lot of love.
                      Sadly many consider it the ugliest of the El Caminos. I like the larger size to get my oversized tail into the cab. Plus they ride better than most other generations of the Camino.
                      Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by trukluvr View Post

Sadly many consider it the ugliest of the El Caminos. I like the larger size to get my oversized tail into the cab. Plus they ride better than most other generations of the Camino.
                        That's because they share the front suspension of the Gen2 Camaros as do the '78-'96 B-body cars according to a reputable source. (Savitske) He says their geometry is better than the earlier and later generations but it still has room for improvements.
                        Last edited by 68scott385; October 2, 2015, 02:40 PM.
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I've always had a soft spot for the 73-77 El Caminos...the Battlestar Galactica of the pickup utility line. Good thing I've never come across a decent one for cheap -- wouldn't be able to resist I'm sure. Anyway, Elkys are coolness on the street...fully concur with keeping it daily driveable. May all your rusty bolts break free and your wiring harness be intact!
                          Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Thanks for the info folks. I'm working on the front brake hoses now and I will replace the rear soon. Here's a shot of the damage...

Comment

BRAIDED but I might be biased......I upgrade stuff like that whenever I have to replace/repair it. jmo/

Braided wasn't an option when I did my "A" but was when I did my "B" a couple years ago.
                              Last edited by 68scott385; October 5, 2015, 11:48 PM.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                                BRAIDED but I might be biased......I upgrade stuff like that whenever I have to replace/repair it. jmo/

Braided wasn't an option when I did my "A" but was when I did my "B" a couple years ago.

Cost and availability helped to narrow my decision. I already had the parts (from years ago), so I'm using them for now. It's definitely on the to-do list.

I've never operated a vehicle with braided lines. How noticable is the difference from the driver's seat ?

Comment

Working...
                                X