No announcement yet.

1975 Camino Royale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't noticed any difference between the two but knowing the aged rubber lines are gone makes me feel better.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Finally finished the front brake hose replacement. I found a few items to slow me down: one rusty hard line nut, incorrect key placement on the section that mates to the hard lines, sticky copper shims. The tiny keys (one large and one small) were clocked wrong. It would have fit perfectly if placed in the opposite side of the mounting brace. Some filing took care of that issue. The copper shims were too small to fit onto the caliper bolt, so a little massaging with a file and drill bit took care of business.

Next, I removed the battery tray and discovered a little surface rust. Oh well, I will just add that to the list. Here's the battery I purchased 11 years ago and it still looks brand new. What are the chances I can recharge it and simply use as is?

Painted two wheels flat black to cover the nasty rust, a few days ago. I'll get to the other side this weekend.

Here's to 'slow but sure wins the race'...
      Last edited by Cammin; October 14, 2015, 03:54 PM.

Comment

The battery in Mutt (the race truck) is of who-knows-what vintage. It was in the 300SD when I got it and I'm sure it wasn't new at that time. Still full charge.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          The battery in Mutt (the race truck) is of who-knows-what vintage. It was in the 300SD when I got it and I'm sure it wasn't new at that time. Still full charge.

Dan
          It was never hooked up, so we will just wait and see. I forgot to mention that I replaced the battery cables prior to its shutdown.

Comment

Cleaned and painted the battery tray and underlying wheel well. Up next, I plan to remove the seat and pull up the carpet/sound deadener to get a look at the floor board. I don't have a welder, so I'm considering the use of bonding adhesive with the patch panels. Any experiences to share about this type of repair?

Comment

I did my '88 F150 completely with bonded replacement panels as an experiment. A buddy and old BSer has the truck now and he says it's holding up pretty well though we're in NC and the truck is pretty much just used for dump runs and so on. The hard part is getting the old metal REALLY clean, especially tough if there is any sound deadener or the like on the back side of the panel. I used the Lord Flexor system mostly because the gun was cheaper. The adhesive is pricey and you'll go thru a ton of tips so but a lot of them. Also, buy all the clamps in the world - you'll need them!

I have welding gear but I'd use bonding again if the situation called for it.

Dan

Comment

I finally got the Sonoma battery tray cleaned and painted. El Camino bed panel was removed and I did some minor damage assesment, with more in depth later (along with smuggler box removal) . I got help with the Camino bench seat removal and I plan to remove carpet/sound deadener soon.

Comment

Here's more rust pics and one with light streaming through the rusty holes. I'll be looking for replacement pans this winter, any suggestions for which manufacturer to use or stay away from?

Comment

Any Malibu fitting pans will work... Or is it wagon only pans?

Edit: wagon pans will have the spare tire hump behind the rear wheel on one side
                    Last edited by Deaf Bob; November 17, 2015, 07:42 AM.

Comment

everyone but GM... I like rustrepair.com - their stuff tends to be thicker and US stamped. That said, some fitting is required...
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

http://bangshift.com/general-news/vi...heck-this-out/

What do you think? The Camino already has the right patina...

Comment

Quick update: I will soon have a stock cam / lifter set and an intake manifold. My friend wants to add a slightly lumpy cam to his 350 and the manifold will be upgraded to a chrome piece. A classic 'parts for labor' swap. Yes, I'm keeping the cam safe until install (I'm thinking pipe foam insulation) and notating which lobe each lifter belongs with (18 count egg carton with sharpie numbers?) . All for now...

Comment

When I was in school it was thought best to store them on end. We had a rack to slide cams into while we worked on the engine and that worked great. The rack had fingers that slipped between the front bearing boss and the first lobe. It would be really easy to make a little bracket on the side of your workbench or some such to hold it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              When I was in school it was thought best to store them on end. We had a rack to slide cams into while we worked on the engine and that worked great. The rack had fingers that slipped between the front bearing boss and the first lobe. It would be really easy to make a little bracket on the side of your workbench or some such to hold it.

Dan
                              Nice! Thanks for the tip. Same rational as standing up a crankshaft I suppose.

Comment

It's been a few days since my last update, so here goes:

I've got a cam and lifter set for the Camino now, after helping a friend install a Thumper camshaft in his 350 Chevelle. I made sure to record the location of each lifter so that it will stay with the ramp it was with before.

I've put the Sonoma wheels back on the Camino now, as that I've got a set of rallys with new tires for the Sonoma. The lug nuts from the rally wheel do not work with the Sonoma wheels, when used on the Camino. I tried to use the Sonoma lug nuts, but none of the nuts I tried wanted to start and I thought better of forcing the issue. Thus I've got the Camino on jack stands for now. Any suggestions which lug nuts to use for this situation?

Next on the list is pulling the engine and replacing the wheel cylinders

Comment

Working...
                                X