Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Showing signs of improvement, but Comet and Scotch Brite?

Leave a comment:

• Cammin
    replied
    Long time coming, but finally ready to pull the engine when time allows. Gave it a Comet and Scotch Brite bath yesterday. I'll update when the engine is out.

Leave a comment:

• Cammin
    replied
    Quick update: I've pulled the driveshaft, which I plan to paint and replace the u-joints. I'll be pulling the engine this winter for the rebuild and I plan to have the Camino running by the start of Spring. I'll give updates as the winter progresses.

Leave a comment:

• Cammin
    replied
    Much like life, this project has taken a few turns lately.

The engine I was planning to use is in approximately the same condition as mine, so I'm planning to pull mine and perform a re-ring rebuild; new cam, lifters, springs, gear drive, thinner than stock head gasket to raise compression a bit, etc.

I've been following along with Sloppy Mechanics (http://www.sloppymechanics.com/) since the turn of the year. Next, I found Project Joe Dirt (https://www.theturboforums.com/threa...-Megasquirt-II) and I really like this set up.

So my plan is to rebuild the current short block and start acquiring parts for a 4.8L turbo build...

Leave a comment:

• Cammin
    replied
    Originally posted by Shelty View Post
    shoot id call in a sick day for a free small block
    Unfortunately, I don't have vacation days or sick days available. The day for extraction is coming soon though.....

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    shoot id call in a sick day for a free small block

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Cammin View Post
    Quick update: I've been offered a free, running 350 (fully dressed) if I pull it. So, I'm planning to make the short drive to pick it up within the next month. Will update with photos at that time.
    Affordable!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    I'd make it ASAP!

Leave a comment:

• Cammin
    replied
    Quick update: I've been offered a free, running 350 (fully dressed) if I pull it. So, I'm planning to make the short drive to pick it up within the next month. Will update with photos at that time.

Leave a comment:

• Cammin
    replied
    Finally got black lugs nuts that fit the wheels (thanks for info) and it is now sitting on the ground with 4 tires that hold air, for the first time in many years.

Up next, I will replace the rear wheel cylinders

Leave a comment:

• Cammin
    replied
    PIcked up an iron manifold (3965577) for $10 at a yard sale. What recomendations do you have for removing or covering rust in the intake ports? As always, slow but sure...

Leave a comment:

• Cammin
    replied
    Thanks for the information. Next question for you folks... I pulled the cylinder heads off and found that the driver's side cylinder head gasket was leaking into the #7 cylinder. Surface rust has set up on the bottom of the cylinder wall. Scraping with fingernails didn't pull the rust away. I sprayed it down with WD-40 and plan to pull the engine for further investigation. Any recommendations for removing the pistons without causing too much damage? BTW, no ridge at the cylinder tops.
    Last edited by Cammin; May 25, 2016, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JamesMayberryIII
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I went around on this with both my '78 Camaro and Mutt (an '86 S-10). At some point in there GM switched to metric lugs and I now own a set of SAE nuts that don't work on Mutt 'cause he's metric. And the studs look almost identical. Basically, you'll have to decide if you have SAE or metric studs and get nuts that match. They should either be 7/16" or 10mm assuming they're like mine.

In compliance with LSR rules I'm running 1" (socket size) nuts from Speedway. You probably don't need those big ol' honkers!

Dan
    DAN, IIRC the g.m. lug nut studs are .12mm x 1.50 RH .Conical seat - 60 degree not 10mm..
    Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; May 22, 2016, 04:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    metric nuts don't work on SAE threads. Why don't the rally lug nuts work? simply use the standard acorn lug nuts with the s10 wheels.

What he said. Acorn shaped 7/16th right hand thread lug nuts. Available at any parts store.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I went around on this with both my '78 Camaro and Mutt (an '86 S-10). At some point in there GM switched to metric lugs and I now own a set of SAE nuts that don't work on Mutt 'cause he's metric. And the studs look almost identical. Basically, you'll have to decide if you have SAE or metric studs and get nuts that match. They should either be 7/16" or 10mm assuming they're like mine.

In compliance with LSR rules I'm running 1" (socket size) nuts from Speedway. You probably don't need those big ol' honkers!

Dan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X