1969 Camaro Project Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 Camaro Project Thread

Me and my dad picked up a new project car over the weekend at Rod Run, its a 1969 Camaro. Its got a 396 big block with a M21 4-speed behind it. She needs a good bit of work but that's where the project comes in!

Here's what we are starting with.

The paint is older lacquer and will have to be taken all the way down. The vinyl top is trashed and isn't actually the original style for the car. On a 69, you could see part of the body color above the window, like this photo below.

Unless the roof is just really bad underneath, its not going to get a vinyl top, time will tell.

The plan is to do the car in Cortez Silver with a factory SS hockey check stripe. Similar to this car.

Useless factoid of the day, the car was originally Olympic Gold.

Or like this.

Not a bad color, just not my favorite.

The interior is pretty solid in the car, needs door panels, front seat covers, the back seat is pretty nice, headliner is good, needs a few odds and ends in the dash.

The engine is a 396, the dates show it as an early over the counter warranty exchange crate engine. Been freshly rebuilt with less than 500 miles on it. Obviously the engine bay needs a lot of tlc and clean up work.

So there is the start! Hopefully I can keep this thread pretty updated as it goes along! The car should go to paint within a month, body guy says four weeks, but anyone that has ever been to a paint shop knows four weeks is more like four months. Honestly the goal for the car is to be done by next April.
    2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Nice project. I'm partial to Olympic Gold, the color looks great on those cars. What's the story on the yellow Monte in the background?
    GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Great find! That poor car must have eleventy-twelve coats of paint - it'll probably shrink by a couple of inches once stripped. Hope you can lose the vinyl top - I was never a fan of those on that body style.

Dan

Comment

I wish my projects looked that good when they were done ;)

neat project, the BBC makes it
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by 200kss View Post
          Nice project. I'm partial to Olympic Gold, the color looks great on those cars. What's the story on the yellow Monte in the background?

Thanks! I like the olympic gold, but doing the whole car and color changing it anyway, I'd just rather have something else.
          2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Great find! That poor car must have eleventy-twelve coats of paint - it'll probably shrink by a couple of inches once stripped. Hope you can lose the vinyl top - I was never a fan of those on that body style.

Dan

Yeah its THICK!!!! Someone laid her to it! And then painted it again, and maybe again, and then one more time! Yeah fingers crossed the top can go.

Comment

Originally posted by 200kss View Post

Forgot to reply about the monte, its a 86 SS, t-top car, for sale if your interested!

Comment

Big block, 4 speed, nice!

Comment

A 69 Camaro with three pedals for driving it - can't get much better!

sigpic
                  1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 / 4 speed
                  USAF Retired (1984-2005)

Comment

Never was a huge Camaro fan back in the day, but have to admit Chevy really hit a home run in 1969. With the big block and 4-speed, and the excellent parts availability, you'll have loads of fun during and after the refurbishment. Enjoy!
                    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_4 View Post

Thanks! I like the olympic gold, but doing the whole car and color changing it anyway, I'd just rather have something else.
                      I had a 69 that color, it was bla, so bla all I remember about it is driving it to work.

Comment

If you want to go back to gold and want something with a little more pop, look at GM's 1970 Anniversary Gold.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X