Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo Fun

A new build begins!

My buddy Dick has been hungering for a built crate engine for his Volvo wagon for well over a decade and when I volunteered to head up the installation he decided to pull the trigger. Our connection Scott Liggett at Blueprint Engines let me know that they had a special 347 available with aluminum heads and forged internals - it was left over from a series of special-ordered engines and they could cut us a screamin' deal, which they did. It's now parked in my shop along with the Volvo.

I handed Dick my camera and evidently there was a training issue (poor teacher) and none of today's shots came out. I promise I'll take some fresh pics tomorrow but the neat shots of the baby in it's crate are not going to happen.

I now get to learn about EZ-EFI and decide what we'll do about a scattershield and SFI flywheel as well as bunch of other upgrades and refinements on the old Volvo. He recently had a new B-W 5 speed installed so I think we have enough trans to get it down the road w/o significant failure - 443 HP CAN break some parts.

Just a reminder - here's the "before" shots of the car:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1454.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	1063091

Name:	100_1456.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	1063095

The 5.0, installed years ago

Name:	100_1444.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	1063096

More to come.

Dan

Neat!

He may want to start looking into a Tremec, the T5 and a 347 may not play nice for very long if he's got traction and a heavy foot. Who knows... some folks don't have problems with them, some folks can break them with a stock 302. Those second set of folks could also bust a bowling ball in a sandbox.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

That reminds me.....

Dick would like long tube headers on it if possible. What's on there now looks more or less like factory Mustang tube headers or maybe some aftermarket shorties - we've looked in the paperwork from the original build and while a vendor is mentioned no maker is noted though they seem to be maybe S&S.

So - any leads on block-hugger style long tubes? They'll need to fit really tight on the right side though surprisingly the left seems to clear pretty well even with the steering shaft.

The trans is a Super Tsomethingorother (can't pull that up right now) and was JUST installed. Supposed to be much stouter than the T5. We'll likely go with a scattershield as well as SFI flywheel so he can go racing if the spirit moves him.

Should be a fun build.

Dan

Comment

this is going to be neat. I like these old wagons, and they are awesome with 5.0s in them

I cant think of any long tubes that would really hug the block like you want. Im sure you could modify a set of headers that would fit. or even notch the frame and box it to make some clearance. Though some good shorty headers would be good for it, and not cook the starter. I had some equal length Mac shortys on my old fox and they were a good addition to the car. It would probably be easier to work around everything with the shorties too. the stock headers were not a bad design, just really small tubing.
        Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Long tube headers need to be made to fit the car....the odds of something for another car fitting the Volvo are pretty slim.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Agree ^ ... but if Fox shorties fit, MAC makes a 1 3/4" Fox shorty. At that horsepower level, I would be ditching the 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 stocker type.

Comment

I'm pretty sure what's on the current engine is from S&S which evidently is out of business. A agree that the current tube size is a bit tight for this engine, probably 1 5/8" though I can't get in and measure them yet (too much stuff in the way). My guess is that the (we'll call them) S&S are Fox body - I found a PN in the paperwork but with S&S being gone there's no way to check that PN or even call and ask for info. It would really help to know for sure the application for the existing headers.

I'm not expecting anything to fit right out of the box. I'm guessing I'll start with maybe Fox-body headers in SS and modify them (probably with pie-cuts as I'm imagining it) and weld them back together for a semi-custom fit. Again, the tightest-to-the-block header as made will help here. Wondering if the SN95's are tighter than the Fox style.

BTW - the heads are drilled and tapped for two different header bolt patterns. Why?

Thanks all for your input!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                Long tube headers need to be made to fit the car....the odds of something for another car fitting the Volvo are pretty slim.

block-hugging, slim?!!! you are a punny man, Squirrel.

I agree, also, with the guy who has broken many bowling balls - that T5, without some upgrades, could have some issues because the Volvo is a heavy, heavy car....
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm in love with this thing Dan. I don't know why, but these square Volvos have always seemed cool to me. More the wagons than the rest, but still I can relate to all of them. The wagons though have always seemed right with all the engine swap options. I being the Chevrolet guy would probably roll with an LS, but I'm not going to judge you guyys on that one. This thing is cool. And how much fun would it be leaving the country club and passing some douchebag in his BMW or whatever.

Keep photos coming. Lots of them. I'll be using this one as a blog item on the site.

Chad
                  "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

10-4 Chad! It IS a pretty cool deal (did you notice all 3 pedals?)! I get to have a project on someone else's money! Dick is a good friend and I'm happy to take this one on.

The original swap was done years ago using (mostly) a Ross Converse kit - he's no longer in business. Dick had the swap done for him as he's NOT a mechanic-type guy.

I'll keep you posted.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      I'm pretty sure what's on the current engine is from S&S which evidently is out of business. A agree that the current tube size is a bit tight for this engine, probably 1 5/8" though I can't get in and measure them yet (too much stuff in the way). My guess is that the (we'll call them) S&S are Fox body - I found a PN in the paperwork but with S&S being gone there's no way to check that PN or even call and ask for info. It would really help to know for sure the application for the existing headers.

I'm not expecting anything to fit right out of the box. I'm guessing I'll start with maybe Fox-body headers in SS and modify them (probably with pie-cuts as I'm imagining it) and weld them back together for a semi-custom fit. Again, the tightest-to-the-block header as made will help here. Wondering if the SN95's are tighter than the Fox style.

BTW - the heads are drilled and tapped for two different header bolt patterns. Why?

Thanks all for your input!

Dan
                      from what I've seen, it's for bigger, rounder tube sizes -there's not much meat left on stock flange after a larger port exit is cut and rounder is more CSA. The tubes get into the flange area and have to be necked down terribly to fit a stock bolt flange and not much room to make the port taller. I didn't check on the MAC headers, they may already need the wider pattern. I'm guessing they are side to side wider and not one set diagonal and one set horizontal?

If I had to start with something out of the box, I might be inclined to check with Crites about their return policy and see if their early Falcon long tubes for a Windsor would work. Falcon / early Mustang shock towers are horribly intrusive so the headers have to fit pretty snug.

when you say S&S, my mind goes Harley Davidson immediately, and that sure won't work. Lol. S&S Headers appears to be still in business though. If you want to post up the part number I bet we can find out something about them?
                      Last edited by Beagle; October 13, 2015, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Thanks Beags! I just went out and harvested what I think is the PN - it's 5100. I haven't Googled for it yet.

I called BBK but they didn't seem to have much info to share and the folks at MAC weren't awake yet when I called - I'll try again shortly.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with Tremec and the trans is a World Class T5. It's rated at 300 ft/lb (or lb/ft, take your pick) so we'll have to think about the next step. They have a TKO rated at 500 or 600 depending on the option you choose so that's an possibility. We'll have to mull this over. Better to make that choice now before we get a scattershield.

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; October 13, 2015, 11:59 AM.

Comment

S&S shows up on the site: http://ns1.webincome.com/pickup.htm

The part number 5100 shows the following fitments:
                          FORD
                          23-56 1 5/8" Windsor / Shorty 5100
                          64-73 2x4 1 5/8" Windsor / Shorty 5100
                          Might be worth a phone call to see if they're still open?

It _may_ live with a T5 if he's reasonably careful and doesn't miss third on a full throttle upshift (ever). Slicks and 5000 rpm clutch drops in first, I'm not so hopeful for it.

Good call on the bell. TKO should use a Toploader or SROD style bellhousing if he's got a cable clutch like a Fox does. The clutch spline count is different as well as the output shaft.

If he grenades the T5, G-Force has all kinds upgrades for it. Tough call.

Comment

That S&S phone number is NOT valid - it rings to "Home and Family Services" or something like that. Still it's great to know the original application so I have a place to start digging. So big Ford small block sounds like a starting point. Any opinions on tri-ys? Doug's makes some tri-y's for Falcons, Fairlanes, and Galaxies that seem like possibilities. I just don't have a handle on how they impact power. Gotta be better than the shorties anyhow.

I don't see any slicks in the Volvo's future - but a slight possibility of drag radials. It's more likely to run LSR so burnouts shouldn't be too big a deal except on the public highways. The little tars (NC) on there won't put up much of a fight for sure.

It does use a cable clutch that seems to be reasonably smooth though I think I might need to add a zerk to the cross shaft as it's currently a bit noisy.

Please keep the ideas coming. We want to make it a really nice car.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              S&S shows up on the site: http://ns1.webincome.com/pickup.htm

The part number 5100 shows the following fitments:
                              FORD
                              23-56 1 5/8" Windsor / Shorty 5100
                              64-73 2x4 1 5/8" Windsor / Shorty 5100
                              Might be worth a phone call to see if they're still open?

It _may_ live with a T5 if he's reasonably careful and doesn't miss third on a full throttle upshift (ever). Slicks and 5000 rpm clutch drops in first, I'm not so hopeful for it.

Good call on the bell. TKO should use a Toploader or SROD style bellhousing if he's got a cable clutch like a Fox does. The clutch spline count is different as well as the output shaft.

If he grenades the T5, G-Force has all kinds upgrades for it. Tough call.
                              I have seen those go Kaboom! with stock Z/28's.

Dan, the trans will live if doesn't try to shift like Grumpy Jenkins.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X