Volvo Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on topic.......

Got a LITTLE bit done today, mostly chasing parts.

Pics of the new valve covers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1237.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	1069007

Sorry for the fuzzy pic. Maybe this will be better. I blew a few on Dick's $$ and popped for a new T-stat housing. Looks much better.

Name:	IMG_1238.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	1069008
    I like the new Chinese (Chisulumium?) covers. They look decent and seem to fit perfectly - and not even supposed to have any moving parts which they don't. I also ordered up the good Fe-Pro blue gaskets which seem groovy (hope they seal).

Dan

Comment

• Sorry, Dan, but no one makes valve covers in the US anymore.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• OK, who taken bets on how long that Dana 30 is going to last with 443 hp?
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• wow - I'm way behind - I don't know if headers are still being discussed - hm... I don't know if tri-Y would give that big engine enough breathing room, but they fit just about anything. I have Hedman 88300 I think - but - a friend noticed that mine are quite a bit different than his - which are new - mine are probably at least 20 years old. I had to pie cut mine down on the collectors to spread them apart enough to fit around the AOD. Most SBF headers point both collectors toward the trans tunnel which works with a C4 and most manual trans.

I have a lot of catching up to do - I've missed this place!
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Remember DF's recent stats on terribly smashed header tubes vs perfectly round ones? almost no difference.

IF this guy is going to baby this thing and not beat the cheese wiz out of it - why bother with bigger headers when you already have the full exhaust that works now?
            OR - get another set of shorties for a mustang (like the ones he has now) with bigger tubes... I know I know I'm thinking like an engineer again.
            GO ahead and build a set of stainless headers from scratch and use the plastic piece kit to mock them up - then we can all share it sending it from guy to guy as we build headers... LOL
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Still gathering info on headers so the input is appreciated. John - sounds like your triYs are working OK for you - I'll look at their website. It's interesting that the bottleneck in the Volvo isn't so much the engine bay as it is the body mounts at the rear of the bay (check the engine out pics). If the pipes drop down between the 3rd. and 4th. cylinders on either side I think they'll likely clear but if they drop at the back of the header not so much.

Dick has gotten comfortable with the idea of shorties but we really think they need bigger tubes. Also, if the flanges are thick enough we can get them angle milled which might help, depending on the header design. Some designs may benefit by swinging them in away from those body mounts and that's where the angle milling would come in. I'd like SS headers as I can modify them if needed whereas coated headers would be a horror show - and they'd have to be recoated when finally fit to the car. Naked headers might be OK and then we could send them out for coating but I think the SS would at that point be cheaper.

Now here's a question - how do you know if the headers are drilled for the wider bolt pattern (the heads have both bolt patterns). Seems like the wider pattern would make the world a better place (and the bolts would be much easier to get in) but I haven't seen any header companies advertising their bolt spacing.

Guys - I REALLY value your input on this project. Dick wants this to be a really nice final product and does not require that everything be done on a shoestring. Still, we can't waste money going down blind alleys so you guy's experiences help a lot. John - I need you!! Please stay in touch if you can.

Dan

Comment

• Dan can you post some more detailed pictures of the engine bay? With the lighting and angle it's a little hard to see everything. Does the rear body mount protrude farther into the engine bay then the frame rails by the motor mounts?

On a lot of early Ford unibodys are pretty similar. They're rear steer. The steering box looks like it's taking up about the same space as the Volvo mount. When I get home this weekend I'll try to take a couple pictures of the header with some sort of reference points if that's helpfull. The Fox body cars have a wider engine bay then my 66 does.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Thanks Tom. I'll take more pics this afternoon and post 'em up.

Dan

Comment

• More engine bay pics:

I took these as straight on to the motor mounts as I could.

Name:	IMG_1239.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	1069195

Name:	IMG_1240.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	1069196

Taken from the mezzanine with the zoom in hopes of getting a better overview.

Name:	IMG_1244.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	1069197

What I thought was a body mount, isn't. There is, however, the mount for the lower control arm and lump in the floor pan that makes up the start of the trans tunnel. If I beat in the tunnel it wouldn't do much good as the LCA is right there anyhow. Besides, the goal is to keep the body unmolested and fit the engine to the body. The engine does fit nicely with the headers being pretty much the only iffy point.

Thanks again for whatever light you can shed.

Dan

Comment

• even from the mezzanine it's a Volvo.... you're welcome
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• PHTttttttt!!!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          PHTttttttt!!!

Dan
                          He's just jealous.

Probably because Volvo drivers around here are extreme tree huggers who have that fuzzy dreds that white people have..
                          Some of the dumbestshits drive Volvos in Seattle.. Greenpeace type of idiots, so you gotta excuse him..

Comment

• I think I have a set of cast iron exhaust manifolds that may work, lol. Seriously I think you may have a fair shot with either the 5.0 or vintage header working. Looking at the pictures I think the bay is certainly wide enough for the 5.0 style to work and they should work well with the T5 set up. The vintage style have to contend with narrow shock towers and steering gear so it'll fit fine in the Volvo's engine bay. With either header the unknown is the rear control arm mount. I think it'll clear in either case I think it'll be close.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• S&S Headers put me onto a guy names Stan Johnson at Ford Powertrain Applications in Washington state. He makes specialty Ford headers for a number of apps - he's your FE header guy and offers other bits as well. I have a call in to him so we'll see what comes of that. High probability that if anyone knows he'll know what is a fit for this chassis. He also offers headers in SS and will also custom make headers if necessary. So I'm hoping for a call back.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                                S&S Headers put me onto a guy names Stan Johnson at Ford Powertrain Applications in Washington state. He makes specialty Ford headers for a number of apps - he's your FE header guy and offers other bits as well. I have a call in to him so we'll see what comes of that. High probability that if anyone knows he'll know what is a fit for this chassis. He also offers headers in SS and will also custom make headers if necessary. So I'm hoping for a call back.

Dan

If Stan takes this on I think you'll be pleased with the result. He builds quality product.
                                Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Working...
                                X