Volvo Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Dan go!

i love seeing stuff gas welded, as that is what Grandpa first taught me - tight fit and puddle it together with no filler, unless you really really needed it. As a dumb kid it was years before realizing what he really taught me.

I use lots more filler rod most times nowadays than Grandpa would approve of, but I smile when I do.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Finished welding the tank today. I'll let it cool 'till tomorrow then leak check, fix any leaks, and then off to have the welded area media blasted so I can get a good overbraze. Then back to Area 51 for powder coat, an application of RedKote as an internal sealer (fingers crossed on that one), fit the Walbro in-tank pump, and bolt in the whole deal. Always more to do......

No pics today as it looks just like what I posted yesterday.

Dan

Comment

• How are you extending the pickup to the new bottom of the tank?
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

• The new Walbro pump is longer than the Volvo (probably Bosch) pump and if it still sits too high in the tank I'll just extend the arms that hold the pump. My bigger worry is getting the fuel gage to work correctly but I thing I can extend the float arm. I haven't pulled the old tank and fuel assembly yet so I'm not quite sure.

Stay tuned.....

Dan

Comment

• Progress today. I rewelded all the seems over the past few weeks when I wasn't tied up on something else and today I finally caulked the seams with brass. I think it's good but I'll take it to Area 51 (the powder coaters) and get the seams blasted again to remove all the slag then fill w/H2O and leak check. If everything is OK then I can fit the internal stuff (Walbro pump and Volvo fuel level sender) and get the tank coated. I'll need to rewire the sender and the pump, remove the piggy-back in-line pump, replumb as needed, and fire that mother up.

Tank w/brass caulk in place:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2142.jpg Views:	0 Size:	293.6 KB ID:	1260191

Oops - that's a fuzzier pic than I wanted......

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; January 16, 2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• No pics but I sent the tank off to powder coat yesterday. Closing in on making this work.

Dan

Comment

• Today I crossed one of the nasty jobs off my list. I knew I was facing draining the tank and, as usual, I was going to end up with gas in my armpits. I did.

A bit of history: The Volvo had been running but stopped when the fuel pumps (maybe all of 'em) failed while Dick was driving the car. It eventually got towed here and I started working on making the bigger tank as noted above. Anyhow, the intank pump wasn't available to pump out the tank as it was among the dead - bad. The good news was that there IS a drain in the bottom of Volvo tanks (at least this one). So some time ago I took the drain plug from the new tank to our Parker-Hannifin store and found a fitting that screwed into the drain on the new tank. I also got a ball valve and bits so that I'd have a shut off on the drain and therefore control of the discharge from the tank. So out comes the drain plug from the old tank and in goes the valve arrangement - but the fitting into the tank drain bung is just a TAD too small. So here I am with fuel running out on my shop floor. I thought to have a 5 gallon bucket nearby and slid it under the tank to catch the stream of gas and let it run.

Two and a half fills of the 5 gallon bucket later we finally ran out of fuel. The only solution seemed to be screwing the plug back in when the 5 gallon bucket got full (hence the fuel in the armpit), drain the 5 gallons into Dick's waiting Toyota, and repeat. Anyhow, it's DONE and glad for it.

I decided to hang it up for today and let the shop air out as I washed me and my clothes to get rid of the gas. Tomorrow the plan is to start the process of sealing the tank to assure zero leaks.

Dan

Comment

• Tank progress:
                  The extra deep tank is sealed, powder coated, and has the Red Kote sealer inside. I'll do one more leak check with water before I bolt it in.

The old tank is out and on the floor, Pretty straightforward except the metal part of the filler neck on these cars (at least on the wagons) extends about 6 or 7 inches into the tank and you have tho slide the tank off that sucker - which penetrates the tank at about a 45* angle (I'll post a pic of this weird setup). The pics of the sedans that I've seen online look to be simpler.

Anyhow, I'm now extending the in-tank stuff to work with the deeper tank. Here's a couple of pics of this:

Stock intank unit. The level sensor would be totally inaccurate in the deep tank,

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG950051.jpg Views:	3 Size:	210.4 KB ID:	1264454

And the extended level sensor and the Walbro intank pump in place. Interesting note (some of you may know this but for those who don't): There is fuel line made to be constantly immersed in fuel - this is NOT the run-of-the-mill parts store fuel line. It's $1.75/inch at Advance! Worth it this connection.

The level sensor extension is brass model airplane fuel tubing with a 0.095ID - just happened to be right for this application. I soldered it to the OEM piece with acid-free solder and it seems to work OK. I tried to twist it with gusto and it didn't.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG950055.jpg Views:	3 Size:	323.5 KB ID:	1264455

I still have to wire it up but we're on our way. I'll eliminate the pump on the chassis and run just the Walbro - should support this HP with room to spare.

Are these pics OK? I'm using my new iPhone 11 and wondering if they're looking OK on your end - they look fine on my screen.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; March 9, 2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    Are these pics OK. I'm using my new iPhone 11 and wondering if they're looking OK on your end - they look fine on my screen.

Dan
                    Pics look great to me. Nice progress.
                    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                    79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Looks great up here in Indianapolis !
                      Last edited by Dan Barlow; March 9, 2020, 08:17 AM.
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback on the pics. You see folks apologizing for cell phone pics so I wasn't sure. Had to give up my flip phone 'cause the kids text a lot and I was being left out. As long as I have this monster I might as well use as much of it as I can stand.

Dan

Comment

• Inneed to learn to do that . All I get is thumb nails .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Pic of my cub cadet taking a nap for reference .
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Good to see the Siamese tank come together!
                              Last edited by MP&C; March 9, 2020, 10:44 AM.
                              Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Originally posted by MP&C View Post
                                Good to see the Siamese tank come together!
                                Thanks! Not as pretty as you would have done it but functional.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X