Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let see what will be happen ....

Comment

• I'd have posted more sooner but I had to redo some pics. Still getting used to the phone camera.

I did one more leak check following the tank lining and all was well - nothing to photograph there. I let it air dry for several days to be sure the water was gone.

The last pics I posted showed the pump in place and partially hooked up. Since then I wired the power and ground and prepped the tank unit for installation. Sadly I didn't get a pic of that but now it's together and ready to install.

Earlier today I checked the new Walbro to be sure it pumps properly and that the wiring works. I should have taken a pic of that but failed (ashamed emoji). I used a small bucket (I have a bunch of old movie popcorn buckets) with about 4" of Diesel fuel (safer than gasoline) then put the pump in and wired it to a battery. It worked fine so I have some confidence in that arrangement.

So here's the tank unit back in the tank and locked into place. The red lettering is to remind me which tube goes to which line. Plan to install it tomorrow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG950067.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.8 KB ID:	1265573

And the pic that I didn't take for the last post. This is the weird fill tube that Volvo decided to run to near the bottom of the tank. As shown here it's pushed out about 4" or so and even so the tank has to be worked up and over the fill tube. The hole in the quarter panel is pretty snug and doesn't allow much wiggle room to manipulate the fill tube. I think I can slide it in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG950066.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.0 KB ID:	1265574

Note the severed exhaust pipe. I'll have to rework that length of pipe to clear the new deeper tank and I had to cut it just to get the old tank out. I think the other side will clear OK but we'll see what happens when the new tank is in place. I like a challenge.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; March 21, 2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• I mentioned in the last post that I had forgotten to take a pic of the completed tank unit before installation in the tank. As fate would have it I had to pull it back out so here's the pic I was missing:
        Note that the inlet filter is tiewrapped on (the reason for the recent removal) and that all wires are tiewrapped. How did we live before tiewraps?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1265891

And the tank installed! The inlet pipe is in place and the wiring is thru the floor but nothing is hooked up yet. The exhaust will also need modifications. I will, of course, keep plugging away at it.

Name:	IMG950071.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	1265892
        Dan

Comment

• Still pluggin' away at it.

As noted in the last post the new deep tank is in. Now for the next chapter.

The inline pump is gone but I retained the nifty in-line filter. Not sure if I'll go with this loop as the bracket or make something but it's in place at least for now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG950079.jpg Views:	0 Size:	367.4 KB ID:	1267371

And the lines coming out of the tank. I double clamped the outlet line which will have pump pressure on it but I might pull the hose and crimp on a ferrule so it'll have a positive restraint on that hose. That steel outlet line doesn't have a little hump at the end (I cut it off for the previous configuration) and it worries me even with the double clamps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG950078.jpg Views:	0 Size:	354.0 KB ID:	1267372

So as always, more to do.

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; April 8, 2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Seems like I'm taking baby steps here but at least they're steps.

As mentioned in the last post, a couple of things bugged me so here's the fixes.

Fix the fuel line attachment. I'm not a fan of cheap compression fittings in a fuel system so this one is a Parker Hannifin from our local Parker store. Should be fine but I will, of course, keep and eye on it. It has an actual hose barb and the ferrule to keep it on the tube. The red wire is fuel pump power to the pump. I ran it out of that area and made the spade connection inside the car so it won't be in the weather.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0089.jpg Views:	33 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1268041
            And the bracket for the fuel filter. The round black thing has a spring loaded filter element in it so it prefilters the fuel before it hits the rest of the system. Seemed like that was worth keeping.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0090.jpg Views:	31 Size:	802.0 KB ID:	1268042
            I also spent some time working out why the pump power line had no power. If I add a ground it switches the the fuel pump relay on with the key which puts 12VDC to the pump. Evidently the EZ-EFI computer isn't grounding that relay with a key on/no start condition. This, of course, means that there will never be a key on/start condition. At least for now I grounded that leg and we'll track that down - maybe there's a bad sensor input to the computer or some such. Time to call F.A.S.T. again.

I think I just need to add fuel and see if it'll fire up. Maybe tomorrow. I've started working on the exhaust, hence the hangin' chain Vice Grip. Wish I could get another pair of hands in the shop - maybe soon......

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; April 19, 2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• I know nothing about F.A.S.T. my Holley Terminator X outputs a 12V+ for the fuel pump the ground is. Chassis ground.

When things get back to normal. We need to set up a drag strip TnT. It would be nice to see what the wagon will do. It would be good to see Mutt on the short course the Stang?
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Check for a Rollover protection switch. It should have a reset button. The one on my Ford van is behind the right "Kick panel" by the toe board.

Comment

• No clue on this setup but it's a good thought.

Dan

Comment

• I'm Exhausted! (C'mon - you were going to say it if I didn't)

The exhaust is rerouted to clear the tank. The left side was pretty decent and only required lowering it a bit. The right side was another matter. I switched the MIG over to SS (SS wire and an argon gs bottle) and started chopping and reworking the tail pipe.

First the finished shot to give an idea of how it all fits together.

Name:	IMG950097-1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1268655

And then:

Name:	IMG950095.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1268656

And:

Name:	IMG950096.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1268657

I'll wrap the pipes with heat wrap where they pass the tank. Otherwise there's the possibility of boiling the fuel. There just was no other place to run those pipes. Getting the tips to align was more hassle than one might think but I got them to look decent. I wish the welds were prettier but with my eyesight I have to weld in spots or I can't tell where the weld is going. It's plenty strong as as leak-free as necessary (I think) but not pretty. I knocked the tops off the bigger lumps with the grinder. I thought of running over the welds with oxy-acetylene but haven't tried that on SS.

Dan

Comment

• Volvo is ready to hit the road!

I wrapped the pipes and that looks decent. I use hose clamps to keep the wrap in place and it works well. I've done that in other places on the Volvo and also on Mutt with great success.

Then I added 5 gallons of fuel and reinstalled the RR tire/wheel and torqued it down. No issue there. Then I turned the key on and had no issues. The new Walbro in-tank pump is WAY quieter than the old external pump so that's a bonus. No leaks in the fuel system. Turned the key to START and as soon as fuel got to the EFI it fired right up and ran like a champ. I let it run a while and set the fuel pressure to spec (43 PSI) as it was just a little lower, maybe 38 or so. So it's running and seems to be ready to go home.

I got F.A.S.T. on the phone and asked about the open where there should have been a ground. They basically said "I dunno" but assured me that I can leave my jumper on there without issue so that's what I'm going to do. The pump power thru that relay is switched so power is killed when the key's off so there shouldn't be any problem there. Basically this is why the car was parked in the first place and if I hadn't had so much health stuff going on I could have had it back to him some time ago but then he wouldn't have the big fuel tank and the internal pump both of which are good things.

No pics as there really isn't much to look at but it IS a big day!

Dan
                      Last edited by DanStokes; April 29, 2020, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• Congratulations Dan, it's been a long and winding road, but you got there. Now tell me more about that silver scooter in the last pic .. the styling just screams the 60's, my favorite design era.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster View Post
                          Congratulations Dan, it's been a long and winding road, but you got there. Now tell me more about that silver scooter in the last pic .. the styling just screams the 60's, my favorite design era.
                          It's a cheapie Chinese thing called a "Twist & Go". That's the brand name! Just a GY6, 150cc. It'll go to my young helper when the Covid stuff winds down as he's in love with it. I had it to exercise Kingsford and now that he's gone I really have no use for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            It's a cheapie Chinese thing called a "Twist & Go". That's the brand name! Just a GY6, 150cc.
                            Interesting, never heard of it before.

Comment

• There are a million Chinese makers of GY6 scooters - the drive train design was stolen from Honda years ago. They can shape the plastic any way they can think old and mine happens to be sorta Vespa-like.

Dan

Comment

• Big day. Dick drove it home. Well, actually he drove it to a Volvo independent shop here in town to see if they can tighten up the steering as it has more freeplay than he'd like. It IS R&P so you would think it would be tight.

He filled the tank and it showed 3/4. Not sure what's up with that. There may be a way to calibrate that but I thought I had the stroke of the float about right. That's what I get for thinking. Other than that it seems to run better than ever and I wonder if it was starving for fuel with the first fuel pump setup.

Dan
                                Last edited by DanStokes; May 1, 2020, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X