Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

damn thats bad. looks like they never changed the oil in it..... ever
    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Originally posted by Shelty View Post
      damn thats bad. looks like they never changed the oil in it..... ever
      Parifin based oils like PENNZOIL!
      My mom had a 79- 5.0 Cougar she loved Drove it 45 miles one way, freeway driving 5 days a week, 35 country roads on weekends the life of the car, Dad demanded Pennzoil.. Looked just like that! Regular oil changes and all that..

Comment

Ive never used Pennzoil... and I never will

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

awful stuff, but if you want a great fight with a troll; say Pennzoil is crap on Corvette Forum. There's a guy who claims he's an oil engineer for Pennzoil (he's not, but I admire his tenacity to stick to his lie) that thinks the world lives only because of Pennzcrap. Quacker state isn't much better.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            awful stuff, but if you want a great fight with a troll; say Pennzoil is crap on Corvette Forum. There's a guy who claims he's an oil engineer for Pennzoil (he's not, but I admire his tenacity to stick to his lie) that thinks the world lives only because of Pennzcrap. Quacker state isn't much better.
            last time I got oil, which was for the wagon, I bought the Autozone store brand.... last oil change for the Mustang I used Castrol.... because it was on sale.....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              Either of those oils are far superior to no oil. I hear the same things about K&N filters and they're better than no air filter. I'm surprised nobody picked a fight with Tom over the resistor in parallel formula as I suspect that might start a lively "discussion" on some electronics forums. Grin.

OPINION, worth exactly what it costs: I've got mixed emotions about any effort to dislodge the cakey brown crap slugde. I don't want it wandering through oil passages and grinding it's way past bearing surfaces. I think the way to clean it is a hot tank during a rebuild. The stuff that makes the soft deposits turn loose is not going to remove the hard black crap that gets burned / infused onto whatever parts. I tend to believe the engine has seen plenty of really short trips, and been pretty hot at more than one point in it's life for the oil and dirt to make itself part of the casting. I've seen a LOT worse. I'd change the oil and drive it until it bangs.

I can't help but look at a 2.5 and wonder about a 140 hp GM 3.0 from a boat as the replacement candidate. They lead a cleaner life and it's rare that a boat doesn't get run up to operating temperature so it can burn off junk in the crankcase.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Well, the engine's resident gunk issue will have to work itself out in time. I've been distracted, which is what projects are for.

Craigslist turned up a sad little gem. Sad because someone was scrapping a 1985 Fiero GT with a blown engine. Gem because I bought a bunch of great stuff off of him for $200. What did I get for that you ask? Amongst a few other loose goods, I scored these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	8162479E-3299-497A-B078-21C4B25CDA04_zpslag3ytlc.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	1068462

Yeah, that's right, alloy rims and a new wing (need for wing replacement seen clearly). Pretty stoked about the rims. The tires are wider, and they look dashing. Not in pristeen condition, but that's rather the point of this build.

Aside from ripping out some of the more moldy items inside the cabin, I also scored a new clutch slave cylinder on Ebay (mine was rusted solid). I hope the master cylinder is in good shape so I can get the clutch working finally. It would kinda suck to get it started and not be able to take it for a spin around the block.

And for fun, here's the FieroRunner:

Name:	EE32725C-189F-4557-A3AE-749D46D2574D_zpsc6mwrzig.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	1068463

2 Dope Yo
                Attached Files

Comment

lol@ hauling method.... it's why I have a trailer
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Good score! All mine had those rims. I always liked them.
                    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                    79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Busy week with things not-wrench-related. But I still managed to get a few things done. Namely, I pulled that cracked-up rear wing, chopped it to bits, and threw it in the bin. I felt a little bad about doing such a thing, seeing as they will never make one of those body panels again in the history of mankind. But hey, we destroy irreplaceable things all the time on this planet, and sadly,

most of them are human beings.

On a lighter note, I noticed my fender was cracked, so I did some drift-stitching on it. Yeah!

Name:	390DF671-E843-4282-A9E5-3EF9C20D4B29_zpsserdbwdi.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	1069509

Afterward I gooped some caulk over the crack to keep water out. I have some rust on the body on this side only, and I think trapped water was to blame. That and three decades.

One of the two linkages going back to my gear selector was completely shot (see rusty metal thing in the middle of the pic), so I fabbed up a replacement/MacGuyver with a carriage bolt, a piece of .303 shell casing, and some loose hardware. A 3/8" carriage bolt has a square shoulder on it almost identical to the stock one, which is important so the piece doesn't unscrew itself over 1000 shifts.

Name:	63DB4DB2-16F3-40BB-9F11-7F5BDAC29DBC_zpsfagtmr2o.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	1069510

I drilled out the back of the 'cup' for the old ball (see top of photo) and simply passed the brass ".303" sleeve through it with some lithium grease for added measure. This particular shift linkage only sees movement in one axis, so the original ball design was a bit overkill. The tapered shape of the .303 shell keeps the cup from sliding back and forth too much as well. Splendid!

Name:	C6A4F0B2-B2BD-476E-AB8D-939426D8CE40_zpsslhorxrt.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	1069511

The above pic shows the new assembly installed, with bolt cut off to a more sensible length. I more-or-less copied this design from a 'repair kit' sold by the Fiero Parts Store. Theirs was a little more fancy, but mine was a little more free. Free wins.

The steering wheel redux is almost done, so stay tuned!

Thanks for watching.

Comment

Splendid!
                        As the English kids say nowadays, "Brilliant, yeah?"

Comment

Well, the .303 is a British round...
                          Attached Files

Comment

pretty impressive.

even more so that you had a .303 lying around lol. I cant find that ammo for my 1942 Enfield to save my life. one of the best shooting guns I own, just so hard to find the ammo for it in the people's republic of maryland

Comment

Rareammo.com usually has pretty good prices on harder to find stuff. Can you get ammo through the mail? I know you can in most states, but the Northeast and PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia) are a whole different world.

And now back you your regularly scheduled thread

Comment

Originally posted by Shelty View Post
                                pretty impressive.

even more so that you had a .303 lying around lol. I cant find that ammo for my 1942 Enfield to save my life. one of the best shooting guns I own, just so hard to find the ammo for it in the people's republic of maryland

Nice reuse of shell! I've used old brass to cut gasket holes... some days hoarding pays off.
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X