Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrel
    replied
    I sold the truck today....at least, not at a loss. It was a fun toy, but needed a bit too much for me to keep it, when it's just a Ford New owner plans to spend some money on it, which is nice to see.

Leave a comment:

• yellomalibu
    replied
    I helped my brother change out the oil pump in his 80's {?) Thunderbird. The front sump/ front oil pump made it lots of fun ... especially in his dirt driveway.

He bought the car used. Very used. The engine was pretty grimy inside, so he ran Marvel through it. It loosened up enough gunk to clog the oil pump pickup. I learned from that. I still use Marvel to "clean" the inside of an old engine, but initially, I'll put it in a couple hours before an oil change... and change the oil (high detergent oil) more frequently than recommended. A year or so later, I'll put the Marvel in a day or two before an oil change. After a few years, the 305 in my 84 C10 looks acceptably clean inside the valve covers.
    Last edited by yellomalibu; November 1, 2015, 06:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    It has a C6. originally had a T19 four speed, but got swapped to make driving more fun.

Leave a comment:

• Stewzer55
    replied
    Looking good, what is backing the 400?

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    two piece seal. Yeah.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    "Flipping Flibberty Ferds"?

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Is that a two piece rear main seal?

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    F-words, "Ffffooord"

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    I did some work under the truck, jacked up the engine, dropped the pan, put in a new rear main seal. The old one was kind of hard and inflexible. Replaced the motor mounts while I was in there. And I meant to replace the trans cooler lines, but I ran out of steam. Went for a test drive, but I have to give it some time to let the drips find the floor, if there are any. you never know.

Sure is a pita getting the pan off these things. The distributor sits right above the crossmember, so the oil pump is right above the crossmember too...the engine can go up about an inch, the pan can drop almost two inches after raising the engine. Then you get to remove the pump while the pan is still loosely on the engine, and drop it into the pan, then pull the whole mess out. The fun part of course is getting the pump back in while it's in the pan, and getting the oil pump drive shaft lined up, etc. took a while, and I go to use some swear words that I hadn't used for quite a while.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    I don't think it's anything other than a stock rebuild. Doesn't ping on 87, runs pretty good. Has an oil leak, and a tapping valvetrain sound I need to tinker with.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Do you know if he increased the compression when it was rebuilt?

Leave a comment:

• trukluvr
    replied
    Nice truck! Love the older F-series.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I have always wanted to copy this build and put it in my tbird

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-engine-build/
    neat build article. That's how I like to build an engine...keep it mostly stock, cam it appropriately, and have fun.

Leave a comment:

• MP&C
    replied
    Sharp looking truck!

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I have always wanted to copy this build and put it in my tbird

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-engine-build/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X