The SHO is go!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SHO is go!!

Well, after coercing one of the techs here at the dealership to help out with the SHO project, and a couple of Saturdays and an evening here, the SHO is pretty much ready to go on its first track outing. This is the 95 manual trans. car that I picked up late last fall off kijiji for $900. Definitely challenged cosmetically somewhat, but still presentable. It had worn out suspension and brakes, but that was not a concern since it was all stuff that I would want to upgrade or refresh anyway for open-track use.

So we got the Koni inserts installed in to some extra OEM strut housings, with the Eibachs over top, along with a 26 mm rear stabilizer bar from an 89 SHO. Those are in the car now, along with fresh OEM rear brakes and Hawk HPS pads, and SN95 Mustang Cobra 13" fronts with Hawk HP+ material. The 94-up Taurus front spindles accept the Cobra PBR brakes as a bolt-on, we only had to drill the 5 on 4.25" wheel stud pattern in to the rotors, and do a bit of filing on a big ridge of the caliper housings for the Taurus flex hoses to clear, pretty straightforward.

I had scored a deal on a clearout through one of the local wholesalers on a nice set of 18x8" Team Dynamics wheels (good quality Brit stuff, not crappy Chinese castings), they happened to have one set in the stupid Taurus / Volvo bolt pattern with the right offset. On those we mounted a set of Dunlop's extreme performance tires, the Direzza Star Spec, which are basically one step away from R-compound track rubber, but still have a 200 treadwear rating.

We got everything buttoned up this afternoon, and did a quick alignment to get it close to what should work for street and track. Once the springs settle in, we'll recheck it. Unfortunately what started as a beautiful day here, up in to the low 80s, changed to a big thundershower by the time we got the car off the rack. So I couldn't really push on things too hard yet, but let me tell you, those Dunlops hang on like a mofo, even in the wet. The tests and reviews on Tire Rack were all pretty positive, so I was confident they would perform well ... but even so I was very impressed.

The first track outing for the car was to be next Friday, but that event got cancelled. So the following weekend is the first Solo I school of the season, I've been invited out to instruct with that group again. It's on the small track at Mosport, so it will be a good opportunity to test things out with the car, see how it works under those conditions. I'm hoping that with the sway bar combo I have now, along with the adjustability of the shocks, that I can get the car to be fairly neutral handling. Understeer push is deadly slow in a FWD car, so getting it dialed away from that is important.

I'll get some pics with the new wheels and stance later, and post them up. The wheels are very low key gunmetal grey, the tech doing the work with me said I should paint the whole car that colour, and then it would like Robocop's ride. ;D

Of course I will also report back on how the first track day goes, it should be fun and challenging. I haven't raced a FWD car in more than 10 years, and didn't do a lot of it back then really.

cheers
    Ed N.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Re: The SHO is go!!

Sounds like a cool ride.
    1 guy from Ohio ran his at maxton 163+ and runs it on road courses.
    Cool fast cars.
    terry

Comment

where are the photos ? is a 95 the V8 sho ? are you looking for a race with a 300m ? :'(

Comment

95 is the last year of what is referred to by the SHO enthusiasts as the "Generation 2" body style, so it is still the 3.0L DOHC V6 when hooked to the 5-speed trans. The auto. cars got a 3.2L for a bit more torque. 96-99 "Generation 3" with the 3.4 V8 were available as auto. only.

We also had to to do brake lines, park brake cables, front lower control arms (ball joints are integral), outer tie rod ends and stabilizer bar links. Good thing I'm in the business, or it could have become real expensive. :

I'll get some pics this week for sure and post them up. Drove around a bit more today in it, feels pretty solid at above-legal highway speeds. Looking forward to trying it out at the track in a few weeks.

cheers
        Ed N.

Comment

Needs a good cleaning, which I haven't given it since purchasing late last year:

Pretty serious tread blocks on the Star Spec tires:

The Team Dynamics wheels and Cobra brakes on the front:

Comment

Looks like a race car to me.
            terry

Comment

Are the wheels, tires, and brakes worth more than the rest of the car?
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

They certainly are!! ;D

Of course the great thing about being in the business is getting wholesale pricing or better on the parts, but it still adds up.

The idea is that if I happen to prang a wall big time at a track event, I can unbolt the good stuff, and then find another car to reattach it to.

cheers
                Ed N.

Comment

Hello, McGard? Do you sell wheel locks for a '95 SHO?

Comment

Yes, those are on the to-do list. Should probably pop a set on before I take it home this weekend. :

cheers
                    Ed N.

Comment

SHO engines make me want to build a lightweight driver with one of them and a Ranger trans. I wonder how a mid 60's Falcon or Comet would do with a 3.2L with 3.0L cams and a stick for a daily driver???
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Finished my first day helping out at the Solo I school. Was out with the other instructors for almost an hour at lunchtime, then we also had a 45 minute session at the end of the day.

Both sessions were wet, lunchtime one more so. We were on the small driver development track at Mosport, not the main Grand Prix track (that will be next month for me), so it was all second and third gear. Initial impressions are that the car is working pretty well, I had no idea what do to for shock and tire settings, so since it was wet, I left things where I had them set for the street, about 1/4 hard on the Konis, and 34 F / 30 R on the tires. There wasn't much standing water, and IMO the Dunlops performed extremely well.

In the first session the only other instructor car quicker than the SHO was a track-prepped E30 BMW, I was getting by everyone else, some of them pretty rapidly. In the late session the track was a bit less slippery, so the FWD advantage didn't work as well, but I still was as quick as or quicker than the other instructors running. Weather forecast is showing some dry spells tomorrow, so hopefully I get a chance to play with the shocks and tire pressures a bit to get a better feel for the car. The Star Specs have lots of grip, with a fairly progressive breakaway too. So far I am pleasantly surprised with how well the car is doing, it was a lot of fun to roost around in today.

cheers
                        Ed N.

Comment

Well, I had a bit of FAIL on Sunday. It was cool and dry, and the instructors were allowed out for a short session in the morning while the Toyo Tire reps were giving a presentation to the students. So I turned up the shocks a bit, added some air to the front tires, and had at it. Car was decently quick in the dry, I was hanging just fine with a prepped 1LE Camaro, and went by a 135 BMW. We were running the track in reverse direction as well, the layout there allows it, and I had never run that configuration ... so I was learning my way around while trying to feel out the car in the dry. After about 20 minutes I decided to come in to take a look at how the tires were doing, to see if my wild-ass guess for settings was in the ballpark or not. As I came off the track in to the paddock area, the temp gauge shot up, and some coolant steam was coming from under the hood, and coolant leaking out underneath. Let it sit for a few minutes before investigating, couldn't see anything obvious other than the steam coming from the reservoir. So I helped with the students for the morning, then tried it out again at lunchtime. After 2 laps the temp was going to 3/4, so I pulled in and parked it. Tried to drive the car slowly on the road outside the track to see what would happen, same thing, so it ended up going home on the back of a tow truck. :P

Good thing I have CAA for a free tow, we'll have to do a pressure test on the system today to try to determine the problem. Nothing too serious hopefully. Guess this is the downside to trying to wail on a 15 year-old car without knowing the real history on it, but I was prepared for the idea that something like this might happen the first time out. Oh well, had some good fun with it anyway, the car felt very strong on the dry track, definitely more fun and easier to throw around the track than the SC was.

cheers
                          Ed N.

Comment

Pics? Please?

Comment

Static pics above, no pics of on-track action yet. Hopefully there will be some people shooting at the next event I go to. It was pretty funny watching the 1LE Camaros desperately searching for traction coming out of the corners in the wet, while I had my right foot pretty much planted. They would quickly give me a point-by as I came up on them. ;D

cheers
                              Ed N.

Comment

Working...
                              X