No announcement yet.

68 Road Runner "The Motovator"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I took it on Drag Week I would have to be in the same class as a certain Cammer powered Shelby.

The engine going into the Road Runner is the 499 out of my GTX. It's 400 block with aluminum main caps, and a tall fill. The 4.150 stroke crank is from Eagle as are the 440 length rods. Flat top Ross pistons and a custom ground flat tapper cam round out the short block. Heads at INDY SR's opened up to Max Wedge port size. Compression is 13:1. INDY rockers and intake. It has a Holley 1050 Dominator and Hooker 2" Super Comp headers. This combo made 732hp and 635trq.

The transmission is a Jerico DR4. Clutch is a McLeod SoftLok reworked by Tim Hyatt.

This combo ran 9.85@137mph in St.Louis in my GTX @ 3430lbs. The Road Runner should be 3100lbs or less. It will not be a gutted she'll. I have factory door panels, carpet, headliner, and the stock dash is going back in. A few of HEMI Joel's top secret F.A.S.T. Tricks will go into the build. I can't stand gutted cars, so this will not be my first.

Comment

I just now had the time to go through the thread properly. Like the others have said, GREAT story and plan! And secret HEMI Joel tricks to boot!
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The 499 in the GTX. It will look different in the Road Runner.

Comment

Originally posted by JERICOGTX View Post
          I actually do have a furnace for my garage, just have never hooked it up. Waiting on another friend to return some favors as that is what he does for a living. I'm in no rush.

As for being a shop monkey for Joel... It's not a glitz and glamour. He is a slave driver and the pay is horrible. I'm only kidding of course. Joel and his family are the nicest people you could meet. He treats me well. I've had the chance to see and do tons of stuff automotive with Joel that I never would have otherwise.

so that's what a clean, organized shop looks like.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It was actually a mess then. Been worse, been better. LOL

Comment

Been better? I don't mean to be rude, but quite frankly I think you need to see a psychologist about that OCD
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Great story about a great car. Looking forward to the progress on this project.
                Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

I hear that the UPS man was good to the Motorvator this week.
                  Last edited by Hemi Joel; November 12, 2015, 02:03 PM. Reason: How do you spell to?

Comment

SPILL!

Comment

Just a couple odds and ends. New wheel tubs, Moroso screw in breathers, MSD distributed cap and my 5 gallon fuel cell mounts. As someone that can't leave anything alone, I painted the distributed cap tan like they were from the factory in 68, and had the breathers machined down to take the logo off. A couple perks of my job are I can have stuff machined, and we have a large powder coating line at work. Almost every single bolt on part for the car has been powder coated. Every suspension part, the Dana 60, and K member is coated and ready for assembly.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

MUST HAVE PICS!!!! We like pics of parts, too.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; November 13, 2015, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            MUST HAVE PICS!!!! We like pics of parts, too.

Dan
                            Yes, especially for people like me who can't read or write.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

And some of us who can't read or write are illiterate, too. But never mind our parentage........

Dan

Comment

I'll try to get some pictures of parts. Most are boxed up and packed away.

Comment

Working...
                                X