No announcement yet.

68 Road Runner "The Motovator"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess I'd forgotten that my '68 had a turquoise engine.

Dan

Comment

The 68's also had a black "Voice of Road Runner" horn. I went with the non correct '69 version in purple since the back in the day had the Silver leaf lettering outlined in purple. I am also going old school and tinting the headlights purple.

Comment

Love this build and the history. Looking forward to seeing it come together. Got any details on the steering rack setup? What spindles/steering arms does it use?

Comment

It uses stock spindles and lower ball joints with the factory arms cut off. I made my own arms to get the best Ackerman I could get and welded them to the stock spindle. I. Will have to dig them out and get a picture. The rack is a Rick Jones Pinto piece. Trying to get good geometry is almost impossible but the car is going to be very limited, no more then 1 1/2" at the wheel.

Comment

Thanks for the info, look forward to seeing the extra pics

Comment

Neat build!
              See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

Here are the spindles with arms welded on.

Comment

I'm interested to see how this all fits together. I've always been afraid to weld on suspension bits - if you've seen my welding you'll know why!

Dan

Comment

I had these welded at my work. We have a oven that gets the part cherry red, weld the pieces together and then back in the oven for a controlled cool down. The spindles are cast steel not iron. Should be no problems.

Comment

THAT'S how you do it! I seem to lack said oven (and the skills to use it).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by JERICOGTX View Post
                        I had these welded at my work. We have a oven that gets the part cherry red, weld the pieces together and then back in the oven for a controlled cool down. The spindles are cast steel not iron. Should be no problems.

Nice work, got any pics of the back side of them?

Comment

You do know your stuff on Ackerman I see when converting a drag link to R&P.Bob Bolles has a pretty good book and he covers this.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

One more thing to check off the "To Do" list. I brought my radiator into work today and had the tanks and sides powder coated. I masked off the fins so they wouldn't get plugged with the powder. Once the powder was applied the tape was removed and it then goes into the oven to be cured. When I got home today I masked off what was powder coated and gave the fins a coat of Krylon Fusion Satin Black. I could not be happier with the results.

Comment

A couple before and after painting the cooling fins.

Comment

Looks awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X