No announcement yet.

68 Road Runner "The Motovator"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the dash all mocked up. Picking away at some winter projects. The gauge cluster is gutted as is the radio. It all just looks the part. Overall, this is close to 20lbs lighter than my '69.

Comment

• Spent the weekend cleaning up, and polishing all the chrome/stainless trim I have for the car. Missing a couple small things, but have them located. I'm almost out of small projects for the car now. Just waiting for warmer weather, to get back on the body work, and paint.

Comment

• completely totally and in all other ways this thing over flows with awesome. The fact that you found the old owner, and you're making it look better than it ever did just gives me goose bumps. Well done on all the metal work, I really like the way you tied the sub frame together with the round tubing.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Yesterday, I painted the Kirkey seats, and some interior pieces. The color is the factory code UU1, Light blue metallic. This color was used on the upper doors, and the headliner retainer trim. Originally the car had a bench seat with 2 tone blue vinyl. Since my Kirkey seat covers are dark blue, I figured painting the seats light blue, would bring back some of the original look as best I can. Really happy with how they turned out, and good to see some color on things finally.

Comment

• Trying to kill the winter blues, I've been working on some of the sub assemblies. I got the wing/vent windows cleaned up, and assembled with new seals. I also got the lower control arms assembled to the point they are ready to be installed on the K member, and brakes are ready to install. I'll wait until the car is painted for that.

Comment

• Great project and very cool old Motivator pictures!
              Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• I picked up a set of restored door latches for the car. Of course I couldn't leave them alone. Since the car is a race car, the door locks have been removed, and smoothed out, so I removed all the locking parts from the latches. It saved a few ounces of weight.

Comment

• I pulled the locks and mechanism from Mutt. The race officials don't want the doors to be locked in the event of a track incident so while not required it IS considered a good thing. I even plug welded the key lock dimples and finished them before I did the paint. I was pleased that it took VERY little filler to make them disappear.

Dan

Comment

• Did a final mockup of the front suspension to make sure I have everything. Tie Rods will be completed when the car is all assembled, and on the ground.

Comment

• Damn, thats cool!
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by moparjim71 View Post
                        Great project and very cool old Motivator pictures!
                        Thanks Jim. I'm hoping to display it in the Midwest Mopars race barn some day. I did find out there is a car show in August, in the town the car was from. I am going to try and have it finished for that, but not a for sure thing right now.

Comment

• I know the year is incorrect, but it is well intended for motivational purposes...
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• My favorite year - 1970 (had one). The '68s and 69s were pretty similar and of course the 71s were the new body style leaving the '70s all by themselves. I liked 'em then and now.

Dan

Comment

• Got some block sanding done over the last couple weeks. The bumpers are ready for final prime, and the decklid, and doors are ready for primer. I'm working on the hood right now, that one will take a while. Also is a picture of the new parachute handle, and inside the car, On/Off power switch handle. I wanted something that looked better than the flat aluminum piece, so a friend from work designed these. They are 3/8" thick, and have a nice radiused edge to them, and look similar the trunk hinges, and seat brackets that he also made for me.

With some luck, this turd might get painted this year..

Comment

• In order to get the car to a friends place, to use his paint booth, I need to take the car off the rotisserie, so I can transport it, and get it into booth. It will then go back on the rotisserie. Here are the bolt in wheel dollies I made for it. The wheels are 10", and will be easier to move around.

Comment

Working...
                                X