• Show
Clear All

• More 12 cylinder stuff

Click image for larger version

Name:	hood off.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	1067718

Had the hood off the other day, thought I would snap a pic.
    See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

MUST.....HAVE......MORE......PICS!!!!!!

VERY interesting. Is it 2 plugs per cylinder? Maybe a shot down at the top of the engine from a step ladder? And is it an Auburn body? I've been to the ACD Museum many times but of course nothing's running and it's SO cool to see one of these cars used in anger (like Joel's Deusenberg). Just very cool.

Dan

Comment

Yep.. 2 per cylinder!
      Amazes me to see the intake and exhaust coming in/out the top!
      Dan, if you look at his sign. Line at his post, he says "32 Auburn Sedan"
      Those look very compact compared to most V-12's

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Yep.. 2 per cylinder!
        Amazes me to see the intake and exhaust coming in/out the top!
        Dan, if you look at his sign. Line at his post, he says "32 Auburn Sedan"
        Those look very compact compared to most V-12's

I wonder if they made a 6 cyl with that head. Use 2 6 cyl heads on a V12?
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Name:	aub sub heads.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	743.4 KB
ID:	1067935

You guys might be getting confused with the cylinder heads. There is a cylinder head on each bank (like normal).
          Where the spark plugs go, that piece is the "Sub Head'
          here is a pic of Auburn "sub heads". They only had 1 spark plug per cylinder. The American lafrance sub heads have 2 plugs per cylinder for fire duty/backup redundancy.
          personally, I like the dual plug heads, it really confuses people.

The Auburn ones are "RARE", and hard to find. It has taken 3 years to collect these 3. (no, they are not for sale)
          Last edited by V12guy; November 3, 2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Name:	aub sub head rear.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	799.4 KB
ID:	1067938

This is the back side of an Auburn sub-head. the design concept was that the valves can be removed/serviced easier this way as it is a side valve engine. (valves sit horizontally)
            You can also see how they make up the volume for the combustion chamber. Not an easy piece to duplicate with the water jacket around this.
            Attached Files

Comment

Name:	al head.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1067943 A pic from my own website, that shows the main head on, and one sub head.
              (sorry, it doesent enlarge well)
              Attached Files

Comment

Interesting engine. One of the cool parts about the older engines is that there was not a formula in place yet and different folks had different ideas about what was going to work. By the first post-war overhead valve V8s the basic architecture was pretty well set and that was built from that day forward, more or less. The Rocket 88 had approximately the same configuration as the LS series with the cam in the middle of the block, the valves over the pistons, etc. But the pre-war stuff - pretty much anything goes. F-heads, of course the Offy's with no removable cylinder head, etc, etc. And they all ran!

V12guy - THANKS for joining BangShift! We LIKE the odd stuff and not everyone has V12 Auburn power in their Auburn street rod. BTW - I perused your build link and it's well worth the look!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X