Orangutruck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, how about you all tell me....

so it will be orange and white because I don't want to change the color on it. It will be 2wd
    it will be low

but what should I do? the first step is going to be reassemble it and throw a seat cover at it and some carpet.... but then what?

what should be my end goal? it's a solid, 1/2 ton truck IT MUST BE SELLABLE!!!!! yeah, it'd be cool to throw my $20,000 twin-turbo buick motor in it, but no. Just no, it would lower the value of the truck and waste a motor that belongs in the Buick it's intended for.

I'm thinking bone-simple. Get a short bed, shorten the frame, LS motor, 4 speed automatic, a/c, power windows.... 30k-50k truck all day long. So there's the base line. lower it a bit, maybe bags - make it shiney with all the stock chrome, steel wheels and poverties. Alternatively, we all know that, while I utterly detest Ford powerplants, body styles, and transmissions, suspensions and differentials are an entirely different story.... even a blind squirrel finds a nut, and Ford's nut is their suspension... so maybe a Crown victoria complete suspension on the front and a crown vic rear end adapted to the track-bar old-truck system. Honesty, I was looking for a 3/4 ton because that is exactly what I'd do to it.... but the next truck was $2000 more than what I paid for this - I can buy a BBC for less than that - of course, once I'm done buying chrome my opinion about my great deal may change....

anyway, I have a transmission to install... ttfn.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

If your going for something to sell convert it to a short bed go all out BBC and a 4 speed. If you want a truck keep it long bed and go with the LS
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
        can't wait to see what the evil genius has in mind this time??? Buick Power??? DirtyMax???Cat Power??? will wait with baited anticipation...
        All I have to say is that with Cat Power and Buick Power in the same thought and Buick being his dog.... I'm seeing a treadmill under the hood with that poor dog running away to try and move the truck.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
          All I have to say is that with Cat Power and Buick Power in the same thought and Buick being his dog.... I'm seeing a treadmill under the hood with that poor dog running away to try and move the truck.
          Ever notice his screen name?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            well, how about you all tell me....

so it will be orange and white because I don't want to change the color on it. It will be 2wd
            it will be low

but what should I do? the first step is going to be reassemble it and throw a seat cover at it and some carpet.... but then what?

what should be my end goal? it's a solid, 1/2 ton truck IT MUST BE SELLABLE!!!!! yeah, it'd be cool to throw my $20,000 twin-turbo buick motor in it, but no. Just no, it would lower the value of the truck and waste a motor that belongs in the Buick it's intended for.

I'm thinking bone-simple. Get a short bed, shorten the frame, LS motor, 4 speed automatic, a/c, power windows.... 30k-50k truck all day long. So there's the base line. lower it a bit, maybe bags - make it shiney with all the stock chrome, steel wheels and poverties. Alternatively, we all know that, while I utterly detest Ford powerplants, body styles, and transmissions, suspensions and differentials are an entirely different story.... even a blind squirrel finds a nut, and Ford's nut is their suspension... so maybe a Crown victoria complete suspension on the front and a crown vic rear end adapted to the track-bar old-truck system. Honesty, I was looking for a 3/4 ton because that is exactly what I'd do to it.... but the next truck was $2000 more than what I paid for this - I can buy a BBC for less than that - of course, once I'm done buying chrome my opinion about my great deal may change....

anyway, I have a transmission to install... ttfn.
            To be my normal shill self... Here's some ideas I have good; HVAC, underbed fuel tank, and power accessories are default on all of them:
            1. Keep the long bed, put Crown Vic under the front and Explorer IRS in the back, iron head 383 LT1 in the nose and a 4L80E. Maybe bag it, maybe not; but overall set up to be the kind of truck you take to Bonneville or the Badlands or Power Tour. Make the interior make you think about spending the day in it on the road vs. wanting to take a rest and eat inside. Budget type build with the money in the right spots.
            2. Pre-Runner, AMC style! Longbed, shortbed, short bed on a long bed frame with an extended cab... whatever on that front. 4.2L Atlas I6 with a Whipple, paddleshifted 6LX0, use the narrow engine to make a long arm front suspension. Outback put a Jeep WK1 8.25in axle (5x5in floater) with a Durango Watts linkage cover on it and build an adjustable torque arm setup for the rear suspension. Agressive All-Terrains on 18in wheels. Baja style seats with grab handles and gauges for the passenger to focus on for the interior and a front stinger and twin spares in the bed.
            3. Good'Ole Truck Friend. LS truck motor (Aluminum 5.3 or something mainstream), 6L80E, Crown Vic front suspension, 8.8in rear axle (mainly to keep the bolt patterns the same), later model truck seats with the seatbelts in the seats, center console with cup holders and a box to put maps and such in, 17in wheels with some form of HiPo SUV rubber on them. Really nice paint and bright work and a wood bed.

That's what I got.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I see the same rust spots on the floor that my truck has. This era of trucks had zero rust proofing in the rockers. Even the ones in southern cali rusted there. The side cab mounts are also a problem. Fortunately, the patch panels are dirt cheap.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

A simple, logical solution:

- BB MOPAR stroker 400 with Indy heads.
                - Ford Toploader
                - Dana 60 rear
                - adapted Javelin dash w/Vintage air
                - Mercedes seats recovered in a Mexican blanket fabric

Just a simple, practical solution.

Dan

Comment

Although I prefer the long beds for practicality and function, the short beds do sell for a LOT more money. If your long term goal is to make money on this thing, then yeah - get a short bed and cut the frame. Convert it to a short bed, make it pretty, mild engine, overdrive trans, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    A simple, logical solution:

- BB MOPAR stroker 400 with Indy heads.
                    - Ford Toploader
                    - Dana 60 rear
                    - adapted Javelin dash w/Vintage air
                    - Mercedes seats recovered in a Mexican blanket fabric

Just a simple, practical solution.

Dan
                    that's what I like about you, Dan, always using the most simple solution. Like that S10, simple as the day is long.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      I see the same rust spots on the floor that my truck has. This era of trucks had zero rust proofing in the rockers. Even the ones in southern cali rusted there. The side cab mounts are also a problem. Fortunately, the patch panels are dirt cheap.
                      Yep, yep, yep, and yep.

SBGs truck, not from the rust belt. Considered prime stuff in Ohio.

My '67 truck, typical Ohio rust-belt truck. Actually slightly above average condition for original unrestored sheetmetal.

Once again, I ponder the wisdom of a potential move to the Northwest....hmmm....

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I like how they stuffed rags in holes to keep the bees from finding a home....

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                          Although I prefer the long beds for practicality and function, the short beds do sell for a LOT more money. If your long term goal is to make money on this thing, then yeah - get a short bed and cut the frame. Convert it to a short bed, make it pretty, mild engine, overdrive trans, etc.

You know, it's interesting, but folks our age like the short bed. under 30? they like long beds. Of course, folks under 30 have (generally) less money then the ones over 40.... but if you stack two beside each other, one LWB one SWB, in equal condition and equal price... the decision of which they'd take follows what I said before.
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 15, 2015, 09:13 AM.

Comment

That truck brings back memories as my grandpa had one that looked identical to it except it was a 4 speed
                            CHECK US OUT AT:
                            www.ridetech.com

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Yep, yep, yep, and yep.

SBGs truck, not from the rust belt. Considered prime stuff in Ohio.

My '67 truck, typical Ohio rust-belt truck. Actually slightly above average condition for original unrestored sheetmetal.

Once again, I ponder the wisdom of a potential move to the Northwest....hmmm....

You don't need to move. Just don't buy local. With the exception of the Beetle (based on condition) that is my firm rule.
                              Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                              74 Nova Project
                              66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                              79 Chevy Truck Project
                              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I can usually find decent stuff down here. Drop me a PM and I'll go looking.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X