X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

You're killing me here Smalls.

Aaaagh!!!!

But it's a rusted-out-non-running-pos.... I don't understand your issue(s). As Bob said, I overpaid by $100-200....

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 16, 2015, 02:07 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      $550 is what I paid for it..... eventually I'll get better pictures up....
      Somehow I figured it was right about that much. I paid a bit more for mine but I did hop in it and immediately drive 670 miles. I think we both did pretty well. Looking forward to the pictures.
      Last edited by 74NovaMan; December 16, 2015, 02:42 PM.
      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

soon it will drive.

spare transmission

1800 stall torque converter

under truck

in truck

need to get a few missing parts - mostly the rear straps - but should be on the road tomorrow.

Comment

Awesome progress.
          Brake inspection next?

Comment

nope, brakes work even the e-brake works

Comment

back on the ground, would have driven but didn't get the right u-joint straps... forgot to mention "heavy half ton" because those have 12 bolts not 10 bolts...

Comment

Whenever I look at an early 70s GMC/Chevy truck and see an LS in the bay, I die a little. It looks like a hot dog in a hallway. Big box little present. Getting generic as a 5.0 Mustang with a cocky Oakley wearing driver.

If it were my truck and my money, I'd stab a big block in there w/ fuel injection. Just my 2 unwanted cents.

Comment

Hmmm, so when someone sticks a turbo or two on an LS motor in the cavernous engine compartment, you die? then you probably don't want to follow along - just for your own safety because I wouldn't want to be the person to shorten your life; not even a little bit ;)

Comment

I've driven it.... two, maybe 3 things.
                    1) I think it's got a posi rear because otherwise it never would have made it out the hole that is the hill to my shop (verify with Remy)
                    2) I think it's 3.73 gearing
                    3) it drives very well
                    4) it seems to have leaks just about everywhere and from the oil rings as well. With that said, the oil ring issue may be just because this thing hasn't been licensed/driven in at least 3 years.... last licensed in 2013

Comment

1) I think it's got a posi rear because otherwise it never would have made it out the hole that is the hill to my shop (verify with Remy)
                      3) it drives very well
                      4) it seems to have leaks just about everywhere and from the oil rings as well. With that said, the oil ring issue may be just because this thing hasn't been licensed/driven in at least 3 years.... last licensed in 2013
                      two...three...do I hear four????Just Sayin'...glad she's a runner!
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I thought all half tons of this generation got the 12 bolt, I know they did 73-81 when they went to the 10 bolt.
                        Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                        1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                        1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

I have no idea.

Comment

Can't say all, but most got the 12 bolt.. I have seen the 10 bolt in some..
                            I've got a 77 SWB 4X4 and a 78 2wd both have 12 bolts.. Son picked up axles from a 79-4X4 and the rear was 10 bolt..
                            Not sure why, as my 77-4X is plain single color/no trim model and a 6 banger..
                            Maybe the fancier ones are merely "cars" while the ugly ones are workers..
                            When it comes to cars, the 12 bolt is stronger.. But pickups (half tonners) the strength seems the same unless you have the smaller rear.
                            I believe the 12 bolt supposedly uses less power to turn.. Fact or not, who knows..
                            I still rather have 12 bolts as 12 is bigger than 10 numberically

Comment

The ones with 10 bolt covers were Dana 44's. They were mostly 12 bolts by 69. It seems that the Dana's were in leaf spring rear trucks.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

3) it drives very well
                                1. Not surprising
                                2. Good. Now for the 31x10.50's
                                3. Good. Now fix the cigarette lighter.
                                4. It's a Chevy. Cut it some slack. Drive it around for a while and see what seals itself with use.

I forgot to say in the other "what would you do with it" thread - I would love to see a super mild cammed, long runner intake like a TPI, low pressure turbo 307 in there. I've given some thought to a turbo'd 289 for my Lightning for the same reason. I think you could get really decent fuel economy as long as you kept your foot out of it, and it should make better torque where you use it in a truck over a big inch mill. Stock truck (vortec) heads would probably make killer low end power.

You mentioned computer for the trans earlier. I think I read that the primary development work for the Microsquirt as a trans controller was done with a 4L80E. They are relatively inexpensive.
                                Last edited by Beagle; December 19, 2015, 04:58 AM.
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X