Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    The block checked out very well. I am going to go with the .005 over pistons and hone the cylinders to fit likely under $100 (vs $480 for boring oversize). My piston choices are 7cc dish: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-2999273785-7 or 2cc dome: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-2999273785-2

If I use the 706 heads that I have (pressure tested good) my compression ratio is either 9.7 or 10.9 respectively.

I have a line on 317 heads from a 2008 6.0L that were removed at under 10,000 miles from new that I can get for cheap. These would be ready to run but the chamber size is 71cc (vs 61cc for the 706 heads) Compression ratio for this head is either 8.7 or 9.6 respectively. This is according to the chart from Summit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston Choices header.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1259519

Name:	Piston Choices.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1259518

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

whatever Google tells me...
    I see how you are! Making me do my own research!

Seriously, I very much appreciate your input on all of this stuff even if I end up going another direction.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

Thanks for the note on ring gap. I probably would have missed that. What are you planning for your gaps?

The new rods come with ARP bolts.
    whatever Google tells me...

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    if you do forced induction, remember to increase the gap on your rings..... that would really bite to spend all that money then hang a ring and break a land....

oh yeah, and buy the ARP bolts
    Thanks for the note on ring gap. I probably would have missed that. What are you planning for your gaps?

The new rods come with ARP bolts.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    if you do forced induction, remember to increase the gap on your rings..... that would really bite to spend all that money then hang a ring and break a land....

oh yeah, and buy the ARP bolts
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 3, 2020, 08:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    like most anything, replace the rod bolts with ARP and it will be fine. If you're planning on more then 600 hp, then rods are important.... at least that seems to be the prevailing theory. If you're not planning more then 6500 rpm, you don't even need to change the bolts.
    I did not heed your earlier advice/warning and went down the rabbit hole yesterday "researching" the rod/rod bolt issue. Here is my logic (FWIW):

Given that the pistons need replacing I have it broken down to 2 options.

Option 1:
    Stock style oversize piston to work with my original rods are $290: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...make/chevrolet
    These require boring the cylinders: $480
    ARP rod bolts: $97
    Total: $867

Option 2:
    Forged pistons in either .005 over (for a hone) or .030 over (bore) $500 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...make/chevrolet
    Boring the cylinders (worst case assumption) $480
    New Rods $440 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...2521/overview/
    Total (worst case): $1,420

The cost difference is $553. Seeing as I'm rapidly approaching $3,000 why stop short on doing it right the first time. It also sets me up nicely for forced induction or nitrous (which may never happen). If I only needed rings, I'd just slap it together and call it a day.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    I like the Scat H-beam rods in my Fords - no clue if there is any issues with them in an LS engine. As to the bore - IF (IIIIIFFFFFFF) the bores are round and straight - then honing them to size probably will be OK. If the skirts are worn, I would suspect that there could be some wear in the cylinders as well. Honing does not always square up everything and remove the taper. What does the machine shop charge to hone ($150 - $200)?

Since we are spending your money, I would put a stroker kit in it while it is apart. As someone once said - there is no replacement for displacement!
    The machinist said that he would be checking the block today. If there is any question, I'll just bore it at this point. I already have the stock crank polished and ready to go, but I did consider a stroker kit for a few minutes.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    like most anything, replace the rod bolts with ARP and it will be fine. If you're planning on more then 600 hp, then rods are important.... at least that seems to be the prevailing theory. If you're not planning more then 6500 rpm, you don't even need to change the bolts.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    I like the Scat H-beam rods in my Fords - no clue if there is any issues with them in an LS engine. As to the bore - IF (IIIIIFFFFFFF) the bores are round and straight - then honing them to size probably will be OK. If the skirts are worn, I would suspect that there could be some wear in the cylinders as well. Honing does not always square up everything and remove the taper. What does the machine shop charge to hone ($150 - $200)?

Since we are spending your money, I would put a stroker kit in it while it is apart. As someone once said - there is no replacement for displacement!

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Just got word that the crankshaft cleaned up with just a polish. I'll pick that up in a few days. Should be about $150 with bearings.

In other news, I've spent far too much time looking at connecting rod information and looking for piston/rod combos. My machinist has not measured anything yet but did not like the look of the piston skirts and said replacement is probably warranted. I can get .005 over forged pistons for $499.99: https://www.summitracing.com/search/...re-in/3-785-in .030 over versions are the same price but come with the need for $480 in boring the cylinders. Any of these pistons require a 6.125 inch long connecting rod (which may be a worthwhile upgrade anyway). This is a likely candidate: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...2521/overview/ If I believe the internet, these are a deal over new bolts and resizing the rod ends (to the extent that is even possible on the LS cracked cap rods).

There are too many variables and none of the cheap stuff makes much sense to me given the assumption of piston replacement.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Planning on dropping off the block and heads at the machine shop today.

Name:	IMG_5302.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	1258699

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Crank looked very good. I ran out of workbench space though.

Name:	IMG_5300.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	1258697

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Rod bearings looked very good. There was some light scoring on the mains.

Name:	IMG_5291.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1258689

Name:	IMG_5290.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	1258690

Name:	IMG_5293.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1258691

Name:	IMG_5296.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1258692

Name:	IMG_5294.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1258693

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Pistons came out easily (no ridge on the cylinder). All looked pretty consistent. Not sure if the scoring on the skirts is anything to be overly concerned about. I'd like to reuse the pistons and rods.

Name:	IMG_5289.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1258695

Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_5297.JPGViews:	0Size:	192.2 KBID:	1258687
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; December 23, 2019, 09:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X