• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Seems I heard someone say once - "if it don't go CHROME IT!"
    If it's garage art, it may as well look pretty!

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    During:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1121992[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1121993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1121994[/ATTACH]
    Seems I heard someone say once - "if it don't go CHROME IT!"

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    During:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9047.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	1121992

Name:	IMG_9048.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	1121993

Name:	IMG_9049.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	1121994

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Last weekend we picked up the grill, headlight buckets and turn signal lights from a 75-78 GMC. We were hoping to install the original style 73-74 grille pictured above but the hood latch bracket and the mounting brackets for that year are different from 75-80. I'll chase those down eventually. In the mean time we have this:

Before:

Name:	IMG_9044.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1121988

After:

Name:	IMG_9052.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1121989

Name:	IMG_9053.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	1121990

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    So last time I went to drive the truck, it would not move because the transmission leaked out too much fluid. Today I finally had some time to work on it so instead of working on the transmission leak, I swapped out the grill. We picked these up yesterday:

Name:	IMG_9041.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1121985

Name:	IMG_9042.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1121986

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    My thoughts exactly...

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    Chris, I'd do the flip kit without the shackles, to keep the truck with a little rake. forgo the c-notch, add some progressive bump stops, and some air helper springs...then you can tow/haul to the truck's original weight rating. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1115765[/ATTACH]
    http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/ener...dword&gclid=Cj 0KEQjwlNy8BRC676-W0JezxbwBEiQA4Ydg0Xz_IP7DIl3Gd_T6AfciBml_pm1MKLaF0 _Ug6uJ1QPwaApv98P8HAQ
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1115772[/ATTACH]
    http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....5d3ccd8db86684
    That approach is probably more sensible. If I use the air helpers, maybe I can loose a leaf or 2 to get a little extra drop and a softer ride when empty. Thanks,

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I may not be thinking about this right but, if 10% of the trailer load is on the tung and the loaded trailer is 6000 pounds. Then it's 600 lbs on the hitch. Would you let 3 of you buddies sit on the tailgate or stand on the bumper if the truck had a c notch.
    If I'm concerned about the scenario above (and the question is: should I be?) I certainly shouldn't trust it while hauling 6000 pounds down the road. At a minimum I think I'd weld a plate on the open side of the frame rail at the "C" for extra insurance. Thanks for the input.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Chris, I'd do the flip kit without the shackles, to keep the truck with a little rake. forgo the c-notch, add some progressive bump stops, and some air helper springs...then you can tow/haul to the truck's original weight rating. Click image for larger version

Name:	99104r_lg.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	1115765
    http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/ener...dword&gclid=Cj 0KEQjwlNy8BRC676-W0JezxbwBEiQA4Ydg0Xz_IP7DIl3Gd_T6AfciBml_pm1MKLaF0 _Ug6uJ1QPwaApv98P8HAQ

Name:	177b798bc7259d8f930a2dbdb5ebbc96.image.250x200.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1115772
    http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....5d3ccd8db86684
    Attached Files
    Last edited by silver_bullet; July 26, 2016, 06:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I may not be thinking about this right but, if 10% of the trailer load is on the tung and the loaded trailer is 6000 pounds. Then it's 600 lbs on the hitch. Would you let 3 of you buddies sit on the tailgate or stand on the bumper if the truck had a c notch.

If it's slammed all the way you might need air bags to bring it back up when loaded or 3/4 ton / over load springs

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Thanks guys! Keep the input coming!

Would air shocks work to handle the extra load?

Leave a comment:

• 1badmonkey
    replied
    i would hook up your trailer, put a car on it, and do some measuring to see how far the truck drops from the weight.

your truck will look great, but not sure how user friendly it will be.....

do it, worst case, you pull the shackles and put shorter ones in!!!!
    you'll need a receiver hitch and one of these.. 6" rise ball mount

Last edited by 1badmonkey; July 25, 2016, 10:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Assuming that the job was done properly (I'd weld the kit in) I can't see why that would impact trailering ability. I haul with a lowered Dodge (though no C-notch) and it works great.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Supposedly c-notched done right are as good as stock..
    That kit looks like it addresses the problem, but man there are lots of holes in it..
    One of my dualies was c notched and the c misses the axle.. No other plate added but cut pipe in the c..
    I am using a different frame to fix it and plan to box the upper part before adding the c..

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    To accomplish the drop above, I would need to do a C-notch. This is the kit referenced in the article:

Name:	c-notch.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1115590

If you installed the C-notch above, would you use the truck to haul a loaded car trailer? Would you weld in the C-notch? Do I need to limit the drop to retain the original frame (no notch) if I want to haul a loaded car trailer?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X