• Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    alumeeenum is purdy.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Got the driveshaft last week and finally tried it yesterday. Fits like it was made for it, which is good, because it was. It is extremely shiny though. I'm tempted to shoot it with a little flat black but I probably won't. I really should get after the fuel lines next so that I can get the bed back on it and out of my way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7344.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	1290732

Name:	IMG_7345.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	1290734

Name:	IMG_7346.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	1290733

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Got my trans crossmember drilled and bolted in this weekend:

Name:	IMG_7267.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	1289799

Also installed the headers (again) the drivers side just clears the frame. With the old mounts, there was a slight interference. I decided to dimple the header tube for a little extra space.

Name:	IMG_7258.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1289800

Name:	IMG_7261.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	1289801

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Tried the donor driveshaft (because I needed yoke details). I didn't realize how close it was. New shaft is on order. 5" aluminum with 1350 u-joints. Clearance will be tight if I notch the frame (which I'm not planning to do yet).

Name:	IMG_7215.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1288807

Name:	IMG_7216.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1288808

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Did they do the job?

Dan
    Much better and a much cleaner look. Glad I spent the extra $.

Name:	IMG_7220.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	1288804

Name:	IMG_7222.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	1288805

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Did they do the job?

Dan

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    On Sunday, I swapped out the motor brackets and moved the mount to frame brackets back to their proper position.
    Old Brackets:

New:

Name:	835.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1288714

Alignment Issue:

​ ​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Success!

Name:	IMG_7200.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	1288627

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Also unfortunately, all I had to work with was a come along! I'm not doing this again without an electric winch.

Name:	IMG_7196.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	1288625

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    I have done almost nothing to the truck project since my last post. I spent a moment or two gathering the motor parts thinking I should put that together and swap it for the junk yard 5.3 currently sitting in the truck. Figured out the ring gap I wanted to use and almost started assembly, but that failed to happen. So I sprayed down the block and bagged it back up. Reviewing this project thread recently has made me realize that I've spent a lot of time and $ on things that did not necessarily get me any closer to a running and driving vehicle. The new plan is to only do things that are necessary to make it run and drive. Anything that can be pushed to after that point will be going forward. Last weekend we moved the lift into its regular working spot (my high lift door conversion finally happened) and we moved the truck onto the lift. Unfortunately, the approach to the shop is up hill.

Name:	IMG_7195.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	1288623

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

Well I did just put a new gears and posi in a rear end that only "needed" a pinion yoke upgrade. See also the pages on the motor rebuild. If I give in to any more "while I'm at it" it may never see the road!
    I know nothing about that.... though wait until you run afoul of the SEMA effect.... I love Kindig designs, but darn that guy and his perfect cars. I've said it before, I'll say it again (though it does not seem to ward off the SEMA effect*) never let perfect get in the way of done....

*even innocent ones like Gas Monkey, what they show on TV is not easy.... watch the guy who's rebuilding the Gas Monkey pickup - all that stuff they never showed in the initial build takes a tremendous amount of time....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 19, 2020, 02:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

well sure, there is that.... but you seem to have forgotten the power of the incantation "while I'm at it" or "I'll be mad if I don't just do this one little thing"
    Well I did just put a new gears and posi in a rear end that only "needed" a pinion yoke upgrade. See also the pages on the motor rebuild. If I give in to any more "while I'm at it" it may never see the road!

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    Thanks Patrick

The big difference here is I don't want this one to be shiny at all. I'll probably spruce up the interior, but my plan is to leave the outside and underside alone from a finish perspective.
    well sure, there is that.... but you seem to have forgotten the power of the incantation "while I'm at it" or "I'll be mad if I don't just do this one little thing"

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Thanks Patrick

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    as if that's ever stopped you before
    The big difference here is I don't want this one to be shiny at all. I'll probably spruce up the interior, but my plan is to leave the outside and underside alone from a finish perspective.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    I personally like it just like Vic and Terri's shop truck!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X