74 NovaMan's 1979 Chevy Truck - LS Swap - 5/6 Drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Looks like an honest truck. Needs a name, though.
    Dan
    Thanks Dan - Diego is the front runner for a name. We need a "D" name (probably male). The collector plate for this one will end in D. Wisconsin issues a numbered plate for the first one and each plate after that gets a letter. Mustang is A, Bug was B, Camaro will be C. Plates can be reused, but the cost to reassign a plate is as much as a new plate. The best one I have seen is a J plate. The goal is to get to Z.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

That is strange. Both sides almost in the same spot. What's it look like underneath the hood? Either way, it looks cool and that patina is perfect.
      Visit my sons blog:
      www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Damon23 View Post
        That is strange. Both sides almost in the same spot. What's it look like underneath the hood? Either way, it looks cool and that patina is perfect.
        Underside is covered by under hood bracing and looks good.
        Last edited by 74NovaMan; December 17, 2015, 09:06 AM.
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Interesting. I was going to guess that someone closed the hood on something then tunked the spots down but it would show in the bracing. Must have dropped something on the hood?

BTW - I replaced the trunk lid on my Camaro and painted it with cheap automotive paint to get the color right. In about a year outdoors it dulled to an almost perfect match for the Earl Shieb-ish paint on the rest of the car. If you want to keep the "patina" (not a fan) you could do that and let it sit outside for a while.

Dan

Comment

That would probably be a alternator pulley come loose maybe.

Another thing Chris. I heard that a red pad and some CLR would lighten up that surface rust to where you could clear over it. Something I've considered on the rear of my car.
            Damon got it!

Having owned several of these era trucks, many of them had alternator cooling fan failure ... sounds like a grenade going off under the hood... had one blow on my 76 chevy truck back in the day... opened the hood and there was shrapnel in the hood, the washer tank, the overflow tank, clipped the upper radiator hose, but , didn't leak...the problem was that with age, stress cracks occur and when revved hard, separate... voila! I didn't even realize the missing fan until I found the parts of it!
            Last edited by silver_bullet; December 17, 2015, 05:51 PM.
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I'm a fan of these years of truck, probably my favorite. Those white door panels are supposed to be pretty rare too.
              Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
              1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
              1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

So Chris, have you got this thing on airbags and LS'd yet?
                Visit my sons blog:
                www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

So Chris, have you got this thing on airbags and LS'd yet?
                  Ha! I'd love to say we've made great progress on the truck. All we've done is use it to pull the car trailer from the back yard in case we need it over the winter. That exercise added a posi rear end to the list. I looked under the truck today and there are significant puddles of ATF and oil with maybe a little bit of coolant. Sealing up the leaks and basic maintenance will be the first order of business. Need it to be reliable and not leave a trail before we start in on any upgrades.
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

It's just marking its territory, making itself at home.
                    Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                    1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                    1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

Ordered some stuff from Rock Auto on New Year's Eve.

Spark Plug Wires
                      Air Filter
                      PCV Valve
                      Spark Plugs
                      Crankcase Breather Element
                      Radiator Upper Hose
                      Radiator Lower Hose
                      Thermostat

Got all that for $89. I'll need to pick up fluids and heater hoses locally.

While I will be focusing on the mundane stuff at first, I have been looking ahead towards lowering the truck. For the front, drop spindles are likely the first step. From there I'm considering something along these lines:

Click image for larger version

Name:	front air bags.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	1078527
                      Using Air Ride shocks, spindles and bags runs about $1,000.

The big question I have about the front is: Is there a limitation in how far I can drop the front using the factory wheels and A-Arms?
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

For the rear lowering, I am looking at 3 options so far.

#1: Axle Flip - Cheapest

#2: New Spring Hangers - Still fairly cheap

Name:	Rear lowering.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	1078533

#3: Cool Ride Tech system - $1,700:

Name:	73-82C10_small.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1078534
                        I am on a budget on this project, but the one thing the truck must be able to do is haul the loaded car trailer without issues. I am guessing option #3 would be the most user friendly in that regard.
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

ummmmmm, # 3... sexy.....

keep in mind, with a flip kit, 99% of the time you have to do a C notch on the frame. this is main reason my suburban doesnt have s flip kit on it.
                          my truck has spindles and springs in the front, and shackle/hangars in the back, with and a lowering leaf spring. i had to put air shocks on it to tow my car trailer. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5982.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1078565

with an 8" rim, the biggest tire i can run on the front is a 255-60-15 (i run a 255-30-22 on it in the summer)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0149.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	1078567
                          Last edited by 1badmonkey; January 6, 2016, 11:56 AM.
                          Charles

Comment

I'm REALLY happy with the RideTech ShockWaves in the front of Mutt. I would recommend that you toss the pivoting 90* fittings (ShockWave to line) that come with the kit - mine both leaked like a sieve but a quick trip to Parker store fixed that. Nice system and easy. I just fill mine with compressed air thru a Schrader valve but of course you can spend as much as you want on a compressor and controller.

They ride great at low pressure (about 40 lbs) going down the Ohio Mile though I have no clue how they would act on a real road - probably good, though.

Dan

Comment

You'd probably want to run a rear anti sway bar with option #3. you'd loose the anti roll properties of the leafs.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Your number 3 option - there are FAR less expensive 4 link/bag options available. Ebay is your friend, but so is JEGS - I have a 4 link/bag system that was to be on the Sledanette... it was like less than $500

it appears JEGS no longer sells their branded one, but even the ride-tech one that requires a bit of fabrication isn't too bad

$450. To that you need to add bag mounts and bags (another $200)... or you could go more custom and simply buy brackets and come up with your own system.

$700 from ebay
                                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 8, 2016, 07:40 AM.
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X