Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stewzer55 View Post
    What's the rear end ratio?
    That is a good question. I would guess its a 2.7 or something in that range based on the freeway behavior on the trip home. I'd like to upgrade to a 3.08 or 3.23 posi at some point which is another argument for overdrive.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

need to figure your tire diameter in to the overall gear ratio as well... I'd probably run a 3.42 with the OD 3.31 without...just my personal experience...3.73 works well with a 31 inch tire... about 2000 rpm at 70 mph...in OD...locked converter...
      Last edited by silver_bullet; April 12, 2016, 05:24 PM.
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

Do you have any feel for how much you gained (mpg-wise) with the lockup?
        It gained a solid 3 mpg. 1980 Chevy Vandura 1/2 ton, all the aero of a breadbox, edelbrock intake and carb, mild rv cam, dual 2 1/4" exhaust thru turbo mufflers, #4000 on the scales, driven like a punk kid - 15 mpg. Parked it when gas prices shot up around 2004?

I wonder if the TH350C and the 700R4 use the same converter? Sounds like something GM would do.....

If you need pictures or info on how the 350c lockup is actuated let me know, I'll snap pictures and spill the beans.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          Then I decided to hook up the little vacuum switch that engages the lockup electrically just to play with it. Wired in a toggle switch to be able to deactivate lockup from the drivers seat. That did come in handy while towing on long gradual grades, it tended to "hunt" a little bit.
          Reading back over your post reminds me that my first 700r4 (in the Nova) used a vacuum switch for lockup and I remember liking that setup better. You have me rethinking my no lockup decision. I ran some math and figure if I drive 10,000 miles a year (which would be using it as my summer DD) and I can increase mileage by 3 mpg (with overdrive and/or lockup) it is as much as $500/year, figuring a 14 mpg starting point. If I only drive 2,000 miles per year (more likely), that same 3 mpg gain only nets me $100.

If you need pictures or info on how the 350c lockup is actuated let me know, I'll snap pictures and spill the beans.
          That would be very helpful. I'm guessing that that would be applicable for the 700r4 as well. Thanks for the help.

Edit: The savings above were calculated at $4 per gallon.
          Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 13, 2016, 10:55 AM.
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
            need to figure your tire diameter in to the overall gear ratio as well... I'd probably run a 3.42 with the OD 3.31 without...just my personal experience...3.73 works well with a 31 inch tire... about 2000 rpm at 70 mph...in OD...locked converter...
            As much as I like the stock rims that are on it, options for the 15" rim in a low profile wide tire are not good. Tires that are on it have like new tread but are 7 years old. The stock replacement tires are about 28.3 inches tall. When the time comes I am hoping to get a set of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	wvi-38-501205_w.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	1097220

Name:	wvi-1002-c-1_w.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1097219

and wrap them with these:

Name:	bfg_gforce_comp2as_pdpfull.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1097221

It's a 245/50 R16 - the same tire the Camaro takes. (cheap and available and not likely to go out of production soon - I hope) 25.7 inches tall with a 8.5 inch tread width and 10 inch section width. I'll probably want to lower it some first.
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Underhood vacuum switch that takes the signal from the carb and completes the electrical signal to the transmission. Only allows lockup with high vacuum signal, and unlocks as soon as the signal drops (throttle blades open further)

Literally a ignition hot input and output.

Underdash showing the other end of the wires above.

I spliced a toggle switch into the circuit, and a indicator light so I could "see" the converter lock and unlock.

Black toggle is the one I used to control lockup. The red light below lights up when locked. Not necessary but interesting to watch at first......later was lots of fun as passengers would panic when the red light came on! Oh my!

Not much to it in reality. Very simple to figure out if already there, and very easy to add to a vehicle without th350c lockup from the factory.

Hope this helps.

Comment

That's great! Thanks!
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Green and purple carpet!
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Chris,
                    Have you considered BFG Radial TA 295/50R15? It would fit the stock 15X8 wheel. I used to run 31X10,50X15 on my old C-10's
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      Green and purple carpet!
                      Stiny be PIMPIN in his PIMPMOBILE!

Comment

Fashions change...........

Dan

Comment

to run that short of a tire... you will need to SLAM that truck
                          Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Stiny be PIMPIN in his PIMPMOBILE!

Yeah baby, yeah! (hi-jack over)

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                              Chris,
                              Have you considered BFG Radial TA 295/50R15? It would fit the stock 15X8 wheel. I used to run 31X10,50X15 on my old C-10's
                              Thanks for the recommendation. They are pretty proud of those suckers ($190 each). I do like the look of the RWL BFGs though and these are even wider than the 16" tires I specd above by 1.5". I will definitely keep those in mind.

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                              to run that short of a tire... you will need to SLAM that truck
                              I suspect that you are correct and I also have the feeling that I should not go quite that far with it. Good thing I have plenty of time to figure it out. Patrick's recommendation may help me keep things on a more reasonable track when the time comes. Thanks for the input.
                              74 Nova Project
                              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Yeah baby, yeah! (hi-jack over)

That had to be quite the chick magnet!
                                74 Nova Project
                                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Working...
                                X