No announcement yet.

74 NovaMan's 1979 Chevy Truck - LS Swap - 5/6 Drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at Cooper Cobras...they have the look of the BFG T/A without the price....

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

That had to be quite the chick magnet!
      Hooked my wife while driving it.....guess so!
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

If you have any questions I can help with on the suspension feel free to let me know.
        CHECK US OUT AT:
        www.ridetech.com

Comment

If you are looking for something a bit more reasonable, try a 275/60R15... it is a taller tire that is a bit narrower and would fill the wheel openings nicely!
          275/60-15
          Cooper
          Cooper Cobra Radial GT P 275 /60 R15 107T SL RWL (Reading the Tire Size)

All-season cosmetic performance tire.

$119.00 each
          Add To Cart
          Found it Lower?
          Let us Know!

Use Your Discount Tire Credit Card to Qualify for a $40 Mail-in Rebate on a set of four
          Free Shipping
          Customer Rating
          For All Vehicles (25)

Read Reviews Write Review

Mileage Warranty 50,000 Miles
          Treadwear 440
          Traction A
          Temperature B
          Speed Rating T
          Availability In Stock

The Cobra Radial G/T is Cooper's all-season cosmetic performance tire that is targeted to buyers who prefer raised white-letter styling in an all-season tire. Available in a wide range of standard and low profile sizes, the Cobra G/T is especially popular with drivers of older domestic "muscle cars" who still want to retain the characteristic "look" of their vehicles.

Flat Tread Profile
          Optimum footprint shape helps distribute the vehicle load improving handling and overall wear.

Performance Tread
          Increased tire-to-road contact which leads to improvements in treadwear and handling.

50,000 Mile Treadwear Protection Limited Warranty (U.S. only)

Last edited by silver_bullet; April 14, 2016, 05:52 PM.
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

My truck engine....496 CI BIG Block and these seat came out of a '90 Tahoe. Should be able to find them easy at the local U PULL IT.
            Last edited by Big Dave; April 14, 2016, 07:52 PM.
            Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
            The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
              Hooked my wife while driving it.....guess so!
              Got mine while driving this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bessie 4.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1097572
              Attached Files
              Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
              79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Joe and Patrick - Thanks for the tire suggestions. The tires on it are Cooper Cobras 255/70 R15.

Big Dave - Looking forward to seeing your truck in person on Power Tour this year.
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Got mine while driving this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1097572[/ATTACH]
                  With an outdoor privvy, no less

Comment

It's getting pretty hard to find a good set of 15" tires, really thinking about Cooper Cobras for when the craptastic tires wear out on the Olds.
                    Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                    1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                    1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

Joe and Patrick - Thanks for the tire suggestions. The tires on it are Cooper Cobras 255/70 R15.

Big Dave - Looking forward to seeing your truck in person on Power Tour this year.
                      I like the 255/70 on an 8" rim for these trucks. 29" tall something close to 8" tread. I couldn't find a 255/70 with a decent "truck" tread last time I needed tires, so I went with the 31/10.50 in a Michelin LTX M/S which do a great job of filling up the wheel wells, are great in rain and sand, and last a long time. The down side is they killed gas mileage and acceleration due to my 2.73 gear... really good on the interstate - but I spend most of my time around town pulling a trailer.

Since getting them, I have discovered treaddepot.com, and see that Cooper makes their AT3 in the 255/70. These will likely be my next set of tires. I keep hearing good things about them.
                      Only $115, while the Michelins were $200 each.

Comment

nice call on the tires! I run AT3s on the ZR2 and they wear like iron... excellent tires!
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

With an outdoor privvy, no less
                          some junkies just are born with a spoon, for the rest of us .......................
                          nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

So we decided to rebuild the 700r4 for the truck as that fits better with the long term goals and it makes sense to not spend $ on the TH350C if that is the case. While having that debate (mostly internal) we needed to buy another $500 worth of stuff to do the Camaro Top replacement "right". Then we factor in the need for tires for the Nova (rears are 12 years old and fronts are 14) and we will be patching up the leaks as best and cheaply as we can in order to put off the 700r4 conversion to a later date.

In other news, one of the rear wheel cylinders has let loose and doused the shoes. I was hoping to turn the drums, but there was not enough meat left to work with so I have new wheel cylinders, drums and shoes on the bench waiting for me. I'm not expecting to get to any fun stuff on the truck for quite a while at this point.
                            Last edited by 74NovaMan; May 2, 2016, 08:21 AM.
                            74 Nova Project
                            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

No progress on the truck this weekend but I did score some "ink" on the main page!

74 Nova Project
                              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Cool Chris! It'll be fun to see how everything comes out. My last one was a '80 that started life with a Diesel. In MI the bodies of the Diesels held up pretty well 'cause they wouldn't start in salt weather! I installed a BBB and a TH400. That was many moons ago.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X